[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spring Break - Birmingham, AL on way to Destin, FL

paulzale

You guys were great help on my NOLA trip late last year, so I'm back asking for more!

We are going to be in Birmingham, AL last weekend of March/first of April. We are going to the IndyCar race on Sunday and staying in a condo on the southern part of the city. Food/Things to do?

On the evening of 4/1 we will drive to Destin, FL staying in a home with a pool a couple blocks off the beach. Any recommendations would be great on must do's, steer clear's, and general ideas. I see pool time, beach time, some fishing and relaxing for sure.

Thanks

I love Birmingham, I'm guessing you guys are going to the Barber Motorsports track?

You're not too far from B'ham proper. It is a bit sparse out where you are and would either need to travel east about 12 miles and hit a swath of retail and chain restaurants (chili's, Applebee's, Cracker Barrel, etc...) or, you can head into Birmingham area.

Some very good restaurants on the east side of town in the Highland area. Highland Grill is excellent, you will need reservations. Chez Fon Fon is very good and has an interesting menu. Bottega is in the same area and is very good. Others there that are good are Veranda on Highland, ensley seafood and there is a Ruth's Chris just southeast of this area in a hotel.

Not much help on Destin, sorry.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Staying near the intersection of 459 and 65 and yes going out to Barber Motorsport Park on Sat/Sun. There will be 4 of us, 2 teenages along with the wife and I, so probably nothing too fancy, but always like local in interesting eats.

Furd, already married, so I think I am good in hitting Destin ;)

You can stay where you are, there are a few things around the mall there. If you go NE on 459 to the HWY 280 Exit, there are some decent restaruants if you go south and if you go north there will be a mall area on your right with a number of family friendly restaurants.

If you head N on Lorna Rd., from where you are, there will be a cluster of restaurants just north of 459. THere is a seafood restaurant ther, it is a shack, but is good. Also, Golden Rule BBQ on Lorna Rd. is held in pretty high esteem in those parts.

You can stay where you are, there are a few things around the mall there. If you go NE on 459 to the HWY 280 Exit, there are some decent restaruants if you go south and if you go north there will be a mall area on your right with a number of family friendly restaurants.

If you head N on Lorna Rd., from where you are, there will be a cluster of restaurants just north of 459. THere is a seafood restaurant ther, it is a shack, but is good. Also, Golden Rule BBQ on Lorna Rd. is held in pretty high esteem in those parts.

Thanks, the BBQ and seafood shack sound perfect! The more run down the better as it will unnerve my wife!!!

The Seafood Restaurant is called the Fish Market, it is on 31 (right near you), not Lorna Rd. It will be on the right about 3/4 to 1 mile after you go under 459 (if heading N).

Do you have access to water craft? If so, there is a place in Destin known as Crab Island. If you are into drinkin' all day and lookin' at the "scenery", this is the place. This is the party place for many locals although everyone is welcome. Basically it's a hugh sandbar right by the bridge crossing from Destin into Ft.Walton on Hwy 98... but you can only get there by water craft. You can always rent a boat or jet skis, if necessary. The sandbar is underwater but most of it is just deep enough that you can wade through it below the waste. The have a houseboat restaurant that will sit out there and prepare fast food and sells beer. Like a swim/wade up type bar.

Here's a write up I found about it, which describes it pretty well:

Welcome to Crab Island.... an underwater boating and party island located on the North side of the Destin bridge. As you cross the Destin bridge, from April to November you will see anywhere from 10 to 200 boats anchored in the bay. This is where the locals anchor to spend the day swimming, snorkeling, and playing football. Yes....football as well as Frisbee and volleyball. Crab Island ranges from 2—10 feet deep... depending on where you anchor.

Bring money... During the summer season there is a restaurant/snack barge selling hamburgers and fast food. They also have a huge water trampoline. By boat, vendors sell Ice cream, boiled peanuts, and steam shrimp.

Pic #1

Pic #2

Another fun but touristy spot is the Baytowne wharf. Multiple restaurants and bars, more family oriented but nice for the adults too. Shopping, Live bands, dancing, activities... it's set up live a seaside village with all sorts of entertainment for adults and kids. (Was one of my favorite places to hang out with the family). Laid back atmosphere, can carry drinks outside of the establishments, they have entertainers and fireworks at night (No entry fee).

Edited by millerx

• 2 weeks later...

Excited to be leaving Friday!

Birmingham list of restaurants:

Golden Rule BBQ

Fishmarket on 31

Rusty's BBQ

Destin:

Crab Island only?

McGuire's Irish Pub is always fun. Good for family outing or a night out.

Do you have access to water craft? If so, there is a place in Destin known as Crab Island. If you are into drinkin' all day and lookin' at the "scenery", this is the place. This is the party place for many locals although everyone is welcome. Basically it's a hugh sandbar right by the bridge crossing from Destin into Ft.Walton on Hwy 98... but you can only get there by water craft. You can always rent a boat or jet skis, if necessary. The sandbar is underwater but most of it is just deep enough that you can wade through it below the waste. The have a houseboat restaurant that will sit out there and prepare fast food and sells beer. Like a swim/wade up type bar.

Here's a write up I found about it, which describes it pretty well:

Pic #1

Pic #2

Another fun but touristy spot is the Baytowne wharf. Multiple restaurants and bars, more family oriented but nice for the adults too. Shopping, Live bands, dancing, activities... it's set up live a seaside village with all sorts of entertainment for adults and kids. (Was one of my favorite places to hang out with the family). Laid back atmosphere, can carry drinks outside of the establishments, they have entertainers and fireworks at night (No entry fee).

Those are nog the pocs I was expecting. :smash:

I definitely recommend BBQ in Birmingham area. The smaller and more simple looking the place, the more authentic and tasty it should be. I cannot remember where we ate when I was there about 5 years ago, we found the place quite by accident.

As for Barber, if you've never been there I can offer some more tips and advice. Keeping it simple now, go to the museum if you have time and can afford the extra $$. Don't worry about where you park when you get there, they have a great system of trams that take you all around the course, with dropoff/pickup spots in all the popular viewing areas. I've been to a handful of tracks and so far Barber is my favorite. Enjoy the racing action, I'll be watching Indy Car and Grand Am on TV.

I definitely recommend BBQ in Birmingham area. The smaller and more simple looking the place, the more authentic and tasty it should be. I cannot remember where we ate when I was there about 5 years ago, we found the place quite by accident.

As for Barber, if you've never been there I can offer some more tips and advice. Keeping it simple now, go to the museum if you have time and can afford the extra $$. Don't worry about where you park when you get there, they have a great system of trams that take you all around the course, with dropoff/pickup spots in all the popular viewing areas. I've been to a handful of tracks and so far Barber is my favorite. Enjoy the racing action, I'll be watching Indy Car and Grand Am on TV.

Great advice thanks, my first natural terrain road course, so I am looking forward to it. Got the wife to agree that it is on the way to Destin!!!

Great advice thanks, my first natural terrain road course, so I am looking forward to it. Got the wife to agree that it is on the way to Destin!!!

Take a blanket, cooler (alcohol is permitted, but I believe no bottles), snacks and food for the kids. Sit on the hillside and watch racing. If you have room camping or other chairs are ok, but try not to block the views of others. Read the rules and other info on the track web site.

I went there in April (08 I think) for AMA motorcycle racing. Its a great venue, truly one of the best natural racing environments in the US. (I've been to Laguna Seca in CA several times, and Mid Ohio which is my local track). Your kids will like having room to run around when the racing doesn't hold your interest. And the wife can read or just catch some sun.

Oh and I recommend ear plugs too, cars can be very close and loud at these places.

McGuire's Irish Pub is always fun. Good for family outing or a night out.

That's Pensacola proper. If you go you must try their stout. It give Guiness a run for its money and if you like a nutty taste you might think its better. It is that good.

• 2 weeks later...

Excited to be leaving Friday!

Birmingham list of restaurants:

Golden Rule BBQ - Didn't visit

Fishmarket on 31 - Awful, wife had fried shrimp that was soggy, my Mahi Mahi had little flavor, but the nephew's crab legs were very good

Rusty's BBQ - Didn't visit

Destin:

Crab Island only? - Water too cold

Well we had a great week, the drive back was long due to all the traffic headed north at the end of spring break. The townhome we rented in Birmingham was nice and the Cottage in Destin was amazing! I have to say that the IndyCar race at Barber Motorsports Park was awesome. Spent Saturday and Sunday there. It is absolutely beautiful, interesting as you can see a lot of the track from many different areas. The tram around was nice, but small enough to walk a lot of it. We relaxed at the pool and beach in FL, hit a couple of decent restaurants along with some of the chains, nothing stood out though. Good to be home and relaxed!

Well we had a great week, the drive back was long due to all the traffic headed north at the end of spring break. The townhome we rented in Birmingham was nice and the Cottage in Destin was amazing! I have to say that the IndyCar race at Barber Motorsports Park was awesome. Spent Saturday and Sunday there. It is absolutely beautiful, interesting as you can see a lot of the track from many different areas. The tram around was nice, but small enough to walk a lot of it. We relaxed at the pool and beach in FL, hit a couple of decent restaurants along with some of the chains, nothing stood out though. Good to be home and relaxed!

Sorry... They have been on their game each time I was there. Then again, haven't been in about 3 to 4 years.