[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man falls to his death catching a baseball at game

BeeR

Sadly, we have a few of them right here at the Huddle.

Full video from broadcast

I am morbidly curious to see this video but cant click it for the simple fact that I dont want to see for 1 second, the sons reaction when he realizes the Dad is falling

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an accident. Can't your simple mind come to terms with that? Holy f*ck you can be a pig-headed pain in the ass at times.

Went back and deleted all of my posts here. If people do the same with my quotes, no one will have to be offended any longer.

I am morbidly curious to see this video but cant click it for the simple fact that I dont want to see for 1 second, the sons reaction when he realizes the Dad is falling

I didn't click it either. I had no desire to watch this. The story is bad enough.

Good idea. They didn't show it on the Rangers local broadcast which was good. I watched the local news and they did air it. I didn't want to see it, but I had a hard time falling asleep last night.

Well, maybe you should before judging the deceased on what you think he should have done.

BB May have worded his earlier posts a bit harsh, but there was truth to it. You've got to realize that the rails are four feet high. Six inches above what OSHA requires. The Rangers were already going above and beyond on there end. It was an accident, and I get that he was probably caught up in trying to get a ball for his son, but he did extend himself beyond the railing, and towards his left, throwing his weight over.

It's a horrible accident, but it was a stupid accident at the same time. Yes it was worded rough, but he had truth in his post.

Sadly, we have a few of them right here at the Huddle.

Nice to see someone else realize/say that. Usually BB isn't one of them though, at least that I recall seeing.

Yes it was worded rough, but he had truth in his post.

I presume you're talking about something other than the "what a stupid guy" part. It's not like the guy jumped into a vat of sulfuric acid.

Nice to see someone else realize/say that. Usually BB isn't one of them though, at least that I recall seeing.

I presume you're talking about something other than the "what a stupid guy" part. It's not like the guy jumped into a vat of sulfuric acid.

Okay, let's get at it.

1) The incident is horrific. It is awful and shouldn't have happened to anyone given the circumstances.

2) The OP blamed owners for having inadequate safety measures that caused the death. The safety measures aren't inadequate, in fact from what I have seen they exceeded OSHA standards. The man was the cause of his own death through his own actions. The owners and the stadium design had nothing to do with this.

3) What does it say about some of you who feel the need to chastise me for discussing this as being a preventable accident, when you are the same guys who aren't satisfied with the heart rending account of the story, which is horrible enough, that you feel the need to click on the video and watch a man fall to his death in front of his son?

Enough. I'm done. Have at me and enjoy yourselves.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I assume most if not all of us have attended a MLB baseball game. I would venture to say that maybe under 5% of us have ever been close to catching a foul ball and under 2 % of us have actually ever caught one. The man got caught up in the moment in an effort to snag one for his boy at the game and made a fatal mistake.May God rest his soul and look after his family

Edited by whomper

I assume most if not all of us have attended a MLB baseball game. I would venture to say that maybe under 5% of us have ever been close to catching a foul ball and under 2 % of us have actually ever caught one. The man got caught up in the moment in an effort to snag one for his boy at the game and made a fatal mistake.May God rest his soul and look after his family

Im in the "under 2%" category. But there was no rail to jump over. It almost landed in my lap.

3) What does it say about some of you who feel the need to chastise me for discussing this as being a preventable accident, when you are the same guys who aren't satisfied with the heart rending account of the story, which is horrible enough, that you feel the need to click on the video and watch a man fall to his death in front of his son?

Man, you are digging a pretty deep grave, BB.

I posted the video to refute your ridiculous claim that this guy carelessly caused his own death. He underestimated his weight transfer when leaning over the railing....thats it. End of story.

Was it a "preventable accident"? Uh, all accidents would be preventable if we all just sat at home in a chair and didn't move. He was trying to catch a foul ball, something almost all of us would love to do at a baseball game. he lost his balance, fell a short distance, and died from his injuries. I could die from falling in my driveway and landing the wrong way, or slipping while in the shower.

Let it go, dude.

Im in the "under 2%" category. But there was no rail to jump over. It almost landed in my lap.

I would be distracted by your wife and miss it all together

Nolan just gave a press conference. You could tell he was fighting back serious emotion. Terrible tragedy. They asked Nolan about the decking that used to be under those seats and he said fans kept jumping on it trying to grab balls. So I understand why that was removed. I guess nets wouldn't be a bad idea but at some point we have to protect ourselves by making good decisions.

2) The OP blamed owners for having inadequate safety measures that caused the death.

Actually the OP suggested safety measures be improved. Nobody is particularly "at fault" - as others have said, it was a terrible accident. And I realize hindsight is 20/20 but it would be even dumber to have this happen and still not do anything.

The safety measures aren't inadequate, in fact from what I have seen they exceeded OSHA standards.
"exceeded OSHA standards" doesn't automatically equate to adequate - as was clearly demonstrated here.

The owners and the stadium design had nothing to do with this.
Yes, clearly they did IMO. But I'm not implying they are heartless bastages who made no effort to consider fans' safety or it's all their fault, etc etc.

3) What does it say about some of you who feel the need to chastise me for discussing this as being a preventable accident,
It's not just what you said but how you said it. ie:

"you'll never be able to legislate stupidity out of people, and choosing to risk one's life for a baseball is right there."

Sorry but it speaks for itself.

Edited by BeeR

Nolan just gave a press conference. You could tell he was fighting back serious emotion. Terrible tragedy. They asked Nolan about the decking that used to be under those seats and he said fans kept jumping on it trying to grab balls. So I understand why that was removed. I guess nets wouldn't be a bad idea but at some point we have to protect ourselves by making good decisions.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Texas Rangers president Nolan Ryan says he spoke by telephone with the widow of the firefighter who died after a fall at Thursday night's game.

He says Jenny Stone told him that "she's very concerned about her son and the impact that this is having on him."

Shannon Stone, 39, fell over a railing in left field during Thursday night's game in Arlington, Texas, as he reached for a foul ball tossed to him by outfielder Josh Hamilton. Stone was at the game with his 6-year-old son, Cooper.

Jenny Stone, through Ryan, asked that the news media stop showing videos of the incident out of respect for her son.

"She's very concerned about her son and the impact this is having on him and rightfully so," Ryan said. "She asked me if I could do anything about the video footage being shown by the news media. I told her I would do what I could."

Ryan also said that grief counseling has been made available to players.

"It's a very, very sad day for the Texas Rangers organization with the tragedy that we had last night," he said. "It hits us at our roots of what we are. We're about making memories, about family entertainment and last night we had a father and son at the game and had a very tragic incident. It drives it to the core of what we're about and the memories that we try to make in this game for our fans."

Arlington Fire Department officials told The Associated Press that Stone went "into full arrest" as he was transported by ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, where he was pronounced dead.

Stone fell approximately 20 feet onto concrete Thursday night, tumbling into a gap between the left-field railing and the left field wall, which contains a videoboard with the out-of-town scores.

"We are deeply saddened to learn that the man who fell has passed away as a result of this tragic accident," Rangers president/CEO Nolan Ryan said in a statement Thursday. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Stone is survived by his wife, Jenny, and son, according to Melanie Larose, a family friend who released a statement on behalf of the family Friday.

"The Stone family is devastated by this tragedy," the statement said. "The family appreciates your thoughts, kind words and prayers and asks that you respect their privacy during their difficult time."

Stone's mother, Suzann, told The Associated Press her son had gone to the ballpark in hopes of catching a ball. Suzann Stone said Friday that Shannon Stone and his son had even stopped on the way to Arlington on Thursday to buy Cooper a new glove.

The flags at Rangers Ballpark have been lowered to half-staff in memory of Stone. The club also will observe a moment of silence before Friday night's game against the A's.

"All of us at Major League Baseball are shocked and saddened over the tragic death of Mr. Stone last evening. Our thoughts and prayers are with his son and his entire family," Major League Baseball said in a statement issued Friday. "Major League Baseball has the utmost sensitivity to the safety of all the fans that come to our ballparks. Our players are encouraged to be fan-friendly and we will carefully review this incident with our clubs to continue to ensure a safe environment for our fans."

The left-field wall is 14 feet high, and Stone fell head-first over the railing, which is a few feet higher. There was an audible gasp in the stands when Stone tumbled over the railing, eerily similar to an accident in July 2010, when a man fell about 30 feet from the second deck of seats down the right-field line while trying to catch a foul ball. The area where Stone fell Thursday is out of sight from the field.

Stone, wearing a blue Rangers cap and white Rangers shirt, was seated in the front row with his son. According to others seated near him, Stone was yelling at Hamilton for a foul ball that was hit by Conor Jackson and ricocheted into left field in the second inning. Hamilton flipped the ball toward Stone, who leaned over, caught it and toppled over into the gap.

After the game, the team, including Hamilton, was told what happened.

"I think as any of us would be, Josh is very distraught over this as the entire team is," Ryan said. He added that the Rangers are "very heavy-hearted about this."

A fellow fan said he chatted with Stone earlier in the evening but didn't know his name.

"I tried to grab him, but I couldn't," said 50-year-old Ronnie Hargis of Hawley, who was sitting beside Stone. "I tried to slow him down a little bit. He went straight down."

Several fans, including Safawna Dunn, said paramedics quickly got to Stone and took him away on a stretcher.

"He was conscious," Dunn said.

The visitors' bullpen at the stadium is in left-center field. Athletics reliever Brad Ziegler was in tears after the game when he found out the man had died.

"They had him on a stretcher. He said, 'Please check on my son. My son was up there by himself.' The people who carried him out reassured him. 'Sir, we'll get your son, we'll make sure he's OK,' " Ziegler said. "He had his arms swinging. He talked and was conscious. We assumed he was OK. But when you find out he's not, it's just tough."

The incident comes one year and one day after a fan fell from the club level and landed in the lower deck, a 30-foot drop. That man, Tyler Morris, was taken to a local hospital after the game was stopped for 16 minutes to get him out of the stadium. Morris, coincidentally a firefighter as well, suffered a fractured skull and sprained ankle and went home two days after his fall.

Thursday's fall is the third by a fan over one of the railings. The first was April 11, 1994, after the Rangers' first home game in Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. Hollye Minter, a 28-year-old from Plano, Texas, posed for a photograph and fell from a railing in right field. She landed on empty seats and, according to various reports, broke her arm, two ribs and a few bones in her neck.

Club officials said the railings were raised after that game from 30.5 inches to 46 inches in the upper and lower areas of the park.

After Morris was hurt last year, he called the incident a "100 percent, total accident that could have happened to anybody." He said he didn't blame the Rangers or the ballpark.

Ryan said it was too early to talk about the two accidents and what evaluations the team might make about railings at the stadium.

"Tonight, we're not prepared to speak about anything further than the accident and the tragedy," Ryan said. "That's where I'm going to leave it."

It is the second fatal fall at a MLB ballpark this season. In May, a 27-year-old man died after he fell about 20 feet and struck his head on concrete during a Colorado Rockies game.

Jenny Stone, through Ryan, asked that the news media stop showing videos of the incident out of respect for her son.

Good luck w/that.

I hope she doesn't go sue-happy on them. This is horrible but again it was an accident and if she pulls that my sympathy for her dwindles to near zero. I can understand the temptation due to anger/grieving/etc but that'd be lame.

This story really upset me today. I read the article, and then I watched the video. Seeing a Dad there with his son enjoying a baseball game together, in my book, one of the best bonding experiences fathers and sons can have. Knowing that the little boy watched his father fall to his death. Then hearing that the Father's first words were to make sure his kid was taken care of, as he was up there alone, made me think that this is a good Dad that was lost. It brought tears to my eyes, and I went up and gave my son a big hug. So tragic, so sad.

Menudo, you stated this perfectly. As a father, I'm really saddened by this story. My heart goes out to the family. I can see how it could easily happen to just about anyone :wacko:

BB May have worded his earlier posts a bit harsh, but there was truth to it. You've got to realize that the rails are four feet high. Six inches above what OSHA requires. The Rangers were already going above and beyond on there end. It was an accident, and I get that he was probably caught up in trying to get a ball for his son, but he did extend himself beyond the railing, and towards his left, throwing his weight over.

It's a horrible accident, but it was a stupid accident at the same time. Yes it was worded rough, but he had truth in his post.

+1. horrible accident. but you're sitting in the front row. i presume he wasn't drinking a ton since he was with his son. it's gotta go through your mind that you're not gonna lunge over the railing for a baseball.

Good luck w/that.

I hope she doesn't go sue-happy on them. This is horrible but again it was an accident and if she pulls that my sympathy for her dwindles to near zero. I can understand the temptation due to anger/grieving/etc but that'd be lame.

Wait, weren't you just jumping down BB's throat about him jumping the gun... Now you've already figured out what the widow has to do for you to have no sympathy for her? Unreal.

And I'd be willing to bet that she and her son will be taken care of by the Rangers organization, as well as Rangers and A's players.

+1. horrible accident. but you're sitting in the front row. i presume he wasn't drinking a ton since he was with his son. it's gotta go through your mind that you're not gonna lunge over the railing for a baseball.

no no no no....... it's texas.... he accidentally tripped over his rifle.

Wait, weren't you just jumping down BB's throat about him jumping the gun...

No, I was criticizing him for calling the guy stupid and saying the guy "risked his life for a baseball."

Now you've already figured out what the widow has to do for you to have no sympathy for her?
I wouldn't (and didn't) say "none" but someone using an accident like this to get free money tends to erode my sympathy for them a lot, yeah. So?

And I'd be willing to bet that she and her son will be taken care of by the Rangers organization, as well as Rangers and A's players.
And their insurance companies. Yeah. But you never know w/people nowdays. Not saying she would do it, but if she did.