[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Problemwith bulging Disk

isleseeya

Any huddlers have experience with bulging disk that impinges on a nerve ?

for me its a bulging disk in my lower back impinging L-4 nerve

Beginning physical therapy on Monday and hoping it helps alot and quick as i have been in pain for 2 months now ...i was working out 5 days a week and have been totally shut down since mid november ...driving me crazy so i am hoping the therapy helps

also it was suggested to consider cortisone shots but think i may hold off on that till i try therapy

any advice , input , etc would be greatly appreciated

Edited by isleseeya

For me the shots don't do squat. I more than a bulging disk though so maybe it would be different for you. Therapy never seems like it helps except when I don't go. Then I realize that even though it is not a lot, I am getting something out of it. One thing that I would recommend to anyone with a back problem is to get more than one opinion. I have been though three back doctors and they all want to treat differently. The first one put me on steroids that did almost nothing for me other than help an already overweight guy put on a bunch more weight.

I'm sorry I don't have anything good to say to you but my road has been pretty bad. Others have had much better success so I hope they come along and share the road to success with you. Good luck!

For me the shots don't do squat. I more than a bulging disk though so maybe it would be different for you. Therapy never seems like it helps except when I don't go. Then I realize that even though it is not a lot, I am getting something out of it. One thing that I would recommend to anyone with a back problem is to get more than one opinion. I have been though three back doctors and they all want to treat differently. The first one put me on steroids that did almost nothing for me other than help an already overweight guy put on a bunch more weight.

I'm sorry I don't have anything good to say to you but my road has been pretty bad. Others have had much better success so I hope they come along and share the road to success with you. Good luck!

Thanks skip as you did help ...i am actually going for 2nd opinion and other doctor on 2 / 7 ...hoping therapy helps somewhat and alot if possible

Check out this thread. At least three Huddlers have had spinal fusion after chronic debilitating back pain. I'm one. PM me if you like - mine was a colossal success.

Thanks Ursa ...i may take you up on offer to PM you ...I am waiting to get more info and my 2nd opinion appt with another dr is on Feb 7th

hoping to get more info and clearer picture

Thanks Ursa ...i may take you up on offer to PM you ...I am waiting to get more info and my 2nd opinion appt with another dr is on Feb 7th

hoping to get more info and clearer picture

Talking of clearer pictures, get an MRI. Absolutely essential.

Check out this thread. At least three Huddlers have had spinal fusion after chronic debilitating back pain. I'm one. PM me if you like - mine was a colossal success.

I am one of those that has had spinal fusion (2 levels, L4,L5 & S1), I am 6 months post-op and just saw the doc about 10 days ago, at that appointment he told me my fusion was like 80% complete...I still have pain, but nothing at all like I did, as it stands now it is just muscles that aren't happy as I recover...as it stands now, even not 100% recovered yet I would have the surgery again, no questions asked...that doesn't mean it is easy, because it isn't. Like Ursa, feel free to PM me for more info if you would like...oh and as for those shots, they didn't do me any good really, and I say THEY because I had 4 in less than 12 months(if memory serves me)....no matter what, good luck

PT did not help me--the exercises were too whimpy. What I did was swim--this was about 30 years ago, and the pain mostly went away, except when I lifted something poorly, too heavy, or golf always triggered it. I would swim one mile 2x a week. I got the bulging disk from lifting my sales rep samples poorly because I was always in a hurry, running from one account to another. The pain never completely went away, and the big problem was I would avoid strengthening my back, or lifting anything heavy because it hurt to do so. My muscles in my lower back and core, over a few decades, really atrophied.

My back started to really bother me again about two years ago, even waking me up when I rolled over in bed. I would have to take 400 mg of motrin just to play golf, or when I swung the club I would collapse in pain. I started pilates (and would have done yoga as well but it is too boring). When my back got stronger, I started lifting weights, then moved into crossfit training. With just pilates, I was 95% pain free in just two weeks, because the exercises focus on your core muscles. I did it 4 days a week for 30-60 minutes. From the start of pilates, I was doing crossfit in just 6 months. I just got a pilates book and did it on my own. Traditional ab exercises did hurt my back (they don't anymore), but using the pilates method, and a medicine ball, kept my back in good posture when engaging the abs and lower back. If you try this I would just use the medicine ball to start because it puts you in correct posture. The book I mentioned has just ball exercises.

Now I am 100% pain free and continue pilates on my own, and go to 1-2 crossfit classes a week. I am stronger and fitter than I was in my 20's, when I kayaked, backpacked, climbed, and biked all the time. I am almost 54 years old.

I had to have a disk removed in 03. I think the best advise you can get right now is to echo what ursa and skippy said, if you haven't had an MRI yet, you really don't know what the exact problem is.

When I first hurt my back the insurance company would NOT pay for an MRI,t he doc prescribed PT and it helped, that is until I re-injured it about a year and a half later, then I got my MRI and well the rest is history...had they done the MRI the first time things may have been handled differently at first but probably not as the doc almost always wants to take the most non-evasive methods first, and that means PT....even after the MRI my Doc said we could go in and "shave" the disc back but he said that he recommended doing PT first to see how things went...well after god knows how much PT then the shots I ended up with the operation anyway...but the 2nd MRI(prior to deciding on surgery) did show the bulge went "back in" for the most part...but the MRI also showed an anular (sp?) tear and that didn't do me any favors...but yes to really know they need an MRI, but due to cost they could try to do PT first just based on the symptoms.

I tend to agree with this. A lot of PT clinics are owned by the very doctors referring to them.

yep, mine is affiliated...but there is something to be said about strengthening your core muscles if you have low back pain...fwiw, I haven't had to go to PT since my surgery...have handled all the stretching and stuff on my own, up to this point anyway

As I posted in prior threads, I had a spinal fusion in 2006 for a disc problem causing pressure on my sciatic nerve. The MRI was diagnostic, and I tried everything (except epidural injections) to no avail for my pain. The recovery from the surgery was brutal, but now I'm glad I had the surgery because my sciatica has not returned.

I'll be praying that treatment helps your disc problem!

also it was suggested to consider cortisone shots but think i may hold off on that till i try therapy

I waited too long on my herniated L5, trying physical therapy and steroids, on a disc that was causing me tremendous pain. Ended up needing surgery about 8 years ago, and left me with some nerve damage which affects my right foot...have about 80% of the strength/feeling in that foot.

about 3 years ago, started to have some discomfort in my L4, and started to get it treated right away with PT. Didn't seem to be helping, so I went with the cortizone injection...was supposed to be the 1st of 3 possible injections, and as it turns out, it was the only one I needed. Still feels great to this day.

I only wish I had tried them with my L5 disc instead of trying PT and oral steroid pills....can't recommend the injections enough.