[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Potato Chips Now Cost 6.29/lb

Rovers

I'll only buy chips when they're on sale or at Costco. Regular prices are ridculously high.

This. We only buy chips when the grocery store has an ad or coupon and then buy a few. Actually, now that I think of it, since the kid left for college, we've bought maybe 2 or 3 bags before this weekend.

I just checked the Doritos tha we bought this weekend. 17 oz for $3 (on sale, no coupon)

Then, i wanted nachos for the game yesterday and went to the minimart a block down cause all I needed was tortilla chips. $4.99 for 13 oz. Freakin laziness!

In my neck of the woods, a lunch portion of General Tso's Chicken and a spring roll is $5.95 +tax, an incredible value I must say. For that price you get a lot more delicious protein and a tangy orange sauce that the chips don't offer. No contest my friend.

:wacko: God bless Chinese food. We have a great place nearby which has lunch specials like that of all kinds. And it's way better than those "fast food" Chinese places either which IMO are nasty.

We tried a number of spots, then one night we took home some from one particular place, each took a bite and looked at each other with that knowing look...ohhhh yeah, we found it. :tup:

I do think there is a draft of some sort where the best Chinese people are selected to come to communities and open up their restaurants. There are Chinese restaurants in every corner of America, but obviously your more populous and affluent communities can afford the talent scouts and so forth. The local joint where we just moved from, you might as well just heat up some frozen Chinese crap from the supermarket.

We tried a number of spots, then one night we took home some from one particular place, each took a bite and looked at each other with that knowing look...ohhhh yeah, we found it. :tup:

I do think there is a draft of some sort where the best Chinese people are selected to come to communities and open up their restaurants. There are Chinese restaurants in every corner of America, but obviously your more populous and affluent communities can afford the talent scouts and so forth. The local joint where we just moved from, you might as well just heat up some frozen Chinese crap from the supermarket.

About 15 years ago my family and I were visiting my wifes grandfather somewhere around the Boston area. We ordered chinese and I picked it up and brought it to the house. They did not give us rice but rolls to eat with our meal. :wacko: We figured it must have been a Boston thing. Did not like it at all.

lol @ rolls

I think there's some big company that owns a ton of these cheapie places because they all are set up the same way: very small so it's mostly or entirely takeout, the place itself just reeks of cheap, the menu is usually on backlit picture up above the counter you walk up to to order, the menu choices are mostly the same etc.

At one I ordered some kind of "peanut chicken" item - it came with the standard Chinese food and then they just threw some peanuts on top. :wacko:

lol @ rolls

I think there's some big company that owns a ton of these cheapie places because they all are set up the same way: very small so it's mostly or entirely takeout, the place itself just reeks of cheap, the menu is usually on backlit picture up above the counter you walk up to to order, the menu choices are mostly the same etc.

At one I ordered some kind of "peanut chicken" item - it came with the standard Chinese food and then they just threw some peanuts on top. :wacko:

In Sichuan province we have expression -- Wing lang pow boom boom moo lai wing, which means, drunk American eat almost anything.

I remember when Jay's said:(not verbatim)

"The price of potatoes is high right now. Sorry for the price increase. When Potatoes drop in price, we will drop ours."

Yeah...right and that was ~25 years ago. The price never dropped! But potato prices did.

I've always remarked at how a company can turn $4.00/lb corn into $20+/ per pound corn flakes! :wacko:

In my neck of the woods, a lunch portion of General Tso's Chicken and a spring roll is $5.95 +tax, an incredible value I must say. For that price you get a lot more delicious protein and a tangy orange sauce that the chips don't offer. No contest my friend.

Does chinese food go good with a pastrami on rye sammich and a pickle? :wacko:

:wacko: God bless Chinese food. We have a great place nearby which has lunch specials like that of all kinds. And it's way better than those "fast food" Chinese places either which IMO are nasty.

sure, it looks smells and tastes like chicken but for $5.99 we all know its not chicken

Does chinese food go good with a pastrami on rye sammich and a pickle? :wacko:

My wife and I were in the city one weekend and we wanted to check out the Carnegie deli. The line went halfway down the block so we said f that. Walked a couple blocks, found a deli that looked good, I ordered a pastrami on rye and she ordered a corned beef reuben. We also ordered a side of pickles. Holy crap, each sandwich coulda fed 5 people, it was literally a pound of meat between two slices of bread and a bowl of six hughmongous whole dill pickles. I was pissed that we wasted money (and food) but man, what we could eat was damn good.

My wife and I were in the city one weekend and we wanted to check out the Carnegie deli. The line went halfway down the block so we said f that. Walked a couple blocks, found a deli that looked good, I ordered a pastrami on rye and she ordered a corned beef reuben. We also ordered a side of pickles. Holy crap, each sandwich coulda fed 5 people, it was literally a pound of meat between two slices of bread and a bowl of six hughmongous whole dill pickles. I was pissed that we wasted money (and food) but man, what we could eat was damn good.

The second ave deli is btter than Carnegie. Last stop on the V train downdown, but worth the trip. All they do is pastrami. OK corned beef too, but it's the pastrami, it melts in your mouth. Was featured in the Harry met Sally movie. Out of the way but worth the trip.

The process of making chips is probably much higher than cutting up a cow.

not really

Bier wins. My dad worked for Granny Goose Foods for close to 30 years. He was chief food chemist/potato chip engineer. If you've ever eaten Hawaiiin style chips, you can thank my dad for developing the cooking process for those things. I believe Granny Goose Foods was the first to develop and market Hawaiian style chips. I spent many hours in that factory and their labs. I always loved Halloween because my dad would bring home cases of the individual bags of chips and thats what we would hand out to trick or treaters. The process, clean potato, cut potato, cook potato slices, bag them. Almost entirely automated.

Edited by slambo

Bier wins. My dad worked for Granny Goose Foods for close to 30 years. He was chief food chemist/potato chip engineer. If you've ever eaten Hawaiiin style chips, you can thank my dad for developing the cooking process for those things. I believe Granny Goose Foods was the first to develop and market Hawaiian style chips. I spent many hours in that factory and their labs. I always loved Halloween because my dad would bring home cases of the individual bags of chips and thats what we would hand out to trick or treaters. The process, clean potato, cut potato, cook potato slices, bag them. Almost entirely automated.

The sarcasm thing just aint werkin tonight.