[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need a whole new bathroom...what to expect?

Puddy

We've needed a new bathroom for a while. It's time to bite the bullet and get some estimates. I have never had any major constuction done in the house. What should I expect from these guys? Do they come out and present full options including tile, tubs, vanity, toilet... or do I purchase those things separately? It's a small bathroom 5 x 8 so there isn't room for anything outside of those things. What can I expect to pay for a bathroom this size? What are the to do's and not to do's?

Buy the tile, tubs, sinks, etc separately on your own dime. The contractor will mark those things up. Plus, if he doesn't pay his bill to the supply house, you're on the hook. If your contractor won't work this way, fire him.

For a bathroom of that size, I wouldn't spend more than $5000. If I was doing one myself, I'd probably spend $2500 tops. And that would be with decent tile options.

We've needed a new bathroom for a while. It's time to bite the bullet and get some estimates. I have never had any major constuction done in the house. What should I expect from these guys? Do they come out and present full options including tile, tubs, vanity, toilet... or do I purchase those things separately? It's a small bathroom 5 x 8 so there isn't room for anything outside of those things. What can I expect to pay for a bathroom this size? What are the to do's and not to do's?

Add:

How long (Days) does it take? :wacko:

we just(almost...last coats of paint go on today) finished a project such as this. We ended up spending about 8k. that included new ceramic tile on the wall, new tub, vanity, toilet, and all fixtures. Also some new electrical was involved. You can certainly do it for less depending on what neeeds done.

I'm going to be forking over for the exact same thing next year. I was considering saving some money by having the tb re-lined rather than replaced since we only use it to stand in for the shower anyway.

Anyone got any thoughts on whether that's a good idea or not?

1. Get at least 3 estimates from contractors that were recommended and did quality work.

2. Expect some extra charges just in case. Plumbing lines rusting out in the wall and need replacing, rotten wood, etc.

3. Do research before you call the contractor to give him a good idea of what YOU want and don't expect him to make YOUR choices. ( I refuse to pick out peoples tile choices, etc.) I will give them ideas and such but the final decision is on YOU.

4. As mentioned don't spend more on the bathroom than what is reasonable for the house and neighborhood.

You need to get ahold of SteelBunz... she is an expert of the first order.

Yep...she came to mind first and has already reached out to me. Has offered to spend time going over everything on the phone. She sort of rocks.

And you know...Columbus is less than 200 miles away :wacko:

Prayers sent, brother.

Yep. Positive vibes coming your way Puddy.

I know...plus this house will never return the money to us but Mrs. Puddy won't let me wait any longer. I guess she's tired of the 70's diamond gold floor tiles :wacko:

I'm going to be forking over for the exact same thing next year. I was considering saving some money by having the tb re-lined rather than replaced since we only use it to stand in for the shower anyway.

Anyone got any thoughts on whether that's a good idea or not?

That was the bandaid we put in a few years ago. I will say that it is functional but not too attractive. I did have to have them come back once to readhesive the thing to the tub.

Oh and it's an expensive band aid...cost me $2k three years ago or so and that was for the basic model.

we just(almost...last coats of paint go on today) finished a project such as this. We ended up spending about 8k. that included new ceramic tile on the wall, new tub, vanity, toilet, and all fixtures. Also some new electrical was involved. You can certainly do it for less depending on what neeeds done.

I sure hope it doesn't run 8k. Was your bathroom as small 5x8 ?

5k unless yer wife puts out,or just give Bunz a blank check, she knows where to put the special blocking for grab bars and trapeze

Hmmm...never thought of pimpin my wife for construction work. It could get really interesting if Bunz takes the job :wacko:

Edited by Puddy

Buy the tile, tubs, sinks, etc separately on your own dime. The contractor will mark those things up. Plus, if he doesn't pay his bill to the supply house, you're on the hook. If your contractor won't work this way, fire him.

For a bathroom of that size, I wouldn't spend more than $5000. If I was doing one myself, I'd probably spend $2500 tops. And that would be with decent tile options.

1. Get at least 3 estimates from contractors that were recommended and did quality work.

2. Expect some extra charges just in case. Plumbing lines rusting out in the wall and need replacing, rotten wood, etc.

3. Do research before you call the contractor to give him a good idea of what YOU want and don't expect him to make YOUR choices. ( I refuse to pick out peoples tile choices, etc.) I will give them ideas and such but the final decision is on YOU.

4. As mentioned don't spend more on the bathroom than what is reasonable for the house and neighborhood.

Thanks for the info!

Yep...she came to mind first and has already reached out to me. Has offered to spend time going over everything on the phone. She sort of rocks.

And you know...Columbus is less than 200 miles away :wacko:

She most definitely rocks! And being so close..... I see good things in your remodel future. :tup:

I would fly Bunz right out to the site. Put her up in a nice hotel and let her go wild.

I can say how much prices have gone up but the last time I did my bathroom I spent 4400.00 and I did every single piece of the work myself. I am told that if I paid a contractor it would have easily been double. Now I did spend on the high end for fixtures and a really nice two piece shower unit but I am thinking that even if I went the more reasonable route I would have been close to 3k in my material only.

That room was 8 x 10 so that factors in on the ceramic tile and the bigger vanity but I am thinking you are going to be around that 5K area.

:rofl: You guys are cracking me up.....lol.

That bathfitter bandaid can be expensive. And if you had dryrot, mold and mildew...all you've done is cover it up, not repair it or get rid of it. Yuk.

If you have some old porcelain over cast iron tub, you could have it reglazed, Ursa. But I have to tell you it'll still be the same old tub...just newer looking. :tup:

I've got quite a few questions for you, Puddy......so give me that call. But you're right.....Detroit isn't THAT far away! :rofl:

With a typical 5X8 bath, there's not a whole lot of redesigning to consider. You are basically updating by replacing everything with a style you like and can afford. To do it inexpensively, you have to commit to doing the comparison shopping and pitching in for some of the work. (I hope you are better with a hammer than a tire jack. :bow: ) And by shopping well, you can afford a few little splurges that can instantly make the whole job look much more expensive overall.

If you have to have someone else do it all, a good rule of thumb for pricing is that your labor will cost you 1-2 times the cost of your materials. And if you have your contractor buy it all for you, they will add some to the cost as well. Spend 2K on materials....you'll spend 2-4K on labor. You can save yourself some money by doing some of the demo, removing wallpaper, painting....anything you feel comfortable tackling.

Bathrooms are a very specialized space of your home. Sad but true, I've seen some damn fine builders fall short in bathrooms. One consult I did not too long ago had a failing shower in the masterbath. Very nice $250,000,10 yr old home. And it all came down to the lack of ONE 2X4. The hinge side of the shower door frame never hit a stud. The door slowly worked it's way off the wall enough that water penetrated behind it and soaked that wall, under the vinyl flooring outside the shower, under the wall into the walkin closet carpeting. That's a LOT of damage from saving 2 bucks on an extra stud. :wacko:

Owning a home is ALL about controlling water. Making it go where you want it...keeping it from getting where you don't want it.

Foundations, roofing, gutters, siding, drains, pipes, faucets, etc.

Hey Puddy....maybe Mrs. Puddy would like to learn how to tile or sweat a pipe! :lol: Call me.....lol.

It can add up fast. We just spent around 50-53K for a 140 sq ft bathroom. We did gut and start over and nothing was saved. Plus this included a custom master closet re-do.

Contractors get a discount at suppy houses, and some will pass the savings directly on to you. We picked out our own fixtures and used the contractor's account. We got about a 20% discount over what the guy walking off the street got.