[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Meachem a WR1 in SD?

Bronco Billy

It was five years ago and I'm not a homer, sorry. Meachem did indeed play for Tennessee. It was still Meachem I was higher on. I have never thought much of Henderson.

In fairness, I was pretty high on him as well. Dude was a beast in college.

Just to clarify a little here, I believe the story originally posted quotes Norv Turner as saying that Meecheam will (or can) be the #1 WR in SD.

The fantasy analysis (from who?) at the end of that post mentions liking him as a WR2, in fantasy terms.

The thread title is asking about him being a WR1, not sure if that was in fantasy terms or for the Chargers.

I think no way he's a WR1 in fantasy terms, 2 maybe. And he may not be #1 WR on the Chargers.

As far as older guys breaking out, sometimes that just happens because they are now the focus, the primary receiver after leaving a team that had many weapons. So that could happen to Meecheam, if he is in fact the top target in SD.

In fairness, I was pretty high on him as well. Dude was a beast in college.

Yeah he was. Bowe was the LSU guy that same draft, just a few picks before Meachem, and I remember thinking both of them played a lot like TO. That's probably where LSU came from in my mind when I pictured Meachem.

IMO, all this talk about who is the #1 receiver in SD is mute. Meachem had Brees throwing to him and really never emerged as a star in NO. Rivers is throwing him the ball this year, but I think the intent of the offense will be to spread the ball around. Fantasy-wise you'll still have Gates IF he can stay healthy, but trying to predict which of the wide-outs will produce week in and week out will be maddening.

IMO, all this talk about who is the #1 receiver in SD is mute. Meachem had Brees throwing to him and really never emerged as a star in NO. Rivers is throwing him the ball this year, but I think the intent of the offense will be to spread the ball around. Fantasy-wise you'll still have Gates IF he can stay healthy, but trying to predict which of the wide-outs will produce week in and week out will be maddening.

Good point, but first SD needs to get back to their prolific passing offense, they were pretty bad last year (for several reasons). Rivers was very inconsistent, and not at all like he had been for the prior 3-4 years. And Gates staying healthy is a HUGE IF.

1,000 yards to me is not a break out season. In a pass happy league, 1,000 should be the basement for your #1 WR. 1,300 is a breakout season and I do not se eihm putting those numbers up. 1,000 is reachable because Gates is aging, Floyd is injury prone and Brown has potential but still young. Meachem will see a ton of targets. His ability to cath those will determine if he is a 1,000 WR or a 1,300+ WR. I am going with the former. Brandon Lloyd's are rare. Personally, I see Brown eventually becoming the #1 WR there and meachem your "RUN DEEP" WR.

• 6 months later...

Norv, you're a d-bag... Not because you tried to rub Meach in our face by FINALLY giving him some scoring opportunities while playing in his old home, but because you've FINALLY given him some scoring opportunities after I've had him rotting on my dynasty squad all this time. :smash:

He actually looked pretty good with the limited touches as did Floyd, albeit against a poor & injured Saints secondary & inconsistent pass rush. Does anybody think this trend could possibly continue if the Chargers can continue to get the running game on track? I could see very similar stat lines out of maybe 4-5 more games on the schedule.

I picked up James Jones a couple weeks ago only to have him go off for 2.00 the week I needed him.

He cost me $10.

I dropped him for Leonard Hankerson who actually helped me out the week I needed him.

He cost his new owner, after going off for 2 TDs, $303.

I dropped Bernard Pierce for Robert Meachem on September 27th.

Robert Meachem went out and Blutarskied (zero point zero zero) me when I needed him.

I dropped Robert Meachem for Chaz Schillens on October 4th.

It's yet to be determined how Chaz will disappoint me.

One thing is certain, he will.