[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk small SUVs

matt770

I have a 2010 Escape limited awd with V6..I really like it.

I get 21 mpg in the winter and now that the summer gas is being sold the last two tanks I am getting 24.5 or so. The 4 cyl front wheel drive are rated at 30 mpg. The sync system is nice for blue tooth phone, navigation and other voice controlled stuff.

I have a 2010 Escape limited awd with V6..I really like it.

I get 21 mpg in the winter and now that the summer gas is being sold the last two tanks I am getting 24.5 or so. The 4 cyl front wheel drive are rated at 30 mpg. The sync system is nice for blue tooth phone, navigation and other voice controlled stuff.

She mentioned the Escape hybrid as her first choice. Not sure the modest bump in fuel economy compared to the standard 4 cylinder model justifies the big jump in price.

She mentioned the Escape hybrid as her first choice. Not sure the modest bump in fuel economy compared to the standard 4 cylinder model justifies the big jump in price.

The hybrids provide thier mileage boost in city driving so it would depend on how much driving is in stop and go traffic. I never drove a 4 cyl but they say they scoot along pretty good. The V6 has 240 hp and is more than enough. If I would have bought mine in the last few months I sure would have at least test drove the 4 cyl. I was a life long GM and Chevy fan. This is my first Ford and I really do like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Went with the Chevy Equinox. Man, have Chevys come a long way. Notice the Equinox wasn't even considered when we first started thinking about this purchase. Did a little research, turns out it's at or near the top of the category across all the major publications and it's a Consumer's Digest Best Buy.

My wife liked the Nissan Rogue. I liked the Equinox from what I read online. I anticipated a disagreement, and from experience I decided it would be best for my long-term happiness to let her get what she wanted even if I didn't agree it was the smartest purchase.

So the plan was to go to the Chevy dealer first, then Toyota to look at the Rav4, then Nissan last. We get to the Chevy dealer and were completely floored. We fell in love with the thing right away. It is cavernous on the inside, very well appointed and loaded with all the electronic conveniences. My favorites are the AUX and USB ports hidden away in the center console (which is huge), the remote starter, and the blue tooth/On Star mic/speakers. The leg room is insane. If I put the driver's seat all the way back, I could barely reach the pedals, and I have always had to go all the back on every other vehicle I've driven. The rear bench seat slides back too, so the leg room back there is massive as well. This is supposedly a small SUV, but the inside feels much larger.

It handled really well, but felt underpowered with the 4 cylinder engine. They had a more powerful 4 cylinder, but the tradeoff in price and fuel economy was not worth it. The one we ended up getting is rated 32 MPG on the highway, pretty sweet for the size of the vehicle.

We did end up driving the Rogue too, but it was no contest. It's a lot smaller, the interior felt cheap and flimsy, and the price was roughly the same. The only plus was the CVT transmission which really makes for smoother acceleration.

Really happy we traded up and got rid of the Caliber which was complete garbage. My wife has a vehicle she will love driving to work every day and we will use this for long trips instead of my truck.

Didn't see before and realize it's moot now, but I have a Mazda Tribute going on 6 yrs (basically a Ford Escape) and no complaints. Knock on wood but not a single problem with it in any way shape or form. Rides well (not amazing but hey it's an SUV) and very good on gas. IMO best-looking SUV on the road too.

Well OK one small criticism: no towing "pipe" or whatever attached to the back. wtph kind of idiot omission is that for an SUV?

Can it at least tow a Honda Odysey out of it's own shame and misery?

Get Da Vette.

They had the most badass '64 Sting Ray convertible in the showroom, interior completely original and in absolute mint condition. I just stared at the thing for the longest time. How could it be so perfect? It looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. It belonged to the owner of the dealership (and about 5 others on the block). I wonder how much such a vehicle would cost? Easily 6 figures I would imagine.

Well OK one small criticism: no towing "pipe" or whatever attached to the back. wtph kind of idiot omission is that for an SUV?

What they are doing now is putting little 4 cylinder engines into bigger vehicles so you get the comfort of a full-sized SUV with better fuel economy. Technically they may be "small SUVs" but it really is a misnomer in the context of what a true full-size SUV can do.

Like I said, the Equinox felt underpowered but women typically are not as concerned about such things. She sure as hell won't be towing anything with it. The 32 highway MPG is a no-brainer with $4/gal. gas and all the long trips we take.

Not sure how I missed this, but I bought a Rav4 last August. Love it. V-6, 269HP, 14.9 second quarter mile, ~6.6sec 0-60, (I blew off a Mustang a few weeks ago :wacko: ) and still gets 20+mpg around town and 25+mpg on the highway. Lots of room, but the 3rd row is small (I didn't get that but looked at one in the showroom).

Not sure how I missed this, but I bought a Rav4 last August. Love it. V-6, 269HP, 14.9 second quarter mile, ~6.6sec 0-60, (I blew off a Mustang a few weeks ago :wacko: ) and still gets 20+mpg around town and 25+mpg on the highway. Lots of room, but the 3rd row is small (I didn't get that but looked at one in the showroom).

So you can only have 5 people waving at the Mustang left behind instead of 7 or 8?

:tup:

I have a CRV. My only complaints are the ride is rough with lots of road noise, and a questionable AWD even with the best snow tires made on the car. Seats are okay comfortable not exceptional, and easy to drive with good steering radius, and no blindspots. It is very reliable. I live in the mountains and still have original brakes, and no repairs yet with 73K miles. Mine is an '05' SE model.