[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cigar Question

whomper

I have an antique Humidor in my house. My Father in Law gave us a bunch of items when we first got married as he refurnished antiques back in the day. To be honest, I didnt even know it was a humidor until 3 years ago when my brother looked in there and told me. Within the last year I have taken up smoking cigars. I enjoy it. I dont smoke tons of them. I do maybe 2-4 a month. There is an old school cigar shop a few blocks from where I work so if I know I am going to have one on a weekend ill just buy one and smoke it a day later so I havent really had the need to store any

This past weekend I got a boat load of cigars as gifts. I probably have a good 15-20 of them. If I dont properly store these I will end up ruining a lot of them. This looks exactly like the one I have. The inside of the box is all lined in copper. How do I store them in here ? I dont think it is as easy as just putting them in there. I recall hearing people talk about wetting a sponge and putting it in there etc . The cigars I have are all individually wrapped in clear plastic. Do i keep them in the plastic when I put them in the humidor ? After following the instructions you guys give, how long will they last in there. Any tips would be much appreciated

Side note: My friend gave me a Rocky Patel Connecticut 1999 series cigar that I had last night. Hands down the best cigar I have ever had.

Thanks in advance :wacko:

Fart, turd, poop, boogers, kweef, balls, boobies, hummer, diarrhea, dingle berries, bush, beaver, nipples, taint, log, butthole, skeet-skeet, chin dribble, gagging, puke, lips, oral, anal, jacking, nutz, titties and goobing

hope that helps

I don't have a humidor myself but one of my best buddies does and the two of us smoke cigars like you (2-4 per month). Anyways, I'm not sure how you keep the box humid but I do know that my buddy puts his cigars in there un-wrapped. Also, you can age cigars like wine, so I don't think there's a threshold on how long you can keep them in there.

From the reading I have just done... You need to keep the humidity around 70%, but not over 74/75%. Ideally you would also keep the temp at 68 degrees, but we know that ain't gonna happen. There are a couple of places to get the Hygrometer and Humidifier on line.

There is probably a reason why it is copper lined, the wood used in building it is not Spanish Cedar and this copper lining keeps the wood from cupping and exapnding to the point where it breaks apart while absorbing the moisture.

Hygrometer

Humidifier

You now have a nice base of cigars on which to build...probably time to get a decent humidor for yourself. The biggest issue you might have with your antique one is the seal. You won't be able to keep the cigars fresh if the seal isn't 100% tight. If the seal is good, just get some cedar trays or sticks to put into the box along with your cigars, hygrometer, and humidifier. The cedar will absorb the moisture and emit it at desired levels. The only downside I have heard to copper humidors is that, if not cleaned regularly, they can tarnish...and the chemical reaction that tarnishes the copper can also leave your cigars with a strange taste. Never had a copper humidor, but they sound like a lot of work.

If you are unsure about the seal, you might want to invest $30-50 into a new humidor, most of which come lined with cedar. They usually come with an attached hygrometer (which measures the humidity levels), as well as a humidifier. If you get a new one, gently sponge the inside of the box with distilled water to condition the cedar, then add water to your humidifier. Monitor the humidity levels for the first day or two, and adjust as necessary...you'll want a constant 72-74% humidity level.

Nice part about cigars is that, as Brent mentioned, you can keep them as long as you want as long as you keep your humidor at the right levels. And you also have the ability to bring back dried-out cigars if managed correctly.

In the meantime, put your cigars in an zip lock bag (unsealed), then place them inside a second, larger zip lock bag with a damp sponge. Zip the second bag to seal everything inside. This will keep them fresh until you figure all this out.

You now have a nice base of cigars on which to build...probably time to get a decent humidor for yourself. The biggest issue you might have with your antique one is the seal. You won't be able to keep the cigars fresh if the seal isn't 100% tight. If the seal is good, just get some cedar trays or sticks to put into the box along with your cigars, hygrometer, and humidifier. The cedar will absorb the moisture and emit it at desired levels. The only downside I have heard to copper humidors is that, if not cleaned regularly, they can tarnish...and the chemical reaction that tarnishes the copper can also leave your cigars with a strange taste. Never had a copper humidor, but they sound like a lot of work.

If you are unsure about the seal, you might want to invest $30-50 into a new humidor, most of which come lined with cedar. They usually come with an attached hygrometer (which measures the humidity levels), as well as a humidifier. If you get a new one, gently sponge the inside of the box with distilled water to condition the cedar, then add water to your humidifier. Monitor the humidity levels for the first day or two, and adjust as necessary...you'll want a constant 72-74% humidity level.

Nice part about cigars is that, as Brent mentioned, you can keep them as long as you want as long as you keep your humidor at the right levels. And you also have the ability to bring back dried-out cigars if managed correctly.

In the meantime, put your cigars in an zip lock bag (unsealed), then place them inside a second, larger zip lock bag with a damp sponge. Zip the second bag to seal everything inside. This will keep them fresh until you figure all this out.

I have been smoking cigars for years. The only humidor I have is a large rubbermaid container. The seal is tight and it is nicely portable. I would not waste money on a wood unit unless you care about the appearance. Visit the link below for a nice humipack. They are about two bucks each and last quite a while. One or two should be fine for 10-20 sticks. Stay away from the sponge and water. If you have to use water, use distilled not tap.

Boveda Packs

I have been smoking cigars for years. The only humidor I have is a large rubbermaid container. The seal is tight and it is nicely portable. I would not waste money on a wood unit unless you care about the appearance. Visit the link below for a nice humipack. They are about two bucks each and last quite a while. One or two should be fine for 10-20 sticks. Stay away from the sponge and water. If you have to use water, use distilled not tap.

Boveda Packs

Thats actually not bad advice if you are looking for an inexpensive and/or temporary solution, or you don't desire the humidor to be something that will be a nice addition to your bar/room. Most people that get in the hobby of cigar buying & smoking also like to have nice cutters/humidors/etc. When I was smoking 3-4 cigars a week and really into it, I enjoyed the time I spent conditioning my humidor and filling it with quality smokes.

But as Caddy says, a humipack and a sharp razor blade to cut your cigars will get you the same desired result...a great smoke.

Thats actually not bad advice if you are looking for an inexpensive and/or temporary solution, or you don't desire the humidor to be something that will be a nice addition to your bar/room. Most people that get in the hobby of cigar buying & smoking also like to have nice cutters/humidors/etc. When I was smoking 3-4 cigars a week and really into it, I enjoyed the time I spent conditioning my humidor and filling it with quality smokes.

But as Caddy says, a humipack and a sharp razor blade to cut your cigars will get you the same desired result...a great smoke.

Oh come on...even a Cowboy fan can spend 4 bucks on a good 60 gauge Savoy cutter!

I still say fart, turd, poop, boogers, kweef, balls, boobies, hummer, diarrhea, dingle berries, bush, beaver, nipples, taint, log, butthole, skeet-skeet, chin dribble, gagging, puke, lips, oral, anal, jacking, nutz, titties and goobing

I love me some cigars!

My favorite site:

cigarbid.com

I've tried some others, this seems like the most reliable and carries a wide range of stock. I've also noticed prices have come down in the past 6 months and you can get some very quality sticks at $3/ea or less. The free-fall is a blast.

As far as a cutter, try some of these:

cutters

I love my Xicar cutter but I'm a snob that way. A good guillotine cutter for $2-$4 will do the job nicely. When I'm really hard pressed, the corkscrew on my swiss army knife makes for a great draw and won't split the cigar when you're piercing it.

A baggie with a soaked napkin or paper towel will keep a humidor at proper humidity in a pinch. You can also try some of the humdifying fluid. Personally, I like to use a rum soaked paper towel in an unzipped ziplock bag - the rum really adds a nice flavor. 70% humidity is the proper target - you can see some gages below also. Curing can really bring out the best in a cigar - but make sure you don't get them too moist. They'll be susceptible to rot and will be spongy and difficult to draw.

Top 4 items are humidifying fluid

I'd love to talk more cigar stuff if you're interested.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'd love to talk more cigar stuff if you're interested.

Did Bill Clinton use proper cigar etiquette in the oval office?

The only downside I have heard to copper humidors is that, if not cleaned regularly, they can tarnish...and the chemical reaction that tarnishes the copper can also leave your cigars with a strange taste.

There is already some tarnish in there . I may look into a small one.

My favorite 'bang-for-your-buck' cigar is probably Romeo-y-julieta (sp?). $7 for a damn fine cigar. My favorite go-to if money doesn't matter is a Cohiba Red or an Ashton.

I have probably had more Romeo's than any other cigar. I like them too. Their is a dominican place in the City that hand rolls cigars. 6 bucks for a hand rolled dominican and its great. I tried a few of those infused cigars too. A guy that I am friends with is a big cigar guy and he likes those. I wasnt crazy about them. I got about 10 J.R Cigars from one guy this weekend. 2 Rocky Patels and a few other assorted ones. All good stuff for my purposes. The Rocky last night was amazing. It burned for over an hour .

I had a cuban cigar that my boss got me in Korea once . It was great but strong

Edited by whomper

I can get cubans every so often. When I fly to Spain, I have to use the airport shops and they're pricey. I used to use a site called Cuban Lou's out of Switzerland, but since security is up for shipped packages I don't risk losing them anymore. Shopping the plazas in Mexico is the way to go - some really nice stuff for $5/stick or less. Nothing measures up to a cuban - nothing.

As far as non-cubans, if price is no object I shop for Monte Carlo Media Noches or Liga Privadas. Those are usually priced well past my squeal point though.

Gurkha makes a ton of varied good solid cigars, and I'll put their Legend up against any moderately priced cigar - it's simply a damned fine smoke and you can usually find it for $2 to $3 less than other cigars in its class. The Gurkha custom blends like the Beauty and the Titan are over-the-top great and you can wait until they hit $4/stick or less if you are patient. CAO's Brazilia isn't too far behind, as is Graycliffe's 1666. Man'O War Virtue is right up there too.

Picked up some Partagas Cienfuegos and some Diesel Unholy Cocktails at about $2.50/stick that make for great everyday smokes. Put on your big boy pants for the Diesels though - they have superb flavor but are robust. I prefer a rum & juice drink with them.

Bargain basement sub-$2 sticks that are solid are Indian Tabac Super Fuertes and Chavon.

Make my wrappers maduros, also. Simply can not beat the additonal taste and feel that they bring.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I only smoke dog rockets when on vacation or golfing. As previously mentioned, some really good ones in Mexico can be found. I really enjoy a good Macanudo, or Whitestar. Have had a couple Fuente Fuente Opus X that were very nice indeed also.