[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You know what else can't be good?

peepinmofo

A depreciating dollar is not a terrible thing for the American economy right now (as it will boost our net exports).

That's great, if American businesses start hiring workers here and not farm out increased production to overseas shops.

That's great, if American businesses start hiring workers here and not farm out increased production to overseas shops.

Does a good made by a US company offshore and then sold to another country count as an export? Example: iPads sold in Europe.

The bills are coming due. It sure is fun charging them up getting everything you want, ain't it? Paying them off...not so much.

Don't I know it. I've still got 23 payments left on my RealDoll, and she's all beat up already.

Don't I know it. I've still got 23 payments left on my RealDoll, and she's all beat up already.

Look at Mr. Fancypants. I'm so poor, I just have sex with duct tape nowadays.

Does a good made by a US company offshore and then sold to another country count as an export? Example: iPads sold in Europe.

the only part that would count as an export to the US would be the value of the iPad actually produced in the US. If no components of the iPad are made in the US, then none of it would count as an export for the US.

the only part that would count as an export to the US would be the value of the iPad actually produced in the US. If no components of the iPad are made in the US, then none of it would count as an export for the US.

So if the thing is completely manufactured in China and sold to a German in Europe, it doesn't count as a US export but (I guess) counts as a Chinese export, right?

Kinda generates a slightly skewed view of exports, I think.

Look at Mr. Fancypants. I'm so poor, I just have sex with duct tape nowadays.

Don't you hate it when the glue from it builds up and then when you go from flacid to erect again you get that tearing of skin where the folds were while flacid?

So if the thing is completely manufactured in China and sold to a German in Europe, it doesn't count as a US export but (I guess) counts as a Chinese export, right?

yes

I don't understand this comment. What is skewed about it?

yes

I don't understand this comment. What is skewed about it?

Well, to use the prior example, the money paid by the Europeans for the goods, or some of it, winds up back with the parent company, doesn't it? It's not like China gets the whole profit, thus the export has value to both China and the US.

History will remember corporations outsourcing because they don't want to pay more than 18 cents an hour. These minimum wage laws were just too tough to make a profit.

Manufacturing jobs are minimum wage? I honestly have no idea, but that seems... suspect.

Well, to use the prior example, the money paid by the Europeans for the goods, or some of it, winds up back with the parent company, doesn't it? It's not like China gets the whole profit, thus the export has value to both China and the US.

Just for clarity, the income flows you are talking about (i.e. dividends and interest payments) are added to net exports to get something called the current account balance. The current account balance is more important (and appropriate to look at for many purposes) than just net exports, but since net exports are by far the largest part of the current account balance for most countries (US included) people generally just focus on net exports.

doesn't the German in Europe have to buy those with USD? :wacko: we win either way :tup:

Pffftttt, look at Mr. Big who can afford duct tape! I'll be just fine with my neighbor's knotty tree, thank you!

Bees, Squirrels, Chipmunks and snakes like knot holes. Proceed with caution... or a great deal of vigor maybe you can kill them or render them unconscious prior to you being.... well... maimed.