[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you could visit/live in any time

BeeR

Let's say you're able to go back in time and:

1. Visit for a week

2. Visit for a year

3. Live the rest of your days

Let's assume health is not an issue (you have the means to ensure you can address any health issues even though that time cannot), you can speak the language, you can bring significant others with you, but you will not be allowed to significantly alter history (eg you can't go back and kill Stalin before he comes to power). Basically the appeal of these is just the time/culture itself. Where would you go, if anywhere? I suspect most on the last one would stay right here.

1) A random week when I was a teenager, so I'd have a better sense for what I will be seeing out of my kids in the next several years.

2) The last year of Christ's life.

3) I would pick pretty much any time since the advent of central heat/air.

1. Visit for a week

2. Visit for a year

Let's assume health is not an issue (you have the means to ensure you can address any health issues even though that time cannot), you can speak the language, you can bring significant others with you, but you will not be allowed to significantly alter history (eg you can't go back and kill Stalin before he comes to power). Basically the appeal of these is just the time/culture itself. Where would you go, if anywhere? I suspect most on the last one would stay right here.

1. New York City sometime during the roaring twenties

2. 1969 (so i could experience the counter culture movement of the Summer of 69')

3. While the title of the thread is 'if you could visit/live in any time' I do see you called out in the body 'back in time' but mine is forward - I've like to live out the rest of my days starting in 2065. I figure by that time our medical technology will be to a point where we can extend our life through replacement organs and being able to cleanse our bodies of dying and defective cells. I'd like to live long enough to see a human step out on to the surface of another planet. I highly doubt that will happen in 54 years but it could so I'd have to start there. I'd like to also be around for when our earth bound telescopes are finally able to see an exoplanet. I really want to know what that kipler planet looks like.

1. Visit for a week

2. Visit for a year

1. Stonehenge

2. 1 BC (actually, 33 AD... you get the drift...)

3. 1960. A couple (or ALOT) of bets in Vegas, some IBM stock... yeah, that's what I'm talkin about.

Edited by Rovers

1. Visit for a week

2. Visit for a year

I love this kind of stuff.

1. Visit for a week - back in the dino days, say the late Jurassic.

2. Visit for a year - a. ancient Rome during Octavian's rule b. ancient Greece, 480BC c. the Medieval Times, say around 1000AD.

3. Live the rest of your days - in our time because it is what I know.

Edited by I Like Soup

Guess I should answer:

1 - I should probably answer Jesus' time for a year and I might, but for now I'll say a week, simply to meet or even be around Him, hear him preach etc.

2 - Roman times are tempting but I think the 1770s to see that going on. Early 20th century is temping as well.

3 - Maybe now, but assuming people I care about are there, late 40s are very tempting.

Guess I should answer:

1 - I should probably answer Jesus' time for a year and I might, but for now I'll say a week, simply to meet or even be around Him, hear him preach etc.

2 - Roman times are tempting but I think the 1770s to see that going on. Early 20th century is temping as well.

3 - Maybe now, but assuming people I care about are there, late 40s are very tempting.

In 1960 I could meet myself as a middle aged man! :wacko:

1. Mid-december, 2011.

2. winter 2011 through fall 2012.

3. now and into the future.

What's the point? Everything is filtered through your modern day context, so you're not really experiencing it the way anyone who lived through a particular era would. Besides, now is the most interesting time the world has every experienced, so it would all be a letdown.

I love this kind of stuff.

1. Visit for a week - back in the dino days, say the late Jurassic.

2. Visit for a year - a. ancient Rome during Octavian's rule b. ancient Greece, 480BC c. the Medieval Times, say around 1000AD.

3. Live the rest of your days - in our time because it is what I know.

Weird.......my PM to you had pretty much precisely the same two as 1 and 2. :wacko:

Guess I should answer:

You wouldn't understand a word he was saying...

What's the point? Everything is filtered through your modern day context, so you're not really experiencing it the way anyone who lived through a particular era would.
So?

Besides, now is the most interesting time the world has every experienced, so it would all be a letdown.
That's a matter of opinion to put it mildly.