[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Snowblowers?

Furd

Nick's hedge trimmer post reminded me that since I have returned to the world of home ownership, I need a snowblower. I have a fairly long asphalt driveway (100ft?), with something like a 20 x 20 area in front of the garage, but no sidewalk.

Back in the day I had a Toro Power Curve single stage, which was ok except for the engine surging at idle. I'm thinking that I'm going to need a dual stage now.

Thoughts?

TIA

(I'm really looking forward to a pithy comment from Uncle Steve.)

I got this bad boy last year before winter and it's f'n awesome (mine is black). It will even deal with the three foot berm the street plow leaves behind.

Mine was $599 but snowblowers are max priced right now because of the time of year. You might want to go a model higher than this because you have more driveway than I do.

Something like this ought to do you just fine...

My brother in law has the tracked two stage Toro - it is a killer machine.

I happily left my blower and shovels with neighbors when I moved to CA. One of the few :wacko: about this infernal state is the weather.

I bought this one about a month ago:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-...catalogId=10053

The big difference between the black Ariens Sno-tek models and the orange Ariens is the gear box. The Sno-teks like most two stage machines use an aluminum gear box with a 2 year warrantee, while the orange Ariens have a cast iron gear box with a 5 year warrantee, which sets those units apart from all the others in the market place. Most of the orange ones have a Briggs and Stratton engine, the black one have LCT engines... an American co out of NC, but they manufacture in Hong Kong.

Some mechanics don't like working on the LCT engines, or so I've heard second hand, but they don't have a choice if they are an Ariens warrantee repair center. My model costs $599, and was at the price point I could afford but was big and powerful enough for my driveway. The orange units are more expensive. The model at $499 only has one speed, a deal killer. The 208cc LCT engine is about 9.4 HP. Plenty for a 24 inch machine, but I think the 28 inch Sno-tek might be a little underpowered using the same engine.

Hondas and Toros are using a lot of plastic parts, all the Ariens machines are all steel. These Home Depot prices can't be beat. I looked at what Lowes had, not even close. While you may not find any additional mark downs, I would not wait too long. These machines are flying out the door as fast as they come in. Demand is exceeding supply.

I managed to get mine at no interest for 12 months, not a bad deal. Very managable payments. The on line reviews from last year are very good for all the Ariens blowers.

My neighbor let me borrow his tracked propulsion Toro last year, I found it difficult to turn and unwieldy.

My neighbor let me borrow his tracked propulsion Toro last year, I found it difficult to turn and unwieldy.

My machine is tracked. I find this to be true.

If your driveway is hilly or you tend to get a lot of ice then tracked is a trade off that sometimes is good. It does make handling the machine more work for the most part.

My advice to anyone buying a snowblower: if you really depend on it don't cheap out. If you can get a machine with "infinitely" variable speed control as opposed to one with built in speed slots (always too fast or too slow).

Also, stay away from Home Depot and Lowes. You are better off buying from a local equipment dealer. Notice that at Home Depot and Lowes the model numbers are slightly different, having an 'a' on the end or something like that. It means that the machine is made 'special' for those stores, and special tend to mean with cheaper parts so that they can sell the machines more cheaply.

My advice to anyone buying a snowblower: if you really depend on it don't cheap out. If you can get a machine with "infinitely" variable speed control as opposed to one with built in speed slots (always too fast or too slow).

Also, stay away from Home Depot and Lowes. You are better off buying from a local equipment dealer. Notice that at Home Depot and Lowes the model numbers are slightly different, having an 'a' on the end or something like that. It means that the machine is made 'special' for those stores, and special tend to mean with cheaper parts so that they can sell the machines more cheaply.

I know this aplies for John Deere mowers, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true for other name brand lawn/garden equipment.

Here's a good read: http://www.homeconstructionimprovement.com...-mowers-at-box/

Interesting post, but you have no clue what you are talking about.

There is ZERO difference between an Ariens from a dealer and Home Depot. If you order on line and pay for Arien's "white glove service", the local Ariens dealer takes the unit from his stock, (or orders one if he's out of stock), does the assembly and delivers it to your driveway, starts it up and shows you how it operates. Same machine. This is how Ariens and HD sweeten the deal for the dealers. The dealers get paid for that. Cheaper parts? No... same machine, steel discharge chute, same tires, same engine, gear box, etc.

I can't speak for Lowes, or I'd look as foolish as you just did. I can vouch for the fact that the machines at Lowes have plastic parts, including the chute. The Ariens at HD do not. There is no difference in the part number as you say. HD prices are lower because they work on small margins and get quantity discounts. No more, no less.

Think about what you just said, from a manufacturing standpoint. A whole seperate production line, a parallel stocking requirement... exactly WHICH parts are you making this claim about? C'mon... I'll wait. Same machines. Cheaper at HD. And BTW, not much cheaper, we're only talking about 2 or 3 %. HD is $20 below MSRP on the $729 Sno-Tek. Go to a dealer and he'll probably want more than MSRP.

I suppose 6 forward speeds and two reverse speeds aren't good enough? Seriously? :wacko::tup: While I haven't operated mine in the snow yet, I doubt I'll use more than 3 of the 6 preset speeds. I think I'll put more faith in the stellar on line reviews over your opinion in a vacuum. People that have bought these machines from HD love them. You want to pay $400 more for a Toro with plastic parts, go ahead.

I know this aplies for John Deere mowers, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true for other name brand lawn/garden equipment.

Here's a good read: http://www.homeconstructionimprovement.com...-mowers-at-box/

With mowers, I agree, they do make special models for the box stores.... but NOT snowblowers. Even then, the differences are not hugh.

Dude, you live in Atlanta where the whole f'n city shuts down for half an inch of snow.

What is funny is to watch the Ohians, Michiganders, New Jerseyites, New Yorkers, Cheeseheads, Indianans, etc... go speeding by you when it has snowed here and then spin their car into the median because they hit the ice sheet under the snow 100 feet in front of you.

Guys, we're going slow for a reason, it may look like snow, but, it ain't snow, it's ice with about 2 inches of snow on top... ya freaking morans...

I've done my share of snow shoveling at the MI cottage, snow shovel only. Lake effect snow can dump 36 " to 48" overnight. Then again the driveway is only about 15 feet deep by 20 feet wide.

Interesting post, but you have no clue what you are talking about.

There is ZERO difference between an Ariens from a dealer and Home Depot. If you order on line and pay for Arien's "white glove service", the local Ariens dealer takes the unit from his stock, (or orders one if he's out of stock), does the assembly and delivers it to your driveway, starts it up and shows you how it operates. Same machine. This is how Ariens and HD sweeten the deal for the dealers. The dealers get paid for that. Cheaper parts? No... same machine, steel discharge chute, same tires, same engine, gear box, etc.

I can't speak for Lowes, or I'd look as foolish as you just did. I can vouch for the fact that the machines at Lowes have plastic parts, including the chute. The Ariens at HD do not. There is no difference in the part number as you say. HD prices are lower because they work on small margins and get quantity discounts. No more, no less.

Think about what you just said, from a manufacturing standpoint. A whole seperate production line, a parallel stocking requirement... exactly WHICH parts are you making this claim about? C'mon... I'll wait. Same machines. Cheaper at HD. And BTW, not much cheaper, we're only talking about 2 or 3 %. HD is $20 below MSRP on the $729 Sno-Tek. Go to a dealer and he'll probably want more than MSRP.

I'm not going to get into a big argument with you about it.

They do it with washing machines.

They do it with dryers

They do it with lawn mowers (by your own admission)

They do it with items all over the store.

But the snow blowers are special and different? Thanks, but I'll go with what I have learned doing research over the years, looking at model numbers (which regularly differ from the MFR's number on their sites and items at other stores), asking questions of people at local dealers, etc. I never buy any power equipment or appliances from Lowes or HD because of these experiences.

Foolish is taking some guy's word for it because he works at Home Depot. Not foolish is taking a look around and seeing what you find before you drop several hundred dollars on equipment. I recommend people do their homework and generally that they support small local business. The guy running the local equipment store tends to be better informed than the people I have dealt with at the big box places.

I suppose 6 forward speeds and two reverse speeds aren't good enough? Seriously? :wacko::lol: While I haven't operated mine in the snow yet, I doubt I'll use more than 3 of the 6 preset speeds. I think I'll put more faith in the stellar on line reviews over your opinion in a vacuum. People that have bought these machines from HD love them. You want to pay $400 more for a Toro with plastic parts, go ahead.

I can only say that I have used both kinds of equipment. My brother has a top of the line Ariens that he bought at Home Depot with six speeds and all kinds of great features. I find my Honda much easier to control because I don't have to deal with set speeds. You don't have to buy my opinion, but there's no reason to discount it other than your seeming need to cut me down wherever your opinion differs. Never understood that about you.

Who said anything about buying a Toro? :tup:

I'm not going to get into a big argument with you about it.

They do it with washing machines.

They do it with dryers

They do it with lawn mowers (by your own admission)

They do it with items all over the store.

But the snow blowers are special and different? Thanks, but I'll go with what I have learned doing research over the years, looking at model numbers (which regularly differ from the MFR's number on their sites and items at other stores), asking questions of people at local dealers, etc. I never buy any power equipment or appliances from Lowes or HD because of these experiences.

Foolish is taking some guy's word for it because he works at Home Depot. Not foolish is taking a look around and seeing what you find before you drop several hundred dollars on equipment. I recommend people do their homework and generally that they support small local business. The guy running the local equipment store tends to be better informed than the people I have dealt with at the big box places.

I can only say that I have used both kinds of equipment. My brother has a top of the line Ariens that he bought at Home Depot with six speeds and all kinds of great features. I find my Honda much easier to control because I don't have to deal with set speeds. You don't have to buy my opinion, but there's no reason to discount it other than your seeming need to cut me down wherever your opinion differs. Never understood that about you.

Who said anything about buying a Toro? :tup:

You stated something as fact about snow blowers, and you are wrong. Simple concept. As far as mowers go, they carry different part numbers. It's no sectret they are the box store models. With the snow blowers, there is no difference in the product or the part number. I have no idea regarding appliances, so I have nothing to say about that. You might have done the same regarding the snow blowers.

And for what it's worth, one of the the dealers here that sells Toros (and other brands) is a dirt bag, and will rip people off whenever he can. Going to the small guy is not always the best option either. Try returning a snow blower to that dealer if you aren't happy. You might hate the box stores, but HD will allow just about anything to be returned for any reason. You should see how many generators get returned after a big storm. So, it's extremely low risk to buy from them.

I don't want to see the small guy get crushed. Quite the opposite. If he's honest, and will come close to a box store price, great. In any case, the service and repair operation will keep him in business. I simply could not have purchsed one if not for the 12 months no interest offer. The small dealer doesn't offer such incentives. It's called capialism, free market. The big guys have advatages. That's how they got big.

As far as infinitly variable speed control, fine if that is what you prefer. I didn't say you were wrong, I just stated my opinion that I didn't understand why 6 speeds would be insufficient. That was opinion.

I did not criticise your opinions, I just corrected something you stated as fact. I guess it hurts to be wrong. :wacko:

Edited by Rovers

Interesting article, and it support's Nick's opinion of box store machines/appliances. However, it seems that with a little research, the truth is this: If the part number is the same, it's the same product. Dealers often don't even carry some lower quality price point products, they leave that to the box stores who similar to say, even a Walmart, offer a lower priced, lower quality price point item.

"This writer thinks there is a difference between same priced units at his John Deere dealer vs. the box store, but that isn't quite right. He could buy the same lower priced machine at his JD dealer. Why should a dealer attempt to compete with the box stores on lower end machines? Instead, they upsell to the machines they stock, and away from the lower price point units the box stores sell."

"Another example of an uninformed and uneducated writer twisting facts to suit his perception of a story. While many companies DO water down the quality of the models they sell at the big box stores, the 100 Series mowers at Lowes and HD are EXACTLY the same as the 100 series models you can buy a a JD dealer. They are low-end, residential mowers comparable to other similar mowers in the same price range. They are set up by local dealers, who attach their stickers to the mowers so owners will know where they can get local service. The 300 Series mowers are the “cadillac” of mowers; compare the specs. Better engine, stronger components, more features (such as cruise control), etc. But a 100 Series mower is a 100 Series mower whether bought at the big box or the local dealer. And you won’t save any $$ at the big box; the dealers sell them at the same price. Like an earlier poster said, though, do you want to take time off from work to buy a mower from a dealer with bankers hours, or do you want to shop at your convenience. My local JD dealer wouldn’t give me the time of day when I stopped there FIRST, so I bought mine at the big box store. Many dealers think they are above needed to sell these things due to the reputation JD has. But you still need to treat your customers with respect."

Case in point, with the Sno-Tek I mentioned. HD is only $20 below MSRP, that is what an honest dealer would charge, MSRP. That apparently isn't true across the board, or so the dealers would like people to think. The dealers stay away from the low price point power tools for instance...they can sell the same model, but choose not to. In the case of the Milwaukee saw, it was a poorly designed saw. It did not have the same model number as what the dealer was pushing. The dealer was right in that this particular saw was a piece of chit.

Now back to snow blowers...they are the same at box stores and dealers at least as far as Ariens machines go. You only need to check the manufacturer's part number to make an initial judgement. If they are different, then so is the product. If they aren't, the product is identical. It's worth being aware of for sure.

Many manufacturers make pro grade and consumer grade products. Take Husqvarna products. They make some fine pro grade products, but also offer home owner grade products sold at the box stores. The part numbers will always be different. John deere, same thing.

The dealers would like everyone to think anything at a box store is sub-standard to what they sell, while the truth is that they want to upsell to higher priced machines. They can sell the same stuff, but wisely or perhaps unwisely so, choose not to compete head to head.

Edited by Rovers

Now back to snow blowers...they are the same at box stores and dealers at least as far as Ariens machines go. You only need to check the manufacturer's part number to make an initial judgement. If they are different, then so is the product. If they aren't, the product is identical. It's worth being aware of for sure.

I think if you reread my original post that I am saying this exact thing. Look at the model number. It tells you what you need to know.

If the MFR's site has a model number, and the local store (appliance, lawn equip, doesn't matter) has that same number, but the one ad HD and/or Lowes is different, then the product is different in some way.

For people that don't care to go through the trouble of going to multiple stores, staying out of the big box stores mitigates the possibility that this will happen to you.

Here are the top five two-stage snowblowers according to Consumer Reports:

1.Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 XP 31AH55Q $1,100

2. Yard Machines 31AH65FH $1,000

3 .Craftsman 88830 $1,130

4. Ariens 921022 $1,000

5. John Deere 1028E . $1,300

Surprising to me is that the two Honda models they tested came in at 19th and 20th out of 30 models. And they were each $2,500 :wacko:

I've done my share of snow shoveling at the MI cottage, snow shovel only. Lake effect snow can dump 36 " to 48" overnight. Then again the driveway is only about 15 feet deep by 20 feet wide.

Um, yeah...no it can't.

I finally broke down last year and bought a something off CL; 2-stage, 5 forward, 2 reverse, 22" and freshly tuned for $300.