[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deer Takes Down Hunter

xcellu8

It's getting harder out there every day folks.

ALBION, Ind. -- A northeastern Indiana hunter has died after struggling with a buck he had just shot.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says 62-year-old Paul Smith of Fort Wayne died Monday during a deer reduction hunt at Chain O'Lakes State Park about 20 miles northwest of the city. It says the Noble County coroner says the death was due to a lacerated liver, possibly suffered during the struggle. ...Full Story

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, this may sound insensitive to my own species, but good for the deer. The hunter was not hunting to survive, but for the pure fun of it, whereas the deer was fighting for its life.

Yeah it's kinda like the occasional, Mexican guy pulls knife to cut up a white guy... who happened to be toting a .45. :wacko:

OK, this may sound insensitive to my own species, but good for the deer. The hunter was not hunting to survive, but for the pure fun of it, whereas the deer was fighting for its life.

Man, smoking and hunting. You guys are really trying to bring out the redneck in me today...

Having been a cameraman for an outdoor hunting and fishing show, I've seen even moreso that there is a huge difference between rich CEO enchilada bag hunters who just want to kill stuff in a 2000 acre pen at a luxury resort, and most hunters who hunt for the self-reliance of living off the land (in addition to it being fun, of course). The latter has done more for conservation and maintaining the deer population than those hippie groups ever will... I'm actually disapointed that I slacked it over Thanksgiving and didn't go hunting, because we simply have too many does on our land in South GA, to where they need to be thinned out before they really overpopulate the area.

I don't mean all this to say that the deer had no right to defend itself, but cmon, it probably wasn't just some a-hole guy who went out to kill stuff, and was more likely a guy that was going out to fill his freezer out of the woods rather than the easy way from a grocery store. It's worthy of some sympathy there.

Anyways, just saying that what a lot of people see as a "sport" is more noble than the concentration camp where you get your chicken from. :wacko:

Man, smoking and hunting. You guys are really trying to bring out the redneck in me today...

Having been a cameraman for an outdoor hunting and fishing show, I've seen even moreso that there is a huge difference between rich CEO enchilada bag hunters who just want to kill stuff in a 2000 acre pen at a luxury resort, and most hunters who hunt for the self-reliance of living off the land (in addition to it being fun, of course). The latter has done more for conservation and maintaining the deer population than those hippie groups ever will... I'm actually disapointed that I slacked it over Thanksgiving and didn't go hunting, because we simply have too many does on our land in South GA, to where they need to be thinned out before they really overpopulate the area.

I don't mean all this to say that the deer had no right to defend itself, but cmon, it probably wasn't just some a-hole guy who went out to kill stuff, and was more likely a guy that was going out to fill his freezer out of the woods rather than the easy way from a grocery store. It's worthy of some sympathy there.

Anyways, just saying that what a lot of people see as a "sport" is more noble than the concentration camp where you get your chicken from. :wacko:

It should be noted that the article mentions dude was on a "deer reduction hunt", which would seem to imply he was doing just as so many do, thinning out the numbers, which absolutely has to happen or they're just going to overpopulate and get hit by cars anyway.

It should be noted that the article mentions dude was on a "deer reduction hunt", which would seem to imply he was doing just as so many do, thinning out the numbers, which absolutely has to happen or they're just going to overpopulate and get hit by cars anyway.

Not at all uncommon here in MN. Special hunts are organized where deer populations are too high and groups (usually archers) are brought in to take out some of the deer...

As far as the hunter being killed by the buck, that is unfortunate but its a risk you take. Cant fault the deer for trying to survive. Personally, I allow plenty of time after I shoot before I go to retrieve a deer and I always approach with caution in an effort to avoid that very type of situation.

As a hunter and someone whos family used to "survive" on hunting, fishing and trapping it annoys the hell out of me when people say stuff like this! With less habitat and more threats in their environment (cars, fences, highways etc... ) there is more big game in this country than there was 200 years ago, due to hunters and the fees they pay to protect habitat and manage the herds. Hunters are the ones that fund many of our States Search and Rescue funds.

I guess you would prefer to watch the deer starve to death?

No, I'd rather do the humane thing and make him struggle for his life while trying to fend off a hunter.

:wacko:

You do realize that any hunter worth a salt does everything they can to not simply wound the animal, beyond just minimizing the suffering, they'll run far away to where you'll never track them down if you do that, and end up becoming a coyote or hog's lunch.... For many reasons, the goal is for a quick kill, that yes I would say is far more humane than letting them starve to death.

Let me ask, are you a vegetarian, because the difference between hunting and the grocery store is like comparing murder to genocide, if you want to look at it that way... Amazing how ignorant people can act about hunting and food, yet call those in the country the ignorant ones. We all came from a long line of hunters and gatherers who did so to survive, so give the holier than thou stuff a rest... Living off the land while conserving and preserving it and it's species is something that people should take pride in, rather than feeling like you're better because you buy from the market...

Edited by delusions of granduer

There have been a few times when I'm out running trails in the woods when I'm come across a deer standing in the middle of the trail staring at me. I have visions of the deer attack videos on Youtube and find another trail or way around the deer. I'm accident prone enough, I don't need a deer injury.

OK, I stand corrected.

Not at all uncommon here in MN. Special hunts are organized where deer populations are too high and groups (usually archers) are brought in to take out some of the deer...

As far as the hunter being killed by the buck, that is unfortunate but its a risk you take. Cant fault the deer for trying to survive. Personally, I allow plenty of time after I shoot before I go to retrieve a deer and I always approach with caution in an effort to avoid that very type of situation.

I agree.

:wacko:

You do realize that any hunter worth a salt does everything they can to not simply wound the animal, beyond just minimizing the suffering, they'll run far away to where you'll never track them down if you do that, and end up becoming a coyote or hog's lunch.... For many reasons, the goal is for a quick kill, that yes I would say is far more humane than letting them starve to death.

Let me ask, are you a vegetarian, because the difference between hunting and the grocery store is like comparing murder to genocide, if you want to look at it that way... Amazing how ignorant people can act about hunting and food, yet call those in the country the ignorant ones. We all came from a long line of hunters and gatherers who did so to survive, so give the holier than thou stuff a rest... Living off the land while conserving and preserving it and it's species is something that people should take pride in, rather than feeling like you're better because you buy from the market...

:tup:

my point was that while it might seem noble to "not let them starve to death", it is that much nobler to have the next-best alternative be to potentially maim the animal so that when you catch up to it, it is squirming and flailing the ground for its life, or as you state, left to wander until it collapses and is devoured slowly by vultures or other wild animals alive.

Frankly, if I was given the choice, I think I'd rather fend for myself and look for a bite to eat, letting the strong survive within my species as opposed to being exterminated. You boldly state that "We all came from a long line of hunters and gatherers who did so to survive"...why not let the deer have the same dignity and choice?

Deer are delicious. I just cooked off an elk steak that my brother bagged last year.

Absolutely delicious.

Controlled thinning of herds is necessary for the entire herd not to suffer. Not only did we have the "earn a buck" program in WI (where in order to be able to go after a buck you had to harvest a doe first), but where we got our meat processed we would ALWAYS donate vension to local food banks. (that was before CWD hit of course . . .)

Hell, how is this different than fishing?