[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Paterno's memorial speech on ESPN

tazinib1

Nah...this post will probably die if I don't keep replying to it. Sorry bro...but the speeches made me want to vomit. He did a TON of great things..but the one thing he DIDN'T do speaks volumes. And you can quote,post,copy any article or speech you want to differ....the point is that he will be remembered NOT for what he did, but for what he did NOT do. Sorry....plain and simple.

Edited by tazinib1

Nah...this post will probably die if I don't keep replying to it. Sorry bro...but the speeches made me want to vomit. He did a TON of great things..but the one thing he DIDN'T do speaks volumes. And you can quote,post,copy any article or speech you want to differ....the point is that he will be remembered NOT for what he did, but for what he did NOT do. Sorry....plain and simple.

Yep...a lot of those people that spoke yesterday should be ashamed of themselves. They are really blind as to what is going on outside of the Joe Paterno world. That's the sad part. So much focus on this old man that should have gone away ten years ago, but was too selfish to do the right thing on so many levels. Yet he is adored by so many. Hopefully this all ends soon as far as Joe. Move on...everyone.

Really? Phil Knight?

It should come as no surprise really. Same reason guys like Coach K and the like speak out in his defense. They're all in the inner circle. Just like Hollywood or D.C. these guys get enough run and acclaim that they truly think their poop doesn't stink. That what they're doing is so important that "indiscretions" should be taken lightly when compared to their greatness.

It's why politicians convince themselves that getting into bed with sleazeballs is "worth it". It's the reason why some dude who makes a living pretending to be other people thinks we should give two poops about what they have to say we should be doing to save the economy or planet while he flies around in a private jet. And it's the reason why a guy whose job is to win football games can convince himself that program matters over all things, because who will be there to take these amazingly gifted athletes and trade them life lessons for wins that put $$ in the coach's bank account.

I came a little late to this party, but I do have to say this. I really didn't see the greatness Paterno is given credit for, I just saw him as a coach with a ton of wins. I saw how the scandal played out. I agreed he had to be canned. I also noticed that the way the media pushed, someone was going to be crucified. Being the face of the school, I even agreed with it. What I don't agree with, is the notion that he is as bad as the person who committed the crimes. I also don't think that he isn't due respect for what he did in life. I just think that for a society that dubs itself to be so Christian, we sure our quick to vilify at the first sign of trouble. Being an outside observer, I am more appalled at the media's lack of coverage on the actual case itself and that of the victims. :wacko:

I came a little late to this party, but I do have to say this. I really didn't see the greatness Paterno is given credit for, I just saw him as a coach with a ton of wins. I saw how the scandal played out. I agreed he had to be canned. I also noticed that the way the media pushed, someone was going to be crucified. Being the face of the school, I even agreed with it. What I don't agree with, is the notion that he is as bad as the person who committed the crimes. I also don't think that he isn't due respect for what he did in life. I just think that for a society that dubs itself to be so Christian, we sure our quick to vilify at the first sign of trouble. Being an outside observer, I am more appalled at the media's lack of coverage on the actual case itself and that of the victims. :wacko:

Quality post right there. I agree 100%.

What I don't agree with, is the notion that he is as bad as the person who committed the crimes. I also don't think that he isn't due respect for what he did in life.

I've seen this line of argument, and I think it's really a red herring. I've seen very few people claiming JoePa to be "as bad as the person committing the crimes". So it's not really worth using as an arguing point IMO.

I can't say that he isn't due some respect for some things he's done, but his actions make me wonder if "all the great things he's done in his life" is more myth than reality. If you don't have the moral fortitude to make sure a pedophile isn't operating around your football program, it makes me question what less morally questionable things you'd let slide, when getting ever conceivable edge possible was a necessity for a big-time college football coach.

If you don't have the moral fortitude to make sure a pedophile isn't operating around your football program, it makes me question what less morally questionable things you'd let slide, when getting ever conceivable edge possible was a necessity for a big-time college football coach.

actually, this does not make me question less moral things, this one thing is all i need. this is the whopper. you have a guy who refused to make this a bigger issue to protect his football program and his reputation.

and to this point of equating him with sandusky, honestly, i don't know which one is worse. a pedophile is a screwed up person who needs help. a person who covers for a pedophile to protect his own reputation, even at the expense of the well being of children, knowingly, does seem to me to be worse in many ways ... one is sick, the other made a deliberate choice.

actually, this does not make me question less moral things, this one thing is all i need. this is the whopper. you have a guy who refused to make this a bigger issue to protect his football program and his reputation.

and to this point of equating him with sandusky, honestly, i don't know which one is worse. a pedophile is a screwed up person who needs help. a person who covers for a pedophile to protect his own reputation, even at the expense of the well being of children, knowingly, does seem to me to be worse in many ways ... one is sick, the other made a deliberate choice.

Pretty well said.

Who is more sick? The catholic priests who molested thousands of boys or the last two popes, especially the current one who wrote the rules on how to hide a priest which was accepted by the last enabler pope. I'll stop there for now.