[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lost my Dog

Sugar Magnolia

I think what hurts so much (at least me) is I believe they dont know they will die. They live in the moment - we have time to prepare for our deaths and understand the inevitablity of it. I put two dogs down in the last few years and almost lost one to the attack of another dog.

I look at him from time to time and think about his innocense and it makes me sad. The best you can do is make their brief time here as great as possible, so what if you spoil them etc - thats why they are here. As previous, cherish the memories and for giving your pet a great life

I know how much you loved and cared for your dogs, SM, and all animals in general....evidenced by the time you took to help us when our pup was training and going through some issues of her own a couple years ago with her hips.

My heart goes out to you at this sad time....it will get better, and the memories of your friend will become happy ones as time passes.

So True. Sorry Sugar :wacko:

My deepest sympathy, Shug.

I still dream about all the dogs we've had, even the nutball Nilly. Good memories.

I always hoped that I wouldn't have had to put them down...that one day they just wouldn't wake up. Never happened...probably never will.

Enjoy the memories.

Condolences - one of the hardest things to go through. Here's to his memory :wacko: - you're better for having known him.

I am a better person for knowing him. He was not a dog who learned by traditional training methods. He did not misbehave (as I believe most dogs don't), because he was trying to be alpha. Training methods using force and intimidation left him confused and he lost his trust in me. I saw him behave because he was intimidated by me, not because he enjoyed pleasing me. His ears would go back, his body low, and he often avoided me. It broke my heart. He shut down and froze because of his fear, and I read it as being stubborn and willful, giving me permission to be more forceful and punitive in my training. The defining moment was when I even tried a shock collar--that's when I hit rock bottom and felt there had to be another way.

I shifted my training methods to always setting dogs up to be right, and rewarding the behavior I do want, so they want to do that for you again. I ignored behaviors I didn't want, and never again corrected him for being wrong. The choke chains and prong collars went in the trash can, and the alpha rolls and yelling became a thing of the past. I switched from trying to be dominant over him, to training him as if I was his parent/coach/teacher. We became partners in life, instead of a relationship based on a dominant owner and submissive/fearful dog. My relationship eroded so much from our early training, that it took a year for him to completely trust me again. After that he blossomed. He was so attached to me, that he couldn't be without me. He would loyally wait for me to come home, with his body smashed against the door until my return. Even at the end, when he struggled to walk, he would follow me where ever I went.

I am now a dog trainer and behaviorist and able to help others, because of this dog. I still cry when I think of how I mistreated him early on because of my own ignorance. He was so sensitive and I just crushed his self confidence and he was miserable. I am so glad I turned things around early so he didn't have to live his life with an over bearing owner. I owe it all to Dr. Patricia McConnell, PhD, through her book, The Other End of the Leash, to help me see the light and give my dog the happy life he deserved. All my training methods now come from methods supported by studies and research done by PhD Applied Animal Behaviorists, not TV personalities that consider themselves an expert, because they grew up watching dogs in their village in Mexico.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I know there are a lot of dog lovers on this forum.

I am very sorry I know exactly how you feel.

I am a better person for knowing him. He was not a dog who learned by traditional training methods. He did not misbehave (as I believe most dogs don't), because he was trying to be alpha. Training methods using force and intimidation left him confused and he lost his trust in me. I saw him behave because he was intimidated by me, not because he enjoyed pleasing me. His ears would go back, his body low, and he often avoided me. It broke my heart. He shut down and froze because of his fear, and I read it as being stubborn and willful, giving me permission to be more forceful and punitive in my training. The defining moment was when I even tried a shock collar--that's when I hit rock bottom and felt there had to be another way.

I shifted my training methods to always setting dogs up to be right, and rewarding the behavior I do want, so they want to do that for you again. I ignored behaviors I didn't want, and never again corrected him for being wrong. The choke chains and prong collars went in the trash can, and the alpha rolls and yelling became a thing of the past. I switched from trying to be dominant over him, to training him as if I was his parent/coach/teacher. We became partners in life, instead of a relationship based on a dominant owner and submissive/fearful dog. My relationship eroded so much from our early training, that it took a year for him to completely trust me again. After that he blossomed. He was so attached to me, that he couldn't be without me. He would loyally wait for me to come home, with his body smashed against the door until my return. Even at the end, when he struggled to walk, he would follow me where ever I went.

I am now a dog trainer and behaviorist and able to help others, because of this dog. I still cry when I think of how I mistreated him early on because of my own ignorance. He was so sensitive and I just crushed his self confidence and he was miserable. I am so glad I turned things around early so he didn't have to live his life with an over bearing owner. I owe it all to Dr. Patricia McConnell, PhD, through her book, The Other End of the Leash, to help me see the light and give my dog the happy life he deserved. All my training methods now come from methods supported by studies and research done by PhD Applied Animal Behaviorists, not TV personalities that consider themselves an expert, because they grew up watching dogs in their village in Mexico.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I know there are a lot of dog lovers on this forum.

I love this! :wacko: You're right. It's SO rewarding when an animal trusts you and SO heartbreaking when they don't.

I'm sorry Shug. There will always be a hole in your heart from losing such a wonderful companion. But it will be filled with cherished memories.

Be well my friend!

I love this! :wacko: You're right. It's SO rewarding when an animal trusts you and SO heartbreaking when they don't.

I'm sorry Shug. There will always be a hole in your heart from losing such a wonderful companion. But it will be filled with cherished memories.

Be well my friend!

I got a bit on a soap box yesterday re: training of dogs. I had just gotten off the phone with a former client who went thru my classes learning positive training. His dog has recently become aggressive towards other dogs. When his dog growls at other dogs or looks at other dogs and not him, and he pinches his lip hard until he stops growling and or looks at him. He didn't learn this method from me! Now the dog is associating other dogs, with it's lip being pinched, making him more aggressive. If a parent pinched the lip of a child throwing a temper and continued to pinch it until the child stopped crying or screaming, it would be considered child abuse, but many of us do even harsher things than that to our dogs. I took bad advice and did not so pleasant things to my own dog, and don't want others to do the same. It is not necessary, and so unfair to the dog.

Back to the client who called; we meet on Monday, but I gave him a tip to work on ahead of time. To capture his dog before he growls and continue to reward no growls. If he growls, do not correct, just redirect the behavior away from the other dog, ask the dog to do something that is right and reward. He went out around other dogs for an hour yesterday and was so excited that his dog didn't growl, he allowed his dog to sniff another dog (which I told him not to do-LOL)--and no aggression. He called me yesterday because his dog has attacked three dogs (with no injuries) in three previous outings on the trail. This dog did not get fixed yesterday, but we are on the road to having a dog who can be socially appropriate.