[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fran Tarkenton

gbpfan1231

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if any profession played by NFL rules? No profession does, because the NFL is a genuinely unique business model, completely different than teaching and almost every other career out there. The premise of the headline is retarded enough I don't think I'll miss much by skipping this read and just tuning into MNF tonight.

Tarkento = Idiot!

Each player's salary is based on how long he's been in the league. It's about tenure, not talent.

I stopped reading there. It is based on time!!!

I am pretty sure NFL Players basic salaries are based on time.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lastly...

He's a chives!

Tarkento = Idiot!

I stopped reading there. It is based on time!!!

I am pretty sure NFL Players basic salaries are based on time.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lastly...

He's a chives!

The title of this thread should of been.

Rocknrobn, Great Teacher and a pretty smart dude!

:wacko:

The title of this thread should of been.

Rocknrobn, Great Teacher and a pretty smart dude!

EGL,

Not sure if your w/ me or not w/ the :tup: The :shades:threw me.

I guess I'll take that as an agreement. Call me stoopid if I'm wrong.

BUT....

Basic players have a salary schedule, so Mr. Tarkenton is wrong. But he was elite and prolly never knew how many players were pulling the minimum.

A Great Teacher...I humbly have to say yes, as I am still in contact with many of my past students. Many stories there.

A Smart dude...Never liked the term DUDE as when I was a kid that was a negative.

Understand today it is different. So I'm hoping it is a positive today.

Smart???? I don't know. Time will tell I guess. I raised a daughter, who has a beautiful child, w/ a great father of that child, and is getting married this weekend! I couldn't ask for more.

I managed to have a great life w/ my wife (39 years and counting) and thru all the problems associated w/ that life we still are hopelessly/blindly in love. I can take that to the bank, grave, whatever, and hope that Yall have something close to that.

There is nothing that I wouldn't do for her. Nothing!!

Not sure what smart really means!!?

Fran Tarkenton is still a doosh.

Prove me wrong!

rr26

I raised a daughter, who has a beautiful child, w/ a great father of that child, and is getting married this weekend! I couldn't ask for more.

I managed to have a great life w/ my wife (39 years and counting) and thru all the problems associated w/ that life we still are hopelessly/blindly in love. I can take that to the bank, grave, whatever, and hope that Yall have something close to that.

:wacko::lol::tup:

As pointed out above,the NFL is a unique business model, applying pretty much any working model to the NFL would be preposterous, and the converse would be just as preposterous. There are some legit gripes you can have about the educational system in the US, but this piss poor anaolgy is not the way to do it.

What really rankles me about his article is his anti union stance. He who would have spent his days as abused chattel if it weren't for the player's union. It's the main reason he retired a millionaire many times over. Typical of the I've Got Mine combined with the I Did It All On My Own Despite Reapeated Proof To The Contrary mindest that currently pervades in America.

You can take the teacher's union to task if you think that they are hurting their members in the long run by overreaching, or that they have mismanaged, or are politically ineffective, but to go after them just because they are a union and are trying to get what is best for their members is ridiculous, and really hypocritical coming from a football player.

What if any profession played by NFL rules? No profession does, because the NFL is a genuinely unique business model, completely different than teaching and almost every other career out there. The premise of the headline is retarded moronic enough I don't think I'll miss much by skipping this read and just tuning into MNF tonight.

As pointed out above,the NFL is a unique business model, applying pretty much any working model to the NFL would be preposterous, and the converse would be just as preposterous. There are some legit gripes you can have about the educational system in the US, but this piss poor anaolgy is not the way to do it.

What really rankles me about his article is his anti union stance. He who would have spent his days as abused chattel if it weren't for the player's union. It's the main reason he retired a millionaire many times over. Typical of the I've Got Mine combined with the I Did It All On My Own Despite Reapeated Proof To The Contrary mindest that currently pervades in America.

You can take the teacher's union to task if you think that they are hurting their members in the long run by overreaching, or that they have mismanaged, or are politically ineffective, but to go after them just because they are a union and are trying to get what is best for their members is ridiculous, and really hypocritical coming from a football player.

Do you guys not get the point he is trying to make. I don't think he is comparing the NFL to a techer union. yes I agree the NFL is not like any other business model.

He is basically saying that if you treated the NFL players the way the teachers union treats the teachers (as fas as pay scale) you would see a deterioration in the caliber of the NFL player - Tom Brady makes a ton more money than would Pennington if he was still playing - why? because Brady is paid on performance - if Brady and Pennington would have the same basic wage after being in the league the same amount of years without regard to performance why would Brady even care how he played?

If you did not have to worry much about being cut - in other words - if it was as hard to get cut as it is hard to fire a bad teacher you would see the talent level in the NFL go way down - why would people push themselves to try and succeed if performance meant little.

Do you guys not get the point he is trying to make. I don't think he is comparing the NFL to a techer union. yes I agree the NFL is not like any other business model.

He is basically saying that if you treated the NFL players the way the teachers union treats the teachers (as fas as pay scale) you would see a deterioration in the caliber of the NFL player - Tom Brady makes a ton more money than would Pennington if he was still playing - why? because Brady is paid on performance - if Brady and Pennington would have the same basic wage after being in the league the same amount of years without regard to performance why would Brady even care how he played?

If you did not have to worry much about being cut - in other words - if it was as hard to get cut as it is hard to fire a bad teacher you would see the talent level in the NFL go way down - why would people push themselves to try and succeed if performance meant little.

It was a dumb article he had no point and RR is right, he's doooosh.

from EGL:

It was a dumb article he had no point....

Spot on EGL! :tup:

You (gpf) don't see the point that most of the rest of us see!

The comparison is BS! Comparing most occupations to others is BS! Different stresses/expectations/extra work/hours/job responsibility/etc can't be compared.

That clown (Tarkento :lol: ) should be kissing the union's ass for everything he got and will get instead of trying to tear it apart.

The point of it being hard to fire a teacher is also BS! It's not hard but it does require work. Work that many admins don't want to do. I know a lot of teachers and none of them want to see a bad teacher continue teaching, but if the admin doesn't do their job they stay. The union has nothing to do w/ it! :wacko: All they require is due process, a right that we all have or should have.FWIW...I have helped fire 2 teachers. They WERE fired and I have no regrets, and NO as a staunch union member I lose no sleep.

Lastly,

GPF,

You keep pounding this article up our proverbial asses (yeah 2 defenses=pounding), yet most here call the article BS.

You are saying that he is comparing the NFLPU to a teacher's union or you wouldn't have used the article.

My very wise grandma used to say:

"If someone tells you you look sick, get another opinion. If the second person says you look sick...LAY DOWN!"

Do you get that point?

Please find something else to boost your agenda.

Spot on EGL! :tup:

You (gpf) don't see the point that most of the rest of us see!

The comparison is BS! Comparing most occupations to others is BS! Different stresses/expectations/extra work/hours/job responsibility/etc can't be compared.

That clown (Tarkento :lol: ) should be kissing the union's ass for everything he got and will get instead of trying to tear it apart.

The point of it being hard to fire a teacher is also BS! It's not hard but it does require work. Work that many admins don't want to do. I know a lot of teachers and none of them want to see a bad teacher continue teaching, but if the admin doesn't do their job they stay. The union has nothing to do w/ it! :wacko: All they require is due process, a right that we all have or should have.FWIW...I have helped fire 2 teachers. They WERE fired and I have no regrets, and NO as a staunch union member I lose no sleep.

Lastly,

GPF,

You keep pounding this article up our proverbial asses (yeah 2 defenses=pounding), yet most here call the article BS.

You are saying that he is comparing the NFLPU to a teacher's union or you wouldn't have used the article.

My very wise grandma used to say:

"If someone tells you you look sick, get another opinion. If the second person says you look sick...LAY DOWN!"

Do you get that point?

Please find something else to boost your agenda.

Not saying that at all.

The point I believe he is saying and I tend to agree is that when it comes to teachers and pay there is no real incentive to try harder at the job because there is little to gain by being better than the teacher in the next classroom - I tend to believe this.

Before you freak out and say that you tried your best and blah blah - I am not saying that ALL teachers don't try but if you gain very little by outperforming at your job some will give up trying to better themselves. From what I have read from you you would not be one of those people but I believe the way the teachers are paid this makes some sense.

That is what I think he was saying and I for one see a lot of truth in that - you don't and that is fine.

Not saying that at all.

The point I believe he is saying and I tend to agree is that when it comes to teachers and pay there is no real incentive to try harder at the job because there is little to gain by being better than the teacher in the next classroom - I tend to believe this.

Before you freak out and say that you tried your best and blah blah - I am not saying that ALL teachers don't try but if you gain very little by outperforming at your job some will give up trying to better themselves. From what I have read from you you would not be one of those people but I believe the way the teachers are paid this makes some sense.

That is what I think he was saying and I for one see a lot of truth in that - you don't and that is fine.

And that's not true either.

Most teachers I know plus myself took a lot of pride in what we taught and how we taught it. It would have been boring otherwise. I and many of my fellow teachers didn't need an incentive to make more $$$, we did it because we loved our trade. I for one have always said I never taught the same class twice. It changed, it was dynamic, not static. That is what kept me in the profession/trade for 30+ years. Teaching in a static atmosphere would have bored me to death and I'm sure I can say that for most if not all good teachers.

Our incentives are not based on salary...they are based on an internal that says "Do the best you can for your students". Believe it or not most if not all GOOD TEACHERS are doing or at least trying to do their best. Compensation/awards/ etc aside. That doesn't matter because we have pride in our job!

Your perspective of teachers is warped and not based on facts. That same perspective is an agenda that is totally "negative teacher".

If you need to have solace in your thoughts fine. Just don't spill your pot of boiling crap on those of us who know better.

And that's not true either.

Most teachers I know plus myself took a lot of pride in what we taught and how we taught it. It would have been boring otherwise. I and many of my fellow teachers didn't need an incentive to make more $$$, we did it because we loved our trade. I for one have always said I never taught the same class twice. It changed, it was dynamic, not static. That is what kept me in the profession/trade for 30+ years. Teaching in a static atmosphere would have bored me to death and I'm sure I can say that for most if not all good teachers.

Our incentives are not based on salary...they are based on an internal that says "Do the best you can for your students". Believe it or not most if not all GOOD TEACHERS are doing or at least trying to do their best. Compensation/awards/ etc aside. That doesn't matter because we have pride in our job!

Your perspective of teachers is warped and not based on facts. That same perspective is an agenda that is totally "negative teacher".

If you need to have solace in your thoughts fine. Just don't spill your pot of boiling crap on those of us who know better.

Never said all teachers were bad. You sound like you are or were a great teacher. I had teachers that I assume were like you - they were great. I have had teachers that were horrible.

I am sorry for having an opinion. My bad.

Never said all teachers were bad. You sound like you are or were a great teacher. I had teachers that I assume were like you - they were great. I have had teachers that were horrible.

I am sorry for having an opinion. My bad.

Apology accepted.