[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Police State?

SEC=UGA

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, it's a f'ing tattoo memorializing his dead brother. Quit making this out to be any more than what it actually is.

I said much earlier that I think the police could/should have used discretion in this circumstance and not charged here, but the discussion is much more broad than this instance.... I've already spent too much time bickering here, but I could pretty easily come up with plenty of examples where it would be completely irresponsible for parents to let their kids get tatted up.

I'm not in favor of a 10 yr old getting a tattoo, or really of anyone getting a tattoo, but it isn't necessary to criminalize it. There more pressing things legislative moralists can deal with, for instance, an education system that produces less adults who do things like allow tattoos for their 10 yr old children.

It isn't necessary to legalize it either, when these are permanent markings put on a child's body. Getting a tattoo should be a personal adult decision, and I think it stands to infringe on the child's rights way more to allow his parents to make unnecessary permanent appearance changes to a child on their behalf...

Edited by delusions of granduer

Do you think this mom in this situation should be punished?

I think social services needs to have a long look...IMO, she let the emotional aspect of her son's request cloud better judgement. Unless, of course, she would have let her son get a tattoo of anything. Either way, her ability to utilize good judgement is questionable....at best.

Should she be punished? I doubt a judge or jury would actually convict her of anything under these circumstances.

ETA: Actually, I think she will be convicted if they continue to press charges...she broke the law as written. What I meant to imply is that she won't be sentenced to anything more than a slap on the wrist. On the flip side, if a parent tattooed a spider web on their infant's face, I think they'd throw the book at them.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Oprah it, I say we allow parents to do whatever they want with their kids as long as the kid wants to do it and it doesn't hurt anyone else. No need to waste our tax money on these idiots. Who cares if it's a good idea for the kid or not. Who cares if the kid is capable of making these kind of decisions on their own. Who cares if the parent is capable of making a morally sound decision for their kid or not.

They aren't permanent, if you don't want them to be.

When the day comes that you can get a a tattoo removed for next to no money, then I will say that the law should be changed so anyone can have tattoos.... But what you're proposing is your parents sending you out in the world with a major debt on your shoulders (literally) to pay off, which especially if it's in a visible area and can affect job considerations, is quite a burden to place on them for a decision that you basically made for them at an age when they clearly don't know what's best for them.

Right now if you want to get one removed correctly, I believe you have to laser it off, so unless you're so confident that your kid is absolutely going to have the money to get it removed if he wants, it is quite permanent if you can't afford the procedure.

Edited by delusions of granduer

When the day comes that you can get a a tattoo removed for next to no money, then I will say that the law should be changed so anyone can have tattoos.... But what you're proposing is your parents sending you out in the world with a major debt on your shoulders (literally) to pay off, which especially if it's in a visible area and can affect job considerations, is quite a burden to place on them for a decision that you basically made for them at an age when they clearly don't know what's best for them.

There are way more therapists than tattoo removers, and I guarantee you that parents of children had a lot to do with why they are all in business.

I'm not in favor of a 10 yr old getting a tattoo, or really of anyone getting a tattoo, but it isn't necessary to criminalize it. There more pressing things legislative moralists can deal with, for instance, an education system that produces less adults who do things like allow tattoos for their 10 yr old children.

A++ post :wacko: Would read again.

If it was a bad decision, only they will pay the consequences.

this is not true, we as a society pay for others mistakes all the time.

The idea that anyone would be opposed to a ban on 10 year olds being allowed to get tatoos is so absurd I now welcome the annihilation promised by the Mayans.

+1

Oprah it, I say we allow parents to do whatever they want with their kids as long as the kid wants to do it and it doesn't hurt anyone else. No need to waste our tax money on these idiots. Who cares if it's a good idea for the kid or not. Who cares if the kid is capable of making these kind of decisions on their own. Who cares if the parent is capable of making a morally sound decision for their kid or not.

Why is it so difficult to get the point. The idea of a 10 year old getting a tattoo or the parent allowing it should not be judged by ANYONE. Someone explain to me why it's anyone's judgement other than the parent? You say it's bad I say it's good. Who is right? How do you judge who is right? You can't, therefore it shouldn't be illegal.

Just where do you draw the line of what a parent should be allowed to do with their child? That's what's really in question. Opinions on how people perceive tattoos greatly vary and that in itself makes me think that it's a good law to have. Given the permanency of the tattoo and that varying perception, I think the person getting it should be of an age to legally make decisions for themselves.

Now, does that mean that I think this woman should be arrested & prosecuted for this? No, absolutely not. It was an ignorant mistake borne out of emotion for a lost loved one. A mistake that has really caused no one any harm.

There are way more therapists than tattoo removers, and I guarantee you that parents of children had a lot to do with why they are all in business.

Fortunately and unfortunately, there is no law against being a crappy parent in a free society; But restricting something that clearly should be a personal adult decision until the time that the person is an adult, is completely reasonable...

Why is it so difficult to get the point. The idea of a 10 year old getting a tattoo or the parent allowing it should not be judged by ANYONE. Someone explain to me why it's anyone's judgement other than the parent? You say it's bad I say it's good. Who is right? How do you judge who is right? You can't, therefore it shouldn't be illegal.

Because being a parent does not give you the right or role of making unnecessary permanent adult decisions for your kids, that are more appropriate to leave up to them for when they're old enough to be able to decide on their own. I do not think it should be up to one's parents what artwork goes on that minor's body. Again, it's one of those things that falls into a personal adult decision for that individual to decide.

And again, yes 18 is asomewhat arbitrary cut-off, but it's at that time you would be getting out of high school and possibly moving out, so I think it's a perfectly legitimate cut-off for a permanent decision to be taken seriously by the then-grown individual, and no one else. If you still want it at 18, get it then. It's so simple that I'm really done arguing about it...

I say it's good for my kids to drink wine with their meals and smoke a cigar after. Who are you to judge?

It's not illegal for parents to have their baby daughters get their ears pierced. It's allowable for parents to consent to their daughters having abortions. It's allowable for parents to consent to their kids having cosmetic surgery. Why would any parent think a tattoo would be different from these other things.

this is what it boils down to for me. is it a bad idea for a kid to get a tattoo? probably, but I would hope the parents are in the best position to judge.

and here's the other thing. on the one hand, we always (rightfully) bemoan the fact that there are so many chitty parents out there. parents who aren't accountable, aren't responsible, aren't trustworthy. well, when the government nanny just keeps siphoning off responsibility and accountability from parents, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

this is what it boils down to for me. is it a bad idea for a kid to get a tattoo? probably, but I would hope the parents are in the best position to judge.

and here's the other thing. on the one hand, we always (rightfully) bemoan the fact that there are so many chitty parents out there. parents who aren't accountable, aren't responsible, aren't trustworthy. well, when the government nanny just keeps siphoning off responsibility and accountability from parents, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Do you think that all age restrictions are "nanny state", because I view them differently as adult priveledges, such as driving, smoking, drinking, tattoos... Beyond age-restrcitions, I'm very much with you about the "self-fullfilling" prophecy of an entitlement nanny state, but I jsut don't see how it's nannying to classify certain things as purely adult decisions.

Do you think that all age restrictions are "nanny state", because I view them differently as adult priveledges, such as driving, smoking, drinking, tattoos... Beyond age-restrcitions, I'm very much with you about the "self-fullfilling" prophecy of an entitlement nanny state, but I jsut don't see how it's nannying to classify certain things as purely adult decisions.

not all age restrictions (and again, to me this particular issue is akin to others where there is no such absolute age restriction), but I think that is a particular area where the government should err on the side of restraint because it does necessarily infringe upon parental authority. far too often, rather than erring on the side of restraint, they overreact to some public spectacle and do the exact opposite.

Edited by Azazello1313

I know ignorance of the law is no excuse, but I do understand why the parent would think that as long as she gave her consent it would be ok. It's not illegal for parents to have their baby daughters get their ears pierced. It's allowable for parents to consent to their daughters having abortions. It's allowable for parents to consent to their kids having cosmetic surgery. Why would any parent think a tattoo would be different from these other things.

I think the person who was running the tattoo shop should be held more to blame. They should know the laws concerning their industry and when the mom brought the kid in to the shop, the guy should have said, "I'm sorry, but it's illegal for me to give a kid a tattoo even with parental consent."

Again, I think it's a matter of where we as a society should draw the line. While I don't agree with getting a child's ear pierced until they are old enough to decide if that's something they actually want, it's still something that is not considered permanent. All you have to do is take them out and the hole closes up. Would you say something like this is OK for someone to do for their child? Is that extreme enough for you to say there should be a law against it?

I say it's good for my kids to drink wine with their meals and smoke a cigar after. Who are you to judge?

Exactly. I let mine drive a tractor age 3 with no seat belt. It's my decision.

So removing child protection laws will improve parenting?