[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Crisis in Greece

Savage Beatings

Even on the brink of complete disaster, the Greek citizens refuse to acknowledge reality by supporting fringe political parties that are promising an end to austerity. :lol:

It's fascinating to watch an entire nation vote for it's own demise. I wonder if my own nation will be just as immature.

Even on the brink of complete disaster, the Greek citizens refuse to acknowledge reality by supporting fringe political parties that are promising an end to austerity. :lol:

It's fascinating to watch an entire nation vote for it's own demise. I wonder if my own nation will be just as immature.

Well, we'd never elect any politician who would truly do something about the national debt. Because that's gonna require the kind of severe cuts nobody wants. Maybe if we ignore the problem it will go away. :shrug:

Well, we'd never elect any politician who would truly do something about the national debt. Because that's gonna require the kind of severe cuts nobody wants. Maybe if we ignore the problem it will go away. :shrug:

we could vote Ron Paul in but congress would still prevent him from accomplishing what needs to be done...

we would have a horrible 4 years, but the next president would look awfully shiny when the recovery begins some time under his term....

The issue isn't austerity, the issue is the rate of austerity. Germany has hopelessly f***ed this whole thing up by trying to fix the issue too quickly and has basically created a revolt. No-one denies Greece and the rest of the vacation resorts masquerading as countries need to reform, it's just that this can't be fixed in two weeks.

It's similar to our own debt / deficit issues, especially with the entitlements - fixing the problems can be done but it can be done over decades, not by completely squelching growth, which is what the austerity level in Europe has done.

The issue isn't austerity, the issue is the rate of austerity. Germany has hopelessly f***ed this whole thing up by trying to fix the issue too quickly and has basically created a revolt. No-one denies Greece and the rest of the vacation resorts masquerading as countries need to reform, it's just that this can't be fixed in two weeks.

It's similar to our own debt / deficit issues, especially with the entitlements - fixing the problems can be done but it can be done over decades, not by completely squelching growth, which is what the austerity level in Europe has done.

Germany is the only country in europe that isn't in trouble right now...everywhere else is extremely shakey

As Ursa touched on, in Greece ATM voting for austerity would mean killing your own family, voting against it means killing your country. Either way you're voting for chaos.

Pretty decent analysis here.

Germany is the only country in europe that isn't in trouble right now...everywhere else is extremely shakey

Arguably, Germany is shaky because they are the only one not shaky and they are all tied together via the Euro.

While I agree, it is said they are trying to detatch themselves from the euro...allegedly

If they do, the Euro is dead and their currency will soar like a hydrogen balloon, destroying the basis for their prosperity, which is exports.

Basically forming the Euro currency was a CHIPS AHOY! idea

As long as it is just economic and not political / fiscal, it's a crap idea. The only way this could really work is via political unity, or federation. Without that, the mismatch between the north of Europe and the south is just far too great to work.

FWIW, literally everyone knew the Greeks were lying through their teeth when they "met" the terms of entry. They basically presented false books and the leaders of the Eurozone just winked at it because they wanted the Zone to grow above all else.

If they do, the Euro is dead and their currency will soar like a hydrogen balloon, destroying the basis for their prosperity, which is exports.

That and from what I've read, there is no language in the agreement forming the EuroZone that even permits withdrawal (by German) or even expulsion (for Greece). I haven't read the agreement to know if that is true or not,but I have read that in at least 3 different publications.