[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The gutting of the Colts continues . . .

CaptainHook

I thought one of the rules in the new collective bargaining agreement was that a team must use a minimum % of their cap space each year? In other words, they can't just dump players to save a bunch of cap space for future years. They will have to pay salaries regardless. Am I wrong here?

Not really wrong but short term contracts are legal. They will certainly be players in the FA market and draft. Freeing up future cap space is what rebuilding teams do. They will have a chance to get better quickly by only signing long term deals to younger players going forward.

This is not a cheap team, they are simply positioning themselves to spend based on the rebuilding plan so dumping old contracts and players taking hits now is smart if the goal is reload for the future. If they cut a player the bonus payments made hit now so they are hitting thier cap number pretty hard is my guess

I dont know the colts cap situation, but not sure it was necessary to cut all those vets to pay Luck especially with new rookie pay.

Clark is the only player there would be any question about. He is basicially a slot reciever. He is small and not much of a blocker. He was very good in Mannings offense but lets face it, they will not be running that offense and Clark is getting long in tooth. Expect them to bring in a bigger body that can block as they move to a more ball control offense this season as they develop Luck.

Man, I'm not sure I like my situation if I'm Andrew Luck. I think history has proven that rookie QBs who start their careers with no supporting cast are far less likely to live up to expectations, let alone exceed them, than a QB who has an adequate foundation around him. This negative resistance is magnified if the O-line is bad. I'm no Colts expert but I'm assuming Saturday is following Manning and they're losing 2 valuable passing options and the other TE (Tamme) is a FA. I can't name another Colts O-line them so I'm assuming there's nothing spectacular there :shrug: I'm not saying Luck is guaranteed failure, but certainly his probability is diminished, no?

As always, time will tell. It will be interesting to watch unfold.

Man, I'm not sure I like my situation if I'm Andrew Luck. I think history has proven that rookie QBs who start their careers with no supporting cast are far less likely to live up to expectations, let alone exceed them, than a QB who has an adequate foundation around him. This negative resistance is magnified if the O-line is bad. I'm no Colts expert but I'm assuming Saturday is following Manning and they're losing 2 valuable passing options and the other TE (Tamme) is a FA. I can't name another Colts O-line them so I'm assuming there's nothing spectacular there :shrug: I'm not saying Luck is guaranteed failure, but certainly his probability is diminished, no?

As always, time will tell. It will be interesting to watch unfold.

Good thing he can run fast and has a quick release. He probably should call Troy Aikman to get a few pointers before the season starts. Of course he already knows Manning who I think was 3-13 as rookie. I agree, it will be interesting.

Colts season ticket payments were due March 2. I'm not surprised all these cuts happened after that date. I'm sure the stadium is sold out for this year.

As for the Colts offensive line, they drafted two tackles last year in the first and second round. They are young, but they'll be decent. The WR corp is what has me worried. There is nothing left except Austin Collie. Hopefully they can get Garcon re-signed. That's why I'm just floored they cut Clark. He was hurt in 2010. In 2011, he kinda mailed it in. He had a bunch of drops and was inept when asked to block, but I thought he'd stick around to be Luck's security blanket . . .

Hopefully they can get something decent via trade for Dwight Freeney. There are tons of holes to fill, and we need draft picks!

I actually like this direction for IND. Without Manning, we saw just how bad this team really was. There's no reason to keep vets whose contributions are marginal and let them burn up playing time and cap space. Throw the marginal vets on the scrap heap and start over building around a QB like Luck. I think Clark is a bit overrated and owes a lot of his success being the safety valve for a guy who arguably was the best player ever in the history of the game and how that forced defensive backfields way further back and outside than a typical QB would, creating hugh voids for him to work in.

I don't see the point in keeping the guys they cut - how many Ws is the release of that list of guys going to cost IND? Completely revamp the team around Luck on O and Angerer on D. If I'm an IND fan, I like that rather than virtually guarantee prolonging the suckiness for a bunch of years. Took some big brass balls, but was pretty well founded in reality.

It'd be sweet if Richardson dropped and Colts traded up w/that high #2 pick back into latter 1st to get him :) I know, doubtful, but a nice thought. But IMO they should continue to rebuild the OL and keep Luck upright above all else. Saturday is 99% sure to retire and they are very thin.

Colts season ticket payments were due March 2. I'm not surprised all these cuts happened after that date. I'm sure the stadium is sold out for this year.

As for the Colts offensive line, they drafted two tackles last year in the first and second round. They are young, but they'll be decent. The WR corp is what has me worried. There is nothing left except Austin Collie. Hopefully they can get Garcon re-signed. That's why I'm just floored they cut Clark. He was hurt in 2010. In 2011, he kinda mailed it in. He had a bunch of drops and was inept when asked to block, but I thought he'd stick around to be Luck's security blanket . . .

Hopefully they can get something decent via trade for Dwight Freeney. There are tons of holes to fill, and we need draft picks!

Don't forget how well Jacob Tamme played in 2010 when Indy was without clark. He's a good player when he has a half decent QB and is given the chance.

Edited by Crazysight

I don't know about 100% but point well made. Manning made everyone on that team better by his presence, in some cases more than others. Don't hold your breath expecting any of them to go elsewhere and make much of a splash.