[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Electronics fanatics

rajncajn

The satellite providers (Directv) use coax to run from the satellite to your TV. Every cable box I've ever seen has a coax connector for your "IN" line. What's the point of having an HDTV at all if coax won't carry the signal and all the equipment available will only accept coax? Not saying you're wrong by any means, but count me among the highly skeptical. Again, if there are other options that you're aware of I'd really appreciate the info.

When I had DirectTV, I had the industrial coax going into my box, and connected the TV to the box using HDMI. The TV doesn't have the internal processor those cable boxes have, which is why the coax looks and works fine into the box, but not from the box to the TV. The back of your box should have component outputs along with HDMI. If you only have 2 HD sets, run the split coax to the non HD sets and run component to one HD set and HDMI to the other both direct from the box. You won't be splitting any HD signals that way.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He means you have to send the signal through a cable box first to get a HD picture and pair it with the proper cables. Coax --> cable box --> HDMI cable --> HDTV.

ETA: And of course the cable box must be an HD cable box too.

Well, I thought that was pretty much a given. :tup:

Yeah, I've already got the high-grade HDMI cables to run from each cable box to their respective HDTVs. This discussion was only meant for reducing signal loss in what runs from the junction box outside to the distribution points inside. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

Well, I thought that was pretty much a given. :tup:

Yeah, I've already got the high-grade HDMI cables to run from the cable box to the the HDTVs. This discussion was only meant for what runs from the junction box outside to the distribution points inside. :wacko:

My bad.I misread your junction box in the first post as the only box inside the house, not as your external one.

:wacko: Scared the crap outta me after I'd already called the cable company to come out.

Sorry, I've seen this half a dozen times already: parents get the HD cable box setup and the cable guy connects to the TV to the box using the same coax off the truck. Which amounts to nothing, really.

I certainly have a coax connecting my HD box from the wall, but not from the box to the TV. If you do, you're not pulling an HD signal. If you don't believe me and have your TV connected from the box via coax, go and swap it with an HDMI or component cable. The picture will jump thru your screen.

Gotcha. I guess I thought that was obvious so I really didn't think about bringing it up. All my TVs except one are HD and have boxes with HDMI cables. I suppose it is worth mentioning though. I've caught my parents occasionally watching the nonHD channel of something but the TV was set to stretch that signal and they didn't realize the difference for awhile. :wacko:

These HDMI cables of which you speak... WHen I bought my TV I was told that I needed one of these $130 cables to get HD, so I bought it. While the box and cable were being installed by Comcast the guy had everything hooked up and I asked if he could install this expensive ass cable. He told me that i didn't need it. Is this the same as a HDMI cable or is it different?

These HDMI cables of which you speak... WHen I bought my TV I was told that I needed one of these $130 cables to get HD, so I bought it. While the box and cable were being installed by Comcast the guy had everything hooked up and I asked if he could install this expensive ass cable. He told me that i didn't need it. Is this the same as a HDMI cable or is it different?

When you call the cable-guy come out, he installs a generic HDMI for you...and often, if you are not that concerned with high-end geekdom, its more than enough to get the HD signal from your Box to your TV. So yes, he was right....you didn't "need" the extra cable you bought with your TV.

Now, if you want the ultimate, absolute best possible HD feed from your box to your TV...then yes, you do indeed need the higher-end HDMI cable. However, you likely would never notice the difference, and you didn't need to spend $130 on it (you likely shelled out retail for a Monster cable)....you could have gotten it online for about 70-90% of the cost.

Here's why

I have always use monoprice, and have never been disappointed.

When you call the cable-guy come out, he installs a generic HDMI for you...and often, if you are not that concerned with high-end geekdom, its more than enough to get the HD signal from your Box to your TV. So yes, he was right....you didn't "need" the extra cable you bought with your TV.

Now, if you want the ultimate, absolute best possible HD feed from your box to your TV...then yes, you do indeed need the higher-end HDMI cable. However, you likely would never notice the difference, and you didn't need to spend $130 on it (you likely shelled out retail for a Monster cable)....you could have gotten it online for about 70-90% of the cost.

Here's why

I have always use monoprice, and have never been disappointed.

I got mine from Newegg. :wacko:

Now, if you want the ultimate, absolute best possible HD feed from your box to your TV...then yes, you do indeed need the higher-end HDMI cable.

I don't know that even that much is true. I'd like to see the testing or whatever that indicates there is any performance difference whatsoever, because I am far from convinced that there is any.

I don't know that even that much is true. I'd like to see the testing or whatever that indicates there is any performance difference whatsoever, because I am far from convinced that there is any.

Az, is right. It's a digital signal. The signal either shows up or it doesn't. It's not going to degrade the pic. I've bought all my cables from monoprice and they are way cheaper than anything you will find at a b&m store. The hustle for Worst Buy and the like is that they don't make much on the TVs so they can gut you on the peripherals (expensive cables, calibration services, etc.). Monster Cable is a scam and basically it's the kings new clothes for HDTV owners that don't know better.

HDMI ALL THE SAME

Az, is right. It's a digital signal. The signal either shows up or it doesn't. It's not going to degrade the pic. I've bought all my cables from monoprice and they are way cheaper than anything you will find at a b&m store. The hustle for Worst Buy and the like is that they don't make much on the TVs so they can gut you on the peripherals (expensive cables, calibration services, etc.). Monster Cable is a scam and basically it's the kings new clothes for HDTV owners that don't know better.

While Az is right, there are artifacts that can show up on your screen if your hdmi cable is crappy but that really only happens when you run long distances or use baluns.

For most applications out there, any hdmi cable will suffice. Especially going from cable box to tv.

Speaking of television, I finally watched the pilot of Breaking Bad last night. Decent show, definitely some laughs and an original concept. Can't say I'm as hooked as some of you guys but I'm going to keep watching.

I watched it on streaming Netflix, using an LG blu-ray player connected to my 32" Samsung LCD using a 3-foot HDMI cable. The satellite dish is located on the roof of our house.

So, looking at coax there are just two options at Lowe's, RG-6 & RG-6Q. The Q stands for "quad" meaning there are 4 layers of the aluminum inner shielding. The price per roll is about $20 more for the Q. Given my main HDTV and my modem are relatively close to the source do you all think it's worth the extra $$ for the added benefit? Just seems like it'd be a bit of overkill when I can get a decent enough gain with what I'm already doing.

Just FYI, the reason I'm doing all this is because when I went to Directv I got to see first hand what a mess the the previous owner made of the cable runs in my house adding splits, splices & low grade coax. When the technician set me up he basically told me that I'm not getting the speeds I'm paying for on my internet service because the cable is broken 5 times before it even hits the modem and the cable he used is crap. He even showed me the difference on his meter between a 250' roll he had on his truck & what I was getting between my junction box and wall outlet. So I figure while I'm switching back to cable I may as well fix the problem and do it right this time.

So, looking at coax there are just two options at Lowe's, RG-6 & RG-6Q. The Q stands for "quad" meaning there are 4 layers of the aluminum inner shielding. The price per roll is about $20 more for the Q. Given my main HDTV and my modem are relatively close to the source do you all think it's worth the extra $$ for the added benefit? Just seems like it'd be a bit of overkill when I can get a decent enough gain with what I'm already doing.

How many feet will the coax travel? If it's under 300', you will not need Quad shield.

ETA: are you terminating yourself? RG6Q is more expensive to terminate as well.

Edited by MrTed46

How many feet will the coax travel? If it's under 300', you will not need Quad shield.

ETA: are you terminating yourself? RG6Q is more expensive to terminate as well.

Definitely under 300' for each run. The one to my PC is only about 75' max. My main HD is even less. I think the most I'll have to run is about 100'. The worst part about it will be actually running it as I have to clear out a closet to access the back part of my attic and run it over a vaulted ceiling. That's gonna be a bitch to do by myself, but I've run cable before & I've got a pretty good plan. The only thing that concerns me there is the fact that there will likely be quite a bit of heat at the peak of the house where it will be running and I'm not sure how that might affect the signal as well. I'm hoping to get it all in in time to let the cable guy terminate everything since they have the better equipment and the know-how. I don't want to go through all that trouble only to Oprah up the connectors.

Edited by rajncajn

Definitely under 300' for each run. The one to my PC is only about 75' max. My main HD is even less. I think the most I'll have to run is about 100'. The worst part about it will be actually running it as I have to clear out a closet to access the back part of my attic and run it over a vaulted ceiling. That's gonna be a bitch to do by myself, but I've run cable before & I've got a pretty good plan. The only thing that concerns me there is the fact that there will likely be quite a bit of heat at the peak of the house where it will be running and I'm not sure how that might affect the signal as well. I'm hoping to get it all in in time to let the cable guy terminate everything since they have the better equipment and the know-how. I don't want to go through all that trouble only to Oprah up the connectors.

Most cable companies no longer use RG6 and now use RG6Q

They may not have connectors for RG6. Some connectors can be compressed to both but not all. I would check before purchasing.

Most cable companies no longer use RG6 and now use RG6Q

They may not have connectors for RG6. Some connectors can be compressed to both but not all. I would check before purchasing.

Good thing you mentioned that. I called the cable company and they said they are using RG-11 now. :wacko: Lowe's and Home Depot doesn't even carry it so I'm gonna have to search some of the local electronics stores.

Speaking of television, I finally watched the pilot of Breaking Bad last night. Decent show, definitely some laughs and an original concept. Can't say I'm as hooked as some of you guys but I'm going to keep watching.

I watched it on streaming Netflix, using an LG blu-ray player connected to my 32" Samsung LCD using a 3-foot HDMI cable. The satellite dish is located on the roof of our house.

Have you watched the "new" Time Allen show, Last Man Standing? I find it to be quite hughmorous. He has three daughters, the one that plays the 17YO would be locked in basement for a year if she stopped by the house, and they are always getting into odd/funny situations and, of course, TIm Allen's character is the epitome of a smartass male. The show is great. The bad part is that each time I watch I connect with Tim and the plot lines, which means I'm getting OLD...

Do you use the same type of cabling for Satellite as you do for cable? I don't want to get this thread off track, but I think you may be going off on a tangent as this is about cable, cable.

Good thing you mentioned that. I called the cable company and they said they are using RG-11 now. :wacko: Lowe's and Home Depot doesn't even carry it so I'm gonna have to search some of the local electronics stores.

What happened to RG's 7-10?

I thought they used RG-11 to get into the house then used RG6Q. RG11 is overkill.