[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need to vent a little

SeductiveNun

So me and another coworker are going to do some work in a town on the Indiana/Ohio border in 3 weeks. The boss tells me that we need to keep the airfare under $500 per person, hinting that the last time he flew to Midway in Chicago it was less than $320. Now I've done that flight before, and it's at least another 4 to 4.5 hour drive to the site, so neither of us are enthused about a long car ride. I dig into flights from other airlined (not Delta), and find one that gets me from Minneapolis to Indianapolis for a total of $456.80 with taxes and fees. It does include a layover at O'Hare each way, but hey it's only 80 minutes from Indianapolis to the site, and we're still below the $500 limit without that pain the ass drive from Chicago. So I tell him about the flight and the total and ask if it's OK to book it, also saying it saves us an additional 6.5 hours or so driving (the time it would take round trip driving from Midway to Indianapolis).

He counters that the time spent on the layover would pretty much equal the time spent driving (although he has no idea how long the layovers are), and hints very strongly again that Midway is the way to go. I check the total travel time, including layover time for the flight to Indianapolis, and it is about 1.5 hours less on the trip to Indianapolis when compared to flying to Midway and driving, and about 1 hour less flying from Indy to Minneapolis when compared to the drive to Chicago and then flying from there. Thing is, if I mention this little tidbit to him, he's going to see it as me arguing for the sake of argument and is in all likelihood just going to get pissed at me.

If he wants us to take the cheapest flight available, just come out and say it! Quit tip-toeing around it and be a boss and lay it out, that I can live with. But this subtle passive-agressive SHAM WOW! is really starting to piss me off.

For this and many other reasons I need to find a new job. :wacko:

So me and another coworker are going to do some work in a town on the Indiana/Ohio border in 3 weeks. The boss tells me that we need to keep the airfare under $500 per person, hinting that the last time he flew to Midway in Chicago it was less than $320. Now I've done that flight before, and it's at least another 4 to 4.5 hour drive to the site, so neither of us are enthused about a long car ride. I dig into flights from other airlined (not Delta), and find one that gets me from Minneapolis to Indianapolis for a total of $456.80 with taxes and fees. It does include a layover at O'Hare each way, but hey it's only 80 minutes from Indianapolis to the site, and we're still below the $500 limit without that pain the ass drive from Chicago. So I tell him about the flight and the total and ask if it's OK to book it, also saying it saves us an additional 6.5 hours or so driving (the time it would take round trip driving from Midway to Indianapolis).

He counters that the time spent on the layover would pretty much equal the time spent driving (although he has no idea how long the layovers are), and hints very strongly again that Midway is the way to go. I check the total travel time, including layover time for the flight to Indianapolis, and it is about 1.5 hours less on the trip to Indianapolis when compared to flying to Midway and driving, and about 1 hour less flying from Indy to Minneapolis when compared to the drive to Chicago and then flying from there. Thing is, if I mention this little tidbit to him, he's going to see it as me arguing for the sake of argument and is in all likelihood just going to get pissed at me.

If he wants us to take the cheapest flight available, just come out and say it! Quit tip-toeing around it and be a boss and lay it out, that I can live with. But this subtle passive-agressive SHAM WOW! is really starting to piss me off.

For this and many other reasons I need to find a new job. :wacko:

He sounds like quite the micro-manager. Telling you to keep the flight under $500 isn't unreasonable, but he should of left it at that.

Found a couple flights into Columbus from Minne for around $333-$350. 70W from the airport to the Indiana border (Richmond, IN) is about 1.5 hours. Not sure where you need to get from there....but it sounds like his price range and your drive time. :wacko:

And yes......he's being a dik.

Found a couple flights into Columbus from Minne for around $333-$350. 70W from the airport to the Indiana border (Richmond, IN) is about 1.5 hours. Not sure where you need to get from there....but it sounds like his price range and your drive time. :lol:

:tup: I never even thought of Columbus, I looked into Dayton and Cincy, but not Columbus. And we stay in Richmond and drive up to the site each day (Union City). Thanks Bunzie, I'll take a look at that. :wacko:

He sounds like quite the micro-manager. Telling you to keep the flight under $500 isn't unreasonable, but he should of left it at that.

This. He probably gets paid enough to not argue about the $100 difference +/- drive time, layover, whatever. In fact, if you add up all the time he's spent on it in terms of his salary, he's probably wasted that much already.

Found a couple flights into Columbus from Minne for around $333-$350. 70W from the airport to the Indiana border (Richmond, IN) is about 1.5 hours. Not sure where you need to get from there....but it sounds like his price range and your drive time. :wacko:

Bunz, you book the flight for him and charge him $100 as a service fee. It still works out to under $500 and you guys can use the $100 for beer.

Everybody wins!

:tup:

I'm waiting for him to come into the office so I can actually talk to him about this face to face.

Also, ask him if $250 for a hooker on the company card is too much.

I hardly think beers will cost $250......hey! Was SEC calling me a hooker?? :wacko:

Bunz, I don't know you well enough and hold you in too high of regard here to ever call you a hooker. Further, I did not mean to insinuate that you were a hooker either.

Nothing worse than having a crappy boss. I've been lucky the past 10 years or so but I had some pretty awful ones before that. Not much you can do but take it or quit. It's rare in my experience for a boss to take constructive criticism calmly and rationally, act on it without prejudice and not retaliate.

Well, the Columbus idea didn't pan out. Moreso due to the available flight times not working out so well from my end. I did however convince him that the flying to Indianapolis was the way to go, seeing as it was still under $500 and saved us about 2.5 hours total travel time. He had no problem with that, saying if that's the route we wanted to go he was fine with it. He's a lot easier to deal with in person then over the phone or email.

Sorry Bunz, maybe next time.

Well, the Columbus idea didn't pan out. Moreso due to the available flight times not working out so well from my end. I did however convince him that the flying to Indianapolis was the way to go, seeing as it was still under $500 and saved us about 2.5 hours total travel time. He had no problem with that, saying if that's the route we wanted to go he was fine with it. He's a lot easier to deal with in person then over the phone or email.

Sorry Bunz, maybe next time.

While I'm happy with the outcome for you...this ending is a buzzkill and a thread killer. :wacko:

While I'm happy with the outcome for you...this ending is a buzzkill and a thread killer. :wacko:

If I actually had a safe landing already picked out, I could have gone in like a divebomber and left no survivors. :tup:

Unfortunately, I'm stuck here until I can secure another position elsewhere - having both me and my wife without a job right now isn't an option.

If I actually had a safe landing already picked out, I could have gone in like a divebomber and left no survivors. :wacko:

Unfortunately, I'm stuck here until I can secure another position elsewhere - having both me and my wife without a job right now isn't an option.

Wha....? SeductiveNun is a GUY!?

:tup: