[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about electricians

Jackass

so i have a question about electrician rates i'm curious about. I was going to install a few ceiling fans in february so i got an electrician to come in and he gave me a quote for $1000. there's not a light fixture in two of the rooms and that's why it's so expensive. so due to some other financial obligations at the time i postponed the project. i just emailed him last week and he replied that it's more expensive to install fans in the summer so his quote has gone up 20%. this to me sounds like he's jerking me around for some reason - maybe i pissed him off or something. i plan on shopping around, but just wondering if anyone's ever heard of this.

Does he/she have to get up into a 140 degree attic space to run new wires? My electrician will charge more for that...attics in December are a far cry from attics in July. I don't know the percentage though.

Did you get more than one estimate?

:wacko: A G to "install a few ceiling fans"???

What is your definition of "a few"?

And why are you paying an electrician to do the work when a competent handyman could do it just as easily? Does code in your jurisdiction dictate that a licensed electrician perform the work?

I mean, installing ceiling fans is a borderline DIY job if you ask me, and I'm not the handiest of fellas.

I wouldn't pay more than $50-75 per fan, unless - as Bunzie said - there is extensive work that needs to be done in the attic, etc.

E2A: OK, just re-read. No light fixture = they have to run a line... :tup: I still think $1,000 is pricey for "a few ceiling fans".

Edited by darin3

If this is just for installation I would think you could do a lot better. I do a lot of turnovers for apartments and minor remodels for rental homes. While I could probably do the new installs I usually have an electrician do them. Running the wires can be a pain and you need to properly install a support bracket up top. I paid $150 each plus materials, to have 2 ceiling fans installed in rooms with no existing fixtures about 3 years ago. As for the rooms with fixtures I usually charge about $50-$75 each for installation. At 1st installation looks a little intimidating but ceiling fans are not that hard to install when the wiring is already there.

My electrician charges $95/hr flat. He doesn't do estimates but after using him several times I found him to fast and efficient.

We had a fan installed in our BR, no ceiling fixture so he had to run new wires. It took him around 2 hrs to install. I had it done on a 500 day at his request and it was still pretty hot up there. He said if he was going into an attic on a hot day, it would take him twice as long to cool down periodically and re-hydrate.

this is not an attic. just a regular condo. i do live in a large city so i would expect prices to be a little more expensive. i have gotten a two other quotes, one was higher and one lower. the lower one, the guy ended up not returning my call so i went back to the other guy. i will continue to shop around. i was really just wondering if it was normal for an electrician to bump his prices up that much in the summer. hell, if that's the case i'll just wait until fall.

A grand for two fans is absurd. I just had a pergola built over my patio, and the electrician I'm using is charging me $300 for wiring the fan, switch, and install of the fan itself. Make some calls to friends who have used an electrician they have been happy with. That quote is out of bounds IMO.

A grand for two fans is absurd. I just had a pergola built over my patio, and the electrician I'm using is charging me $300 for wiring the fan, switch, and install of the fan itself. Make some calls to friends who have used an electrician they have been happy with. That quote is out of bounds IMO.

actually it's 3 fans, 2 have no wiring and 1 does. the initial quote was 1000. now it's up to 1200. it sounds high. i am going to look around a bit.

this is not an attic. just a regular condo. i do live in a large city so i would expect prices to be a little more expensive. i have gotten a two other quotes, one was higher and one lower. the lower one, the guy ended up not returning my call so i went back to the other guy. i will continue to shop around. i was really just wondering if it was normal for an electrician to bump his prices up that much in the summer. hell, if that's the case i'll just wait until fall.

It sounds like the guy is in the ballpark for your local prices.

And at 1200 it sounds like the economy is picking up. :wacko:

I'd do the one yourself that already has a box in there (I've replaced about a half a dozen and it's not that bad). Now, if you get through that and it's not too bad, than ask for quotes for them to just install the box and you can add the fan yourself. Just an idea, but I think it'll save you some dough if that is waht you are looking for. I deal with commercial electrical contractors daily but not many resi guys. 20% sounds a bit much but depending on the heat and the PITA factor I do think they'd charge more for hot months. Hope this helps.

Edited by Square