[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going to Milwaukee this weekend

paulzale

I'll have my 16 year old nephew with me and we are driving in via Chicago. I have the following for potential things:

Harley Museum

Miller Beer

Lakefront Beer

Pabst Mansion

Palermo's Pizza Tour

The Brat Stop

Mars Cheese Castle

Premium Outlet

Harley Museum

Miller Beer

Lakefront Beer

Pabst Mansion

Palermo's Pizza Tour

While he is not old enough to partake on the brewery tours, he love the how things are made type stuff, hopefully there isn't an age limit on the tours...

A couple of those places on en route to Milwaukee via I-94, such as the Premium Outlet which is a outlet mall, and Mars Cheese Castle.

Depending on your interests, there is also the Art Museum, the Milwaukee Zoo, Mitchell Park domes (botanical)

I'll have my 16 year old nephew with me and we are driving in via Chicago. I have the following for potential things:

Harley Museum

Miller Beer

Lakefront Beer

Pabst Mansion

Palermo's Pizza Tour

The Brat Stop

Mars Cheese Castle

Premium Outlet

Harley Museum

Miller Beer

Lakefront Beer

Pabst Mansion

Palermo's Pizza Tour

While he is not old enough to partake on the brewery tours, he love the how things are made type stuff, hopefully there isn't an age limit on the tours...

Beer is marketed to teens, so I can't imagine they wouldn't let the boy see how they make it.

Some of the other stuff you mentioned sounds like fun. Milwaukee is a nice walkable city, especially around the riverfront area, and there are a lot of good shops and restaurants around.

The Milwaukee Public Museum is pretty cool if he likes museums.

I would also recommend Discovery World on the lakefront next to the art museum.

If you like burgers and custard, go to Kopps just outside Milwaukee. In fact, I strongly recommend this no matter what.

German food= Maders downtown. Great classic German food.

I will post more later . . .

Thanks for the input, Lakefront sounds good since he is a teenager and will check out the food choices mentioned. I have already planned to his the Brat Stop on the drive up tomorrow for lunch, then we tour Palermo's on Friday afternoon. Rest of the weekend is up in the air and will check in while there to see if any other ideas have come up. Anyone know if they give tours of the Brewer's stadium in the off season?

Thanks, just booked! Weekend is lining up:

Thursday

- Head out via Indiana/Chicago

- Lunch at Brat Stop

- Maybe hit Mars Cheese Castle

- afternoon and dinner open

Friday

- Open Morning

- Late lunch tour of Palermo's Pizza Factory

- Dinner/Evening open

Saturday

- Morning open

- 11 a.m. tour of Miller Park

- Brewery tour afternoon maybe?

- Dinner open

Sunday

- Head back

Edited by paulzale

Thanks, just booked! Weekend is lining up:

Thursday

- Head out via Indiana/Chicago

- Lunch at Brat Stop

- Maybe hit Mars Cheese Castle

- afternoon and dinner open

Friday

- Open Morning

- Late lunch tour of Palermo's Pizza Factory

- Dinner/Evening open

Saturday

- Morning open

- 11 a.m. tour of Miller Park

- Brewery tour afternoon maybe?

- Dinner open

Sunday

- Head back

Oakland Gyros is the best Gyro I have ever had. East Side - Oakland Avenue.

If you're a museum going type, Villa Terrace is pretty neat too, about 5 min from downtown. Charles Allis museum is also there - both are art museums.

Marquette has the world's biggest collection of JRR Tolkein's writings and stuff, if you're into that - not sure if it's open to the public or not, you'll probably want to call and check. - http://www.marquette.edu/library/archives/tolkien.shtml

The central library is right downtown, and has a breathtaking old-school 3-story rotunda entrance. If you're going past, it's worth 5 minutes to pop in for a look, and a block away from the Public Museum (which is where I got married).

FYI, Wisconsin state law apparently allows for minors to consume alcohol with their parent/guardian present! Found this out at lake front brewery (fantastic tour and beer, highly recommend), it was cool to allow him a couple samples of their brew and have him learn about the craft. All and all he had about 12 ounces, but just a neat experience for both of us.

FYI, Wisconsin state law apparently allows for minors to consume alcohol with their parent/guardian present!

Oh, forgot about this - yeah, probably makes the brewery tours a little more fun for him.

Plus my own theory is if you wean your kids on moderate amounts of GOOD beer, they're less likely to come home plastered on Busch Light.

I'm currently re-reading a book called Drink: A Social History of America where the author is discussing exactly that right now - how the US's problem with underage drinking, which carries over into irresponsible drinking by adults, is due to the "FORBIDDEN!" attitude we have towards minors drinking alcohol.

Essentially Europeans have fewer problems with alcohol abuse because children are brought up around alcohol and learn to drink responsibly, as opposed to drinking in unsupervised settings where getting loaded is the sole purpose (say, a keg party) and then being set loose at 21 with a "hey, here ya go!"