[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Damn I love sweet corn season

Chief Dick

I look forward to corn season as well. The twins are only just beginning to get the "yearly cycle" of things. My oldest daughter, after our like 32nd night in a row of corn on the cob even said, "You and mommy really like corn a lot!!" You could tell it was more than just an "observation".

This was followed by our 32nd night in a row having watermelon for desert! :wacko:

Our local farmer's market has it a dozen ears for $1.99. That is the best value of anything in this world. By far.

I tried to grow it a dozen stalks or so last year and couldn't beat that price. :wacko:

A few years back some friends of mine from Turkey were staying with us while they were about to have a baby. The first night they were in town I had gone to the farmers market and picked up some silver queen corn and some other things.

The looks on their faces when they bit into the corn for the first time was if they had just seen Jesus Christ himself land on the back porch. It was as if everything they had known about corn had changed, it was truly a life altering event.

Needless to say, for the next two weeks we had corn with dinner every night.

A couple of years later we were in Turkey visiting them. THey had some corn outside on the patio table. I figured they were going to cook it for dinner, but when dinner was done the corn was still sitting there. I inquired as to if we were going to have corn the next night.... My buddy said "That, we would not serve you that corn, you would not eat it."

Picked our first ear last night (Peaches and Cream) and today we harvested the rest, about 200 ears. I figure that will last us till...Wednesday. We are some corn-fed, mater-eatin, watermelon slurpin', good ole boys right now!

And our main planting of corn won't be ready for another week or two. Mrs. HR freezes it in the husk and come winter time she takes it out, broils it, and it is like fresh picked.

If we only knew where corn originated...

Picked our first ear last night (Peaches and Cream) and today we harvested the rest, about 200 ears. I figure that will last us till...Wednesday. We are some corn-fed, mater-eatin, watermelon slurpin', good ole boys right now!

And our main planting of corn won't be ready for another week or two. Mrs. HR freezes it in the husk and come winter time she takes it out, broils it, and it is like fresh picked.

If we only knew where corn originated...

I was wondering about freezing it in the husk. We were in upstate NY last week and brought a bunch of awesome corn home to Carolina, where in general the sweet corn sucks. Its too late now since we've already eaten or given it all away, but is there a secret to freezing in the husk?

I was wondering about freezing it in the husk. We were in upstate NY last week and brought a bunch of awesome corn home to Carolina, where in general the sweet corn sucks. Its too late now since we've already eaten or given it all away, but is there a secret to freezing in the husk?

Get it really, really cold, so it freezes. :wacko:

Here's what she does:

Picks the corn and peels off the outer leaves of the husk.

Take a sharp knife and cut the top off (about an inch to an inch and a half). She does this because we don't use pesticides and inevitably there are corn borer worms in some of the ears.

Puts'em in freezer bags and pops'em in the freezer.

Last year was the first time she did this. I think she got the idea from an older lady who had been doing it for years. I was doubtful and still thought you had to take the husk completely off and dip in boiling water, then cool, then freeze. She scrapped the boiling water and when she starting serving corn on the cob in December from the freezer we (well, I) were stunned at how crisp and fresh tasting the corn still was. God luck.

Here's what she does:

Picks the corn and peels off the outer leaves of the husk.

Take a sharp knife and cut the top off (about an inch to an inch and a half). She does this because we don't use pesticides and inevitably there are corn borer worms in some of the ears.

Puts'em in freezer bags and pops'em in the freezer.

Last year was the first time she did this. I think she got the idea from an older lady who had been doing it for years. I was doubtful and still thought you had to take the husk completely off and dip in boiling water, then cool, then freeze. She scrapped the boiling water and when she starting serving corn on the cob in December from the freezer we (well, I) were stunned at how crisp and fresh tasting the corn still was. God luck.

This is awesome. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it.

:wacko: