[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Freeman

Tripleshot

The Bucs are very young and were probably one of the harder hit teams by the lockout because they lost all that off-season work. Young guys need that time more than the vets. I think the Freeman and the Bucs will only get better, both in general and statistically, as the season goes on.

I was optimistically high on Freeman going in to the season after watching his highlight reel on YouTube from last season, so I drafted him for what I thought was going to be a few games until Peyton Manning was ready. Freeman really has a lot of ability, but I've come to the conclusion that the Bucs are primarily a running, grind-it-out, conservative type of offense. Not a big-play type of offense that gets big chunks of yardage. In a season where 400+ and 300+ yard passing efforts are a dime-a-dozen, it's pretty amazing that in Freeman's entire career, I don't think he's even thrown for over 300 yards once. That's not good if you're in a league that awards bonus points for 300+ yard efforts. Shoot, Cam Newton and Andy Dalton are putting up bigger nos. My conclusion, at least from a fantasy perspective is that Freeman is not a good Fantasy QB. He's a pretty good real-world QB though. I immediately picked up Rex Grossman off waivers in the preseason when it became obvious that Petyon's injury was worse than anticipated and have been going with Rex ever since.

I was optimistically high on Freeman going in to the season after watching his highlight reel on YouTube from last season, so I drafted him for what I thought was going to be a few games until Peyton Manning was ready. Freeman really has a lot of ability, but I've come to the conclusion that the Bucs are primarily a running, grind-it-out, conservative type of offense. Not a big-play type of offense that gets big chunks of yardage. In a season where 400+ and 300+ yard passing efforts are a dime-a-dozen, it's pretty amazing that in Freeman's entire career, I don't think he's even thrown for over 300 yards once. That's not good if you're in a league that awards bonus points for 300+ yard efforts. Shoot, Cam Newton and Andy Dalton are putting up bigger nos. My conclusion, at least from a fantasy perspective is that Freeman is not a good Fantasy QB. He's a pretty good real-world QB though. I immediately picked up Rex Grossman off waivers in the preseason when it became obvious that Petyon's injury was worse than anticipated and have been going with Rex ever since.

I completely agree... Freeman is manger QB. He manages the game for his team to win. He doesn't command an offense like Brady, Bree or hell even Newton.

Fantasy-wise, Aikman is probably a pretty good call. Freeman doesn't take the risk that many QB's take, and probably doesn't have the depth at WR that would be needed to be a high-flying aerial assault type QB. Not that he'll never get there, but this was the main reason that I didn't consider him for my fantasy teams. He's not a let-it-loose gunslinger, yet. He's still incredibly early in his development. It may take a while, but if he gets more explosive weapons, big numbers could happen.

Fantasy-wise, Aikman is probably a pretty good call. Freeman doesn't take the risk that many QB's take, and probably doesn't have the depth at WR that would be needed to be a high-flying aerial assault type QB. Not that he'll never get there, but this was the main reason that I didn't consider him for my fantasy teams. He's not a let-it-loose gunslinger, yet. He's still incredibly early in his development. It may take a while, but if he gets more explosive weapons, big numbers could happen.

i think that's a fair analysis.

Tampa homer here...an Aikman like game manager is exactly what coach RahMo has been preaching since they drafted Freeman. The local press touts the same before/during/after each game.

From a fantasy POV the FF talking heads were gaga over the kid's 2010 TD-Int ratio (25:6) and assumed increased production using those numbers as a base line. Realistically, I don't think anyone in the Bucs brain trust expects Freeman to exceed that level of play this year.

From a fantasy POV the FF talking heads were gaga over the kid's 2010 TD-Int ratio (25:6) and assumed increased production using those numbers as a base line. Realistically, I don't think anyone in the Bucs brain trust expects Freeman to exceed that level of play this year.

I didn't do much research and made the mistake of making him my #1 in a league where I waited 'till the 6th round... how can you not love those #s + about 400 yards rushing?

On further review, his TD's were pumped up by the Seattle game where he threw for 5... the rest of the season he only passed for 1 TD or less in 9 games.

Edited by byron2112

i think that's a fair analysis.

Fair, realistic but potentially early to make that call. Watching that team and it seems they are young everywhere and aren't quite built to put up crazy #s. And I don't think it's by design just reality in Tampa at the moment. It's like they're a season and a half behind The Falcons, assuming the falcons start putting up big #s consistently this year...

in general not a fan because i just see him as a 200-220 kind of guy.... rarely scores mult td's. also don't love 4 games vs NOS and ATL (and his 11 schedule).

just checked some game logs from last year:

freeman:

7 games with mult tds

7 games under 200 yds

5 games with over 250 yds

ben:

2 games under 200 yds

5 mult td games

8 games over 250

3 300 yd games

schaub:

8 mult td games

4 games under 200

10 games over 250

7 300 yd games

romo (distorted due to short season...i am counting 5 games):

0 games under 200

4 games over 250

2 games over 300

3 mult td games

8 ints in 5 games though

part 2.......

cutler:

6 games under 200

4 over 250

1 over 300

7 mult td games

16 int's

didn't see number of fumbles lost

bradford:

7 under 200

5 over 250

1 300 yd game

6 mult td games

15 ints

stafford (3 games played)

1 under 200

none over 250

2 mult td games

only 1 int

ryan:

4 games under 200

6 over 250

1 300 yd game

9 mult td games

9 ints

and for kicks:

eli manning:

6 games under 200

8 games over 250

4 300 yd games

11 mult td games

25 ints

Fair, realistic but potentially early to make that call. Watching that team and it seems they are young everywhere and aren't quite built to put up crazy #s. And I don't think it's by design just reality in Tampa at the moment. It's like they're a season and a half behind The Falcons, assuming the falcons start putting up big #s consistently this year...

agree. that was pointed out in his post.