[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best High Def services, especially for sports

The 13ers

I just bought two HD tv's.

I've been doing some research online, but I'm hoping to hear from personal experiences.

Who would you suggest to use as a service provider. I've been on Directv forever, but I'm keeping an open mind. I don't have to have the NFL package( but it would be nice).

Also, are there any problems or issues having an analog tv along with a couple HD tvs? How do they configure the ananlog tv and do I need a special box for the analog? Can I use my old box for it?

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by The 13ers

It kills me to say this... but I love Comcast's cable service. (They're blowhards with their internet, and can be ishy with customer service).

I like Comcast because they have a sports package for $7 a month that gives a ton: ESPN 2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, NBC Sports, FSN Sports, NFL Network, etc... and my favorite feature - NFL Network's NFL Red Zone with Scott Hansen. I had DirectTV before, and I know that if you're a new customer they give you Sunday Ticket for free, but then it's still another $100 for RedZone, and you have to pay for the whole shebang the season after that. Mind you, I'm an NFL Fan that likes watching all the action from all of the games at the same time, rather than one or two games in their entirety.

DirectTV bothered me because of their two year contracts, and their specials only lasted the first six to twelve months. With Comcast there's no contracts, and when your special runs out after six months - you can get your gear, go to a Comcast store, close your account, and immediately open a new one with their latest new customer specials in the same visit. I've done it several times.

Just my two cents.

I think the best HD is actually over-the-air from your local stations... so that's all the local broadcast Sunday NFL games. Hooking up an antenna to your TV isn't that hard. You might already have an antenna on your roof or in your attic.

thanks Grampa ! :wacko:

Unless you plan on getting Sunday Ticket then I'd go with regular cable. I bought into Directv when I got my HDTV because they offered more HD channels including NFL Network and were cheaper at the time. Since then cable has caught up with them , the price is now lower & I can get a better deal in regards to DVR and boxes. To boot, I already have my internet service through them and with the package deal I get a faster speed & new modem for the same price as what I'm paying now.

In all I get almost all the channels I was getting before, HD now in every room, the DVR that I didn't have before, a much faster internet & all for about $50 less a month for the first year and then $30 less after that.

We're hooked on the Sunday Ticket, so DirecTV is the only option we can even consider. Overall I like their service, especially threatening to cancel every year so they slash the price of the Ticket, but living in an area where you get a lot of thunderstorms, it sucks to lose the signal during a program you really want to watch.

We're hooked on the Sunday Ticket, so DirecTV is the only option we can even consider. Overall I like their service, especially threatening to cancel every year so they slash the price of the Ticket, but living in an area where you get a lot of thunderstorms, it sucks to lose the signal during a program you really want to watch.

That's only an issue once or twice a year for me.

BTW, love your signature. Too funny!

I think the best HD is actually over-the-air from your local stations... so that's all the local broadcast Sunday NFL games. Hooking up an antenna to your TV isn't that hard. You might already have an antenna on your roof or in your attic.

probably better to research than to think at times...

Not all local broadcasts are the same....here is what i found, it is about a year old so not sure if it is 100% correct, but not all local broadcasts are created equal, because there are differences between 720p and 1080i

http://forums.audioreview.com/home-theater...list-34559.html

This is information that I had posted in a previous thread. I've updated it with some more recent additions. If anyone has information about other channels, feel free to add them.

Amid all the claims about 720p versus 1080i, on the broadcasters' side, it's still split. Although it seems that most of the more recently added HD channels now use 1080i.

As I'd noted, the biggest broadcaster blocs that use 720p include ABC/Disney/ESPN, Fox, and the A&E family, while 1080i is used by NBC/Universal, CBS, Time Warner, and Discovery.

720p: ABC, Fox, ESPN Networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, ESPN 3D), A&E Networks (A&E, History, History International, Crime & Investigation, Biography), Fox Sports Net, Fox News, Fox Business, FX, CBS College Sports, MLB Network, Disney Channels (Disney, DXD, Disney Kids, ABC Family), Speed Channel, Fuel, Big Ten Network, SportsSouth, Sunshine Sports Network, SportsTime Ohio

1080i: NBC, CBS, CW, Univision, CNN, HDNet, NFL Network, NBA TV, Discovery Networks (Discovery, TLC, Travel Channel, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Planet Green, HD Theater), National Geographic, HGTV, Food Network, Weather Channel, HBO, Showtime, TNT, USA, TBS, MTV Networks (MTV, MTV2, VH1), Nickelodeon Networks, CNBC, Tennis Channel, Versus, NHL Network, Golf Channel, Spike TV, SyFy, Comcast Sportsnet, Comedy Central, G4, BBC America, Bravo, Turner Classic Movies, Lifetime, WGN America, Hallmark, CMT, BET, NESN, MSG, SNY, Altitude, YES Network, Mountain West Sports Network

you can use this link to put in your own zipcode to see exactly how your stations are broadcasting:

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineu...#lineup_6243499

Edited by keggerz

Over the air HD is by far the best picture quality due to much less compression. However, your sports choices are limited unless you live in Houston and enjoy futbol.