[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey my Pacific NW friends....

SteelBunz

You guys doing alright up there?? Who is in that ice storm? :wacko:

I lived in Louisville one year when we had a HUGH ice storm. Gorgeous......but treacherous!

Didn't help that the city only had one snow plow/salt truck for the entire city......LOL. :tup:

Everyone alright?? Check in please. :lol:

Nice and warm at my house. Of course I couldn't get out if I wanted to with all the snow and solid ice on top.

We didn't get anything near what most of the rest of Western Washington got though. 'Bout 4-5 inches of snow and a half inch of ice on top of that. \

So drbob and the people next door are doin' okay too.

Doing fine, as we got approx a foot of snow, and some high wind gusts and single digit temps. What's is an apocalypse in Western WA, is what a lot of places consider an decent winter storm. We've been getting colder temps up here in the nw corner of the nw. No ice yet.

Kid hasn't been to school since last Friday - snow is supposed to start melting tomorrow so I'll get my revenge on those neighbors who spent hours shoveling their driveway.

-6 for a high today

We had it in higher elevations only. My son's snowman lasted about an hour. it was 56 in Portland yesterday and 53 on my commute in this morning. Buckets of rain coming down right now though. Usually the temp difference between Portland and Seattle is less than 10 degrees. It does look like a mess up there.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

We're hanging in there. My wife said the power is out at home. Nobody else has been able to get to work this week so I've been working through all my days off holding down the fort solo style. I was able to get off in time to take the wife for her first time sledding yesterday. I probably should have shown her how it works before she took off backwards down the steepest hill we could find.

Really though, it is nothing. We get six inches of snow and the whole region freaks out and shuts down. People who live here that are originally from the northeast or midwest love to make fun of all of us rookies. Six inches of snow and it is a national story.

This AM they said that we would have freezing rain until after noon and then it would become rain. So.....we had freezing rain until about an hour ago and then it started snowing and hasn't stopped. :wacko:

I try very hard to stay off the roads when it snows or there is ice around here. The majority of people just have no clue how to drive in bad weather. None at all. They are a menace to themselves and everyone else out on the highways. Drives me nuts. So I stay at home. Where I belong. :tup:

People who live here that are originally from the northeast or midwest love to make fun of all of us rookies.

People who live 100 miles east of us make fun. Although the wet snow over here can make massively slick like conditions (much more so than other parts of the mountain west); people over here just don't know how to drive, municipalities are limited with removal equipment, and people often don't have adequate tires and/or vehicles.

It's pretty simple; as long as you don't need to stop, turn, or accelerate quickly - you are typically going to be okay. And momentum going uphill isn't a bad thing. :wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

I live in a neighborhood in South Seattle at the base of a hill that is more or less at sea level (Lake Washington is roughly a half mile east). The main drag, Rainier Ave, has been sanded, but is darn near undrivable with the amount of slush. I'm surprised at the number of people trying.

My walk to the grocery store about a mile away took an hour and a half there and back, mostly because I stopped and talked with the Mexican Evangelical Christians building a very elaborate snow sculpture on a tennis court, which I found out is a replica of their main church in Guadalajara. They had like 40 people, mostly kids, helping out trying to get it complete before nightfall. Walking back, it was much darker with the sun going down and the lights of the tennis court gave it a very chilling (oh, snap!) effect.

I also took forever and a day to walk to the damn Safeway because I had to be a part of *4* diifferent groups of people that helped motorists out of the snow on side streets trying to get onto Rainier. Dumbasses, and/or immigrant Africans and Asians, and/or women. Seattlites don't drive well in the snow because its wet snow and we have cruddy tires. Our busses and fire trucks will have chains on for days before and after snowfall however, which keeps our taxes high so we can fix the roads.

My folks and sister in Olympia, and my friends in the Tacoma area have all been without power since this morning. Highways have been closed due to fallen trees with ice on them. Supposedly, the thaw will begin when the sleet turns to rain at 4am Friday.

Doesn't keep people from skiing down city streets and making jumps off iconic viewpoints.

I live in a neighborhood in South Seattle at the base of a hill that is more or less at sea level (Lake Washington is roughly a half mile east). The main drag, Rainier Ave, has been sanded, but is darn near undrivable with the amount of slush. I'm surprised at the number of people trying.

My walk to the grocery store about a mile away took an hour and a half there and back, mostly because I stopped and talked with the Mexican Evangelical Christians building a very elaborate snow sculpture on a tennis court, which I found out is a replica of their main church in Guadalajara. They had like 40 people, mostly kids, helping out trying to get it complete before nightfall. Walking back, it was much darker with the sun going down and the lights of the tennis court gave it a very chilling (oh, snap!) effect.

I also took forever and a day to walk to the damn Safeway because I had to be a part of *4* diifferent groups of people that helped motorists out of the snow on side streets trying to get onto Rainier. Dumbasses, and/or immigrant Africans and Asians, and/or women. Seattlites don't drive well in the snow because its wet snow and we have cruddy tires. Our busses and fire trucks will have chains on for days before and after snowfall however, which keeps our taxes high so we can fix the roads.

My folks and sister in Olympia, and my friends in the Tacoma area have all been without power since this morning. Highways have been closed due to fallen trees with ice on them. Supposedly, the thaw will begin when the sleet turns to rain at 4am Friday.

Doesn't keep people from skiing down city streets and making jumps off iconic viewpoints.

sounds like heaven

CNN reported that Olympia had up to 21.7 inches in the 24 hour period. Usaully get 0-3 inches.

No power still. Easily over a foot of snow. Vehicles had a quarter inch ice shield on them.

Most of my trees have major limb damage. May have to hire some Home Depot immigrants to climb that high and finish what Mother Nature started. Got some pissed off Blue Jays wondering what the heck happened to their roost.

Had to go into work to warm up and cruise the internet.... err get some work done.

Still all rain here, but now up to 73 inches in 72 hours, 20 miles from here. We are at 4100 ft., and 20 miles from here at my ski resort the base is 6500 ft.

It is very wet snow and very deep, so the cats can't get up the mountain to groom. The parking lot is only 10% open because their blowers aren't up to the task to remove such heavy snow (our snow is usually dry and fluffy) so they have called in the Oregon Dept. of Transportation to clear the parking lot after they clear the highways. Avalanches are a real danger since 5 ft of wet snow fell on a foot of dry fluffy snow.

We went from a drought to breaking a 60 year record of the most snowfall in a 72 hour period.

It's weird that we are warmer than Seattle with the same front coming through both areas. We are always colder in the winter and snow is a regular event here. I will have to ask my meteorologist friend why that is.