[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve Jobs was successful because he was a jerk

WaterMan

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man

Not exactly ground-breaking news that aggressiveness, ruthlessness, obsessive ambition, and often a sadistic streak are traits of many successful bosses. Honest-to-god psychopaths often rise to high positions in corporations and government. I've also known some geniuses, mostly in IT who are just impatient with thickheadedness in the corporate environment and have no issue making that known, because they know they are in high demand. In my own job I've often found that being pushy is the only tack that gets results out of some people.

Jerk + genius + vision + hard work = success.

I think the “jerk” part is necessary if your success depends on getting other people to work hard for you. Being a visionary can help you get people on board, but keeping them on board and making them work their asses off for you requires some of the “jerk” factor.

I’m glad I work alone.

I think the “jerk” part is necessary if your success depends on getting other people to work hard for you. Being a visionary can help you get people on board, but keeping them on board and making them work their asses off for you requires some of the “jerk” factor.

I’m glad I work alone.

I'd say conservatively about 60% of the people I've worked with are naturally lazy and only do more than the minimum amount of work with a good kick in the ass.

Jerk Leadership + genius + vision + hard work = success.

Well I have 1/4th of the formula down.

Fixed...Jerk isn't the right word, but it might be more fun to use.

Without great leadership skills he could have never take Apple to where it is.

Fixed...Jerk isn't the right word, but it might be more fun to use.

Without great leadership skills he could have never take Apple to where it is.

This is probably right. His leadership type wasn't attractive but he certainly had leadership skills.

That was the stupidest article I've had the displeasure of reading.

I've known plenty of jerks who are poor. He was successful because he was an entrepreneur who was not afraid to fail, and had the balls to push forward his ideas at a time (long ago) that paved the path for Apple's long term success.

Being a jerk has nothing to do with it.

I'd say conservatively about 60% of the people I've worked with are naturally lazy and only do more than the minimum amount of work with a good kick in the ass.

I work for a corporation. We get 10 sick days, which I use about 1 every 2 years. Most others think they have another 10 vacation days.

I have a work ethic & am an idiot. :wacko:

I work for a corporation. We get 10 sick days, which I use about 1 every 2 years. Most others think they have another 10 vacation days.

I have a work ethic & am an idiot. :wacko:

You still have a job so you're doing something right. I will say that my division has been cleaning some serious house lately and the worst offenders in this regard were the first out the door.

I can't remember the last time I used a sick day...it was definitely before I moved from GA the first time, so maybe 7 years ago. Kinda hard to call in sick when you work from home.