[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hurricane Irene

keggerz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You stay safe Keg. Batten down the hatches.

Thanks, much different living in VA then in the Outer Banks like when Isabel came through back in 2003 but believe it or not the area I am in now got hammered pretty good back then and was without power longer than I was in the OBX...my biggest fear is the 4 very tall oak trees that are close to my house...flooding shouldn't be an issue for me because we are on very high ground, highest in our development (driveway is almost a 45 degree from the street).

FWIW, Governors in NC, NJ, VA and MD have all declared a State of Emergency already too.

Edit: They are saying we could get between 6-10 inches of rain from the hurricane and the severe line of thunderstorms that are expected to hit before Irene does.

Edited by keggerz

I was feeling at ease somewhat yesterday since I'm in SC near Myrtle Beach. However, the projected path shifted westward slightly over the last 24 hrs and now I'm no longer feeling at ease. I too am worried about a tree that's pretty close to the house that I should of had taken down earlier this year when I first noticed that it was looking diseased.

My insurance deductable for damage caused by a named storm jumps up to $12.5K. Another example of an insurance scam raising your deductable for just about the only thing you're ever going to have a claim for in these parts. So if this tree falls and knocks down my front porch and the cost of the damage is $12.5K or less, I'm basically on my own.

This time my procrastination might cost me big time! :wacko:

I was feeling at ease somewhat yesterday since I'm in SC near Myrtle Beach. However, the projected path shifted westward slightly over the last 24 hrs and now I'm no longer feeling at ease. I too am worried about a tree that's pretty close to the house that I should of had taken down earlier this year when I first noticed that it was looking diseased.

My insurance deductable for damage caused by a named storm jumps up to $12.5K. Another example of an insurance scam raising your deductable for just about the only thing you're ever going to have a claim for in these parts. So if this tree falls and knocks down my front porch and the cost of the damage is $12.5K or less, I'm basically on my own.

Good luck man!

path is supposed to come right up the coast, over the Chesapeake (while strengthening), resulting in a direct Cat3 hit on the jersey coast, who are in no way prepared for hurricane-type disasters. This could get ugly very quickly for a lot of people we know with homes at the shore :tup:

The recent model then has it proceeding directly north, slamming into Manhattan :wacko:

Get 200 feet of rope, tie the rope tothe tree bout 40 feet up, tie the tree to the back of your truck, pull the tree away from your house to where it is stressed in that direction, get a chainsaw and cut a V horizontaly in the direction away from your house. If the winds get bad and the tree falls, it will not hit yer house. If all is well after the storm, call a tree company and have them come and finish the job. You have time to do this.

path is supposed to come right up the coast, over the Chesapeake (while strengthening), resulting in a direct Cat3 hit on the jersey coast, who are in no way prepared for hurricane-type disasters. This could get ugly very quickly for a lot of people we know with homes at the shore :tup:

The recent model then has it proceeding directly north, slamming into Manhattan :wacko:

I have family all over South Jersey but my dad is probably the closest to the shore being just about 30 minutes from AC in Buena and my mom is in Millville...I don't think flooding will be an issue for them but the wind could be...especially for my dad who is surrounded by woods...fingers are crossed that everyone gets thru this unscathed..funny thing is that my grandmother's (deceased) name was Irene :lol:

edit: I also know what FootballJoe is from Chesapeake but not sure if there are any other huddlers from that area...Joe didn't feel the earthquake but I hope he is up to date on Irene

Edited by keggerz

Get 200 feet of rope, tie the rope tothe tree bout 40 feet up, tie the tree to the back of your truck, pull the tree away from your house to where it is stressed in that direction, get a chainsaw and cut a V horizontaly in the direction away from your house. If the winds get bad and the tree falls, it will not hit yer house. If all is well after the storm, call a tree company and have them come and finish the job. You have time to do this.

You can just as easily tie the rope off so that it prevents the tree from falling that way.

I saw a guy drop a tree on his roof on Tosh.o using this exact technique. I'd still try and tie the tree up.

No matter what, be safe.

Wouldn't it just be easier to hook the truck up to the house and move it instead :wacko: ...i kid, i kid

FWIW, Governors in NC, NJ, VA and MD have all declared a State of Emergency already too.

The reason why Governors will declare a state of emergency prior to an incident like this deals primarily with funding. By doing this, the Governors are essentially telling all emergency personal, contractors and consultants that any monies spent in responding and recovering from Irene will be paid back. If a Governor waits until after the hurricane hits, those non-governmental entities may not get their monies repaid and the state may not be able to fully pay out the OT and materials needed should the federal government decide not to.

So in this situation, for the commonwealth of VA, there is a lot of mobilization going on right now - shelters are being stood up and stocked, emergency operation centers are being activated, VDOT is on OT to handle the influx of traffic from people evacuating (and those passing from NC to other states by going through VA), first responders are activating their EOPs and beginning their setup work, hospitals are activating their patient evacuation plans, contingency plans for no power, and setting up their mass casualty centers. Now, if Irene all of a sudden turns out to sea all of the money spent in getting this set up would not be paid out by the federal government disaster relief (under the Disaster Act of 2000 - section 320) if the governor didn't request for disaster assistance prior to the hurricane.

Wouldn't it just be easier to hook the truck up to the house and move it instead :wacko: ...i kid, i kid

I took the axles out from under my house, to get new one's is $$$!!!

The reason why Governors will declare a state of emergency prior to an incident like this deals primarily with funding. By doing this, the Governors are essentially telling all emergency personal, contractors and consultants that any monies spent in responding and recovering from Irene will be paid back. If a Governor waits until after the hurricane hits, those non-governmental entities may not get their monies repaid and the state may not be able to fully pay out the OT and materials needed should the federal government decide not to.

So in this situation, for the commonwealth of VA, there is a lot of mobilization going on right now - shelters are being stood up and stocked, emergency operation centers are being activated, VDOT is on OT to handle the influx of traffic from people evacuating (and those passing from NC to other states by going through VA), first responders are activating their EOPs and beginning their setup work, hospitals are activating their patient evacuation plans, contingency plans for no power, and setting up their mass casualty centers. Now, if Irene all of a sudden turns out to sea all of the money spent in getting this set up would not be paid out by the federal government disaster relief (under the Disaster Act of 2000 - section 320) if the governor didn't request for disaster assistance prior to the hurricane.

Interesting, thanks. Also, DE joined in and declared too.

Thanks, much different living in VA then in the Outer Banks like when Isabel came through back in 2003

Pls don't mention the I-word any more. :wacko: We were outta power 9 freakin days and still scarred from it - every time a big storm comes along we look at each other in "oh no not another power outage" look of fear -

Knock on wood but so far so good, still have power. (cue power going out) Lotta thunder some hard rain, but winds not too severe.

Y'all stay safe.

Edited by BeeR

Pls don't mention the I-word any more. :wacko: We were outta power 9 freakin days and still scarred from it - every time a big storm comes along we look at each other in "oh no not another power outage" look of fear -

Knock on wood but so far so good, still have power. (cue power going out) Lotta thunder some hard rain, but winds not too severe.

Y'all stay safe.

17 total days for us (13 in a row).

Y'all stay safe.

We got flooded from Isabel, lost my wife's car. Power came on two days later and we still had 2 ft of standing water under the house. Crazy times. Had to run and shut the breakers off to keep the house from burning down.

Clarification, we just had a big storm, not the hurricane - just remarking on having power

17 total days for us (13 in a row).

ouch. Where was that?

Yeah, this one is worrying me a bit. Currently in Detroit on business heading home tomorrow to batten down the hatches. We were supposed to go to the beach Sunday-Tuesday, those plans have been canceled. Now the plan is to prep for 90mph winds an 9 inches of rain where I live. We are not set up for this kind of stuff.

ouch. Where was that?

Prince George's County, Maryland - smack dab between the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River in a city called Bowie. BG&E is absolutely the worst electrical utility company on the face of the earth. In 2003 we had a total of 31 days without power. Out of the remaining 14 days we were without power (In a city of 55k mind you) only 3 were a result of bad weather. The rest were out of the blue power outages localized to our grid which had no critical infrastructure so it was always low priority.

Prince George's County, Maryland - smack dab between the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River in a city called Bowie. BG&E is absolutely the worst electrical utility company on the face of the earth. In 2003 we had a total of 31 days without power. Out of the remaining 14 days we were without power (In a city of 55k mind you) only 3 were a result of bad weather. The rest were out of the blue power outages localized to our grid which had no critical infrastructure so it was always low priority.

Probably not in your foreseeable future for the whole town to switch to electric cars...eh? :wacko:

All sarcasm and kidding aside.....everyone stay safe out there on the East Coast!

Edited by SteelBunz