[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bountygate audio of Greg Williams

keggerz

Just curious, for those that think the Saints were punished too harsh, what do you think would have been a fair punishment. Remembering that they were told time after time, and given multiple chances to stop.

I've seen a ton of debate as to if the punishment was just or harsh, but I'm curious what Saints fans, and saints sympathizers feel would have been fair.

Really, I expected no more than 8 games for Payton and thought the other penalties were about right. I wouldn't have been as upset about it if they had just made it a 16 game suspension, but also not allowing Payton to conduct off-season/preseason activities was really a devastating blow.

I would say that rajn's in the ballpark. Really the only penalty I see as being a bit over the top is Payton's. All in all I am not as up in arms over any of this as I was when it first came down. I said from early on when the penalties where announced that I don't think it will have the crushing impact that some believe it will.

If the Saints get Brees signed here shortly they are a better team on paper now than they were last season with or without Payton on the sidelines.

And the NFL didn't come down nearly as hard on the Patriots a couple of years ago when they got busted for actually cheating.

I wasn't aware of numerous documented warnings against the Pats from Goodell, unlike there were for the the Saints. The Saints coaching and management are victims of trying to, apparently, not actually cheat? Never mind Goodell has been pretty much forthright on making players safety as much as a goal as players discipline through previous actions after camera-gate.

Payton isn't a "Saint," this was likely part comeuppance for his checkered past. Once again, the Saints were specifically repeatedly warned before the hammer fell. I'd bet all the other NFL coaching staffs with warnings have heard the message.

He befriended a two-time felon and let him have a heavy influence on his business, all the while getting implicated in a drug stealing scandal. Where I'm from, that's not acting as a stand-up pillar of the community. Past lack of discretion typically matters when punishment is doled out. Especially after you've been caught red-handed lying after multiple warnings.

Serious violations turned into a scandal due to trying to BS one's way out of it. The attempted cover-up had probably had as much to do with it as the crime.

Wasn't Payton's felon buddy involved in bountygate? Yup, that's checkered.

He befriended a two-time felon and let him have a heavy influence on his business, all the while getting implicated in a drug stealing scandal. Where I'm from, that's not acting as a stand-up pillar of the community. Past lack of discretion typically matters when punishment is doled out. Especially after you've been caught red-handed lying after multiple warnings.

Serious violations turned into a scandal due to trying to BS one's way out of it. The attempted cover-up had probably had as much to do with it as the crime.

Wasn't Payton's felon buddy involved in bountygate? Yup, that's checkered.

Orenstien isn't just Payton's buddy, he has dealings and influence with with a lot of NFL front offices & Payton wasn't implicated in the pain med scandal. Joe Vitt was supposedly the one taking the pills & Mickey Loomis was supposedly the one who attempted to cover it up according to Santini's allegations

So it sounds like a full regular season suspension would be ok with some who think its not too harsh.

What about pay, do you think he should be paid? (I'm assuming that coaches contracts are not like players, their base pay is spread out over more than just the 16 game season, with a monthly salary roughly equal to 1/12 of the yearly salary ($6 million in Payton's case).

Personally I'm sure the loss of pay hurts, but I highly doubt he's in line at the local food bank or in need of any other sort of welfare. (Surely coaches don't piss away their millions like many players do.)

Anybody who might have thought Pamphilon released this tape for the "right reasons," this should successfully squash that idea.

The NFL reportedly is trying to secure a copy of the tapes, which became public April 4 when Pamphilon released them. Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports used Twitter on Sunday to reveal that Pamphilon claimed he had been contacted four times on Friday by NFL security officials in an effort to acquire the tapes.

A league source said it would be protocol for NFL security to attempt to possess the tapes for forensic purposes to determine authenticity and to ascertain whether any additional information is available and to add to its investigative record. The source said the NFL was already aware of Williams' speech that occurred on the eve of the 49ers-Saints game but conceded it was unaware of Pamphilon's tape until it became public. The source did not divulge how the league attained its information related to the speech.

Furthermore, the source said, Williams already had been questioned about the speech before the public airing of the tape and eventually acknowledged to league investigators that his pregame rhetoric mentioned specific targets for injury.

Pamphilon, according to Silver, wants Goodell to "answer real questions" apparently before he considers handing over the tapes. Pamphilon also expects the tapes to be subpoenaed, according to Silver.

A league source said Pamphilon has made several rejected requests even prior to releasing the tapes to interview Goodell for a documentary. The commissioner will not conduct an interview as a condition for the league securing the tapes, the source added.

Also from the article... I suspect that this will be the biggest arguing point from the NFLPA perspective:

The internal NFLPA discussions related to the Williams tapes have focused on the potential argument that Saints players ignored Williams exhortation to target such 49ers as quarterback Alex Smith, tight end Vernon Davis and wide receivers Michael Crabtree and Kyle Williams for specific injuries. A union source said that a review of the Saints-49ers game tape from Jan. 14 does not show Saints defenders targeting the injuries that Williams had suggested the previous night when Pamphilon was in the team's meeting taping the defensive coordinator's inflammatory speech.

It's also interesting that the NFL has not yet released any evidence of the bounty system to the NFLPA. What exactly are they waiting for? :shrug:

Personally I'm sure the loss of pay hurts, but I highly doubt he's in line at the local food bank or in need of any other sort of welfare. (Surely coaches don't piss away their millions like many players do.)

Unless they're a pill head... :)

Anybody who might have thought Pamphilon released this tape for the "right reasons," this should successfully squash that idea. Also from the article... I suspect that this will be the biggest arguing point from the NFLPA perspective: It's also interesting that the NFL has not yet released any evidence of the bounty system to the NFLPA. What exactly are they waiting for? :shrug:

yet another instance of rajn "not defending" the saints :rolleyes:

seems like the self-interested thing to do, if he's wanting to milk it so he can make a documentary and whatnot, would have been to hold on to the tapes as long as possible. the moment they're public, he loses whatever bargaining chip he may have thought he had. :shrug:

also nice to see that the saints have learned so much through all of this, and are so thoroughly disgusted at what these "rogue" defensive coaches were doing behind Payton's and Benson's backs, that they are promoting one of those rogues to be the interim head coach (after he serves out his suspension, of course).

yet another instance of rajn "not defending" the saints :rolleyes:

Please tell me in your infinite wisdom how what I said was defending the Saints. :rolleyes:

seems like the self-interested thing to do, if he's wanting to milk it so he can make a documentary and whatnot, would have been to hold on to the tapes as long as possible. the moment they're public, he loses whatever bargaining chip he may have thought he had. :shrug:

The NFL is asking him to release the full video tape to them rather than the 3 min audio, he's refusing to do so unless Goodell grants him an interview for his documentary.

also nice to see that the saints have learned so much through all of this, and are so thoroughly disgusted at what these "rogue" defensive coaches were doing behind Payton's and Benson's backs, that they are promoting one of those rogues to be the interim head coach (after he serves out his suspension, of course).

Greg Williams was the "rogue" coach and what else do you expect them to do?

You're better than this Az, at least get your stinky bait straight before you come fishing.

Katherine McPhee, anyone, anyone? Any good google pics of her? Oh, hell, I'll search it myself...

ETA: Update... As best I can tell she hasn't gotten nekkid yet. :kicksrock:

Edited by SEC=UGA

:shrug: She is every time I look at her :brow:

Can you get some pics out of your head and post them here? After you IDed here I looked her up. Looking at that picture she reminded me of a young Jaclyn Smith. Like the second picture on this page http://www.bartcop.com/smith.htm

Now back to the never ending debate ...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828907b0/article/steve-smith-saints-player-admitted-he-targeted-me?module=HP11_headline_stack

It is obviously a lie because Steve Smith can't be trusted since he plays for a division rival. This really has Goodell writen all over it. Or Keyser Söze!