[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning interview

CaptainHook

I think if Peyton's health is up in the air, and Peyton wants to go, Irsay will release him. Obviously if Peyton is not healed, but wants to stay, he will have to restructure . . .

Manning will not be healed and his health will be up in the air. The Colts will not pay him the $28M.

I'm not sure about the timing issues, but the question will be how much is someone willing to pay a 36 year old quarterback with three neck surgeries in 18 months or so who hasn't played in two years.

Manning will not be healed and his health will be up in the air. The Colts will not pay him the $28M.

I'm not sure about the timing issues, but the question will be how much is someone willing to pay a 36 year old quarterback with three neck surgeries in 18 months or so who hasn't played in two years.

IF he passes a physical, he will get paid plenty and be a HUGH pickup. I think this whole thing is going to blow up in Indy's face. Is Andrew Luck really that good? He better be...

Manning's response:

It is so sad and so hard to write it again, but it's true: Peyton Manning is done in Indianapolis.

After listening to Manning Monday night, after listening to owner Jim Irsay characterize Manning Thursday as "a politician" who should keep his concerns "in house," there's no other conclusion to be reached by a sane, sober human being: Manning's days in Indianapolis are over, and they have been over for quite some time. On a day when the introduction of Chuck Pagano as the Colts new head coach should have been the story, Irsay stole the headlines.

What matters now is for this once-beautiful relationship, which produced so much success and joy to central Indiana, to stop deteriorating and to start moving forward in a more appropriate manner.

After talking Thursday about Manning as "family," Irsay said, "He's a politician. When it comes to being competitive on a scale of one to 10, 10 being the highest, we're both 11s. There have been plenty of eggshells scattered around this building by him (Manning) with his competitive desire to win.

"I don't think it's in the (best) interest to paint the Horseshoe in a negative light, I really don't. . . The horseshoe always comes first. One thing (Manning has) always known, and he's been around it so long, you keep it in the family. If you've got a problem, talk to each other. It's not about campaigning or anything like that."

Manning responded with an exclusive comment to The Star, saying by phone Thursday night:

"At this point, Mr. Irsay and I owe it to each other and to the fans of the organization to handle this appropriately and professionally, and I think we will. I've already reached out to Mr. Irsay. I wasn't trying to paint the Colts in a bad light, but it's tough when so many people you've known for so long are suddenly leaving. I feel very close to a lot of these guys and we've done great things together. It's hard to watch an old friend clean out his office. That's all I was trying to say.

"I just want to keep rehabbing and working hard, and when the time is right for Mr. Irsay and I to sit down, I look forward to a healthy conversation about my future. I've worked too hard and have such great respect and have so many great relationships inside the building and out, and it's incredibly important that those remain."

Irsay and Manning have meant too much to each other, to this franchise and to this city, for the relationship to turn into some kind of a battle for the hearts and minds of Indianapolis.

"I want to separate the personal and the business," Manning said Monday night. "I've seen it get personal in other situations, and I don't want that to happen here."

Too late.

Sadly, too late.

Is Irsay angry?

Yeah, he's angry.

Irsay was not happy after reading Manning's comments in The Star, during which the iconic quarterback spoke wistfully about the unsettled atmosphere at the West 56th Street facility. Irsay felt, at some level, like Manning was painting himself as the selfless hero who was using the media (namely, me) to garner the favor of the fans and paint the Colts as the heavies in this passion play.

Tuesday, Irsay tweeted:

Knowing medical situation last yr. n still paying $26,000,000.00 to #18,I've no regrets.It was right thing2do,I'm not pissed,contrary2rumor

Nobody's quite sure what rumor Irsay was referring to. But he wanted it made clear, he knew Manning's neck was a mess one year ago and still had no problem giving him all that money -- which he spelled out with eight zeroes.

Ultimately, Irsay is planning to do the only thing he can do.

But now it has to be done the right way -- with class and grace.

"There's not any sort of bad situation around here for healing or anything like that," Irsay said, referring to Manning's statement that the facility atmosphere is not conducive to healing. "That's not a correct perspective. Like I said, keep it in house, in our family. Talk to each other if you have problems. We'll work it through hand and hand and continue to talk as we get closer to the league year."

Irsay was asked, "Should fans come to grips with the idea there's a legitimate chance Peyton won't be on this roster?"

He answered, "Well, I think fans have already understood that. This is a neck, not an ankle, not a shoulder. Often times the NFL is criticized for putting people out there and for putting them at risk. I'm not going to do that. . . What he's done for the city, the state, what he means to me and our fans, we're not going to be in that situation. I just think him and I have to talk and see where his health is and go from there."

My fervent hope is this doesn't continue to devolve. We are talking about good people in a bad situation, the thorniest situation since the 49ers traded Joe Montana. We're talking about one of the best owners in sports and one of the greatest quarterbacks in history, both of them good men, both of them great philanthropists.

This should end with parades and statues, not harsh words. This should end with an entire region paying tribute to the greatest Indianapolis Colt of all time, not a blizzard of words.

The pair need to talk and they need to talk, honestly and forthrightly, right now. And Irsay needs to tell him exactly what he plans to tell him later:

"We're going to cut you. It hurts my heart and soul, but we have no choice. Our team is in cap hell. We have no flexibility. Even if we wanted to make one last run with a bunch of veterans, we couldn't because of cap issues. It's time to start over, and you start over with a 21-year-old kid, not a guy with age and health problems. This is not the way any of us wanted this to end, but it must end this way, and we must make it end in the best way possible."

This is over.

Has been for a while.

Everybody is talking around the $28 million-dollar elephant in the room. It's there. Deal with it. And deal with it in a way that elevates Irsay, Manning and their beloved horseshoe, and doesn't diminish them all.

:wacko:

Edited by CaptainHook

IF he passes a physical, he will get paid plenty and be a HUGH pickup. I think this whole thing is going to blow up in Indy's face. Is Andrew Luck really that good? He better be...

Somebody is definitely going to pay him. But its going to be too much.

He has pretty much been on the decline, a slight decline, but a decline nevertheless, since 2004. He will never be as good as he was in 2010, and his numbers that year were buoyed be a hugh number of attempts. He is two years older and has had three neck surgeries, followed by a protracted recovery. He will be with an unfamiliar team in likely an unfamiliar system.

If I'm an owner, I'm not going to break the bank for him. His days as a top 5 QB are over.

"At this point, Mr. Irsay and I owe it to each other and to the fans of the organization to handle this appropriately and professionally, and I think we will. I've already reached out to Mr. Irsay. I wasn't trying to paint the Colts in a bad light, but it's tough when so many people you've known for so long are suddenly leaving. I feel very close to a lot of these guys and we've done great things together. It's hard to watch an old friend clean out his office. That's all I was trying to say.

"I just want to keep rehabbing and working hard, and when the time is right for Mr. Irsay and I to sit down, I look forward to a healthy conversation about my future. I've worked too hard and have such great respect and have so many great relationships inside the building and out, and it's incredibly important that those remain."

Irsay and Manning have meant too much to each other, to this franchise and to this city, for the relationship to turn into some kind of a battle for the hearts and minds of Indianapolis.

"I want to separate the personal and the business," Manning said Monday night. "I've seen it get personal in other situations, and I don't want that to happen here."

Too late.

Sadly, too late.

Is Irsay angry?

Yeah, he's angry.

Oh please. This reporter is a putz. Classic press, trying to build something up into far more than it is, if it's anything at all. IMO Irsay is mildly irked at most. Manning comments a little about a lot of long-time associates leaving and now suddenly it's this big rift looming? I'm more than a little skeptical. You'd think he'd have something better to do w/a new GM and HC as well as the SB in town then spew this drek. Manning may be gone but this has nothing to do with it.

He has pretty much been on the decline, a slight decline, but a decline nevertheless, since 2004.
Which you say because? I'm not one to get hooked on stats but they don't back you up. Neither does anything else I can see. If his neck is OK, he's fine. FYI he's 35, not 45. Again if his neck is OK, he can easily be a top 5 QB for years to come. Edited by BeeR

I read something recently that the Dolphins are waiting to make a play for Matt Flynn until they see what happens with Manning (Peyton is their first choice, Flynn is second).

I agree that somebody will sign him and pay him well (if he is healthy) if the Colts release him.

Also agree that the media (as always) is trying to create a big story here. Doesn't help that both Peyton and Isray are giving the media some ammunition with their comments. In another few weeks they'll have Peyton and Isray in shouting matches at the facility, nearly coming to blows, insulting each others mothers/wives, etc. Its like some sort of junior high school drama.

Here's text of a joint statement released today by Colts owner Jim Irsay and QB Peyton Manning:

"We would like to dispel any misperception that there might be any hard feelings between us. Since 1998, we have enjoyed a great relationship, based upon mutual respect and trust. We have always been able to talk and address matters we’ve faced over the years, not just as owner and player, but as friends. We had a long talk today and we want to assure Colts fans everywhere that we are both committed to maintaining our close relationship and to working together through any challenges the future may bring."

Edited by CaptainHook

Manning ushered in his own ouster by the contract he signed and the money he took knowing damn well he could not fulfill, in any meaningful way, that contract. He took millions under false pretenses. He sold any goodwill he had banked.

Irsay is a tool. He is a Jerry Jones wannabe. Refering to the "horseshoe" like Jones refers to the "star". They are emblems, not holy icons you putzes.