[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Remembering "old school" arcades

BeeR

The video thread had me thinking of this and knowing many of you are old enough and geeked enough to remember. :wacko:

I remember the earliest days when they were all or mostly mechanical (not computerized). Along with pinball there was this steeplechase game where you hit a button or ball to make a horse jump over a track which was like a big piece of "paper" on a roll with hurdles etc glued to it, the button made the horse (attached to a metal rod) jump ie the legs would pick up. Others I can't recall. Then it was pong type stuff for awhile before the technology went nuts and galaxia and all that stuff popped up. Anyone else?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about exploiting the bugs in those early arcade games? Here’s a few that come to mind:

1. The Pac Man pattern. If done correctly you cleared the maze every time.

2. A trick in Galaga where you could get the invaders to stop shooting bullets altogether. The only way they would eventually kill you was to crash into you.

3. The Space Invaders trick where you let the invaders come all the way down to the bottom row then their bullets would go right through you. You would just zip across and take them out one by one.

These are a few that came to mind. I know that there’s a whole lot more.

The video thread had me thinking of this and knowing many of you are old enough and geeked enough to remember. :wacko:

I remember the earliest days when they were all or mostly mechanical (not computerized). Along with pinball there was this steeplechase game where you hit a button or ball to make a horse jump over a track which was like a big piece of "paper" on a roll with hurdles etc glued to it, the button made the horse (attached to a metal rod) jump ie the legs would pick up. Others I can't recall. Then it was pong type stuff for awhile before the technology went nuts and galaxia and all that stuff popped up. Anyone else?

How about the mechanical baseball game in which you hit a metal ball and it would sometimes go up ramps for homeruns, etc.

Seawolf where you shot at boats through a periscope was a cool early video game. I was also a fan of Centipede and Tempest.

I remember Galiga, Kungfu and Spyhunter being the bomb.

Moving forward... Rampage and Altered Beasts were pretty fun too.

Ah yes, we might be about the same age DJ. I remember playing California Games and Conan on the Commodore 64, battlefield (battleships?) and atlantis on the atari 2600. Street Fighter 2 was the first arcade to really kind of go "big" when I was in maybe 5th grade.

umm, donkey kong? and donkey kong, jr. joust was another favorite. centipede, galaga, asteroids, dig dug, punch out. and that karate match game with two joysticks, what was that called? sitting here thinking about it I can still remember almost all the moves.

I think it was Kungfu.

Ah yes, we might be about the same age DJ. I