[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you bought your car or truck from a dealership . . .

Furd

When I was selling I left the stuff on because it was advertising for me. Otherwise, I've always made the dealership remove it all at cleanup. There was a dealership in ATL a while back that gave you a free year of oil changes if you left the stuff on.

If you think about it (and I don't know why I do) its kind of remarkable. What else do you own that carries an advertisement for the place at which you bought it? Would you leave a Best Buy magnet on your referigerator? What about a plaque on your home with the name of your realtor?

I predominantly remove the dealer bracket from our cars because I think that it looks like sh*t. But I can't think of a good reason to pimp Joe Blow Motors either.

Another thing I've never understood is why so many dealers have intentionally corny and ridiculous ads. A car is the second most expensive purchase I'll make, so some idiot in a chicken costume does not fill me with confidence that I'm dealing with a reputable dealer. It just seems to reinforce the stereotype that car dealers are shady.

Another thing I've never understood is why so many dealers have intentionally corny and ridiculous ads. A car is the second most expensive purchase I'll make, so some idiot in a chicken costume does not fill me with confidence that I'm dealing with a reputable dealer. It just seems to reinforce the stereotype that car dealers are shady.

One of my favorites from childhood in LA was Cal Worthington (and his dog spot), Go see Cal Go see Cal Go see Cal !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Worthington

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Worthington#.22My_Dog_Spot.22_ads

I've bought two brand new vehicles from dealerships. Both Chevy trucks. Niether had the bracket around the license plate but both had the name of the dealer applied near the bottom of the tailgate. The salesman on the first one was a buddy from high school and he gave me a pretty nice deal on the truck. So I just left it as a little ad for his dealership. He now sells luxury imports so my current truck came from a different dealership. I found them easy to deal with and they wash my truck for free any time I want to stop in. So I have just left their logo on as well. Its pretty subtle so it doesnt really bother me nor detract from the look of the vehicle, IMO, or I'd probably have them take it off.

I agree about people walking around like they're billboards, especially the Abercrombie or Gap brigade but I think you have a bad analogy here. Basically, with clothing the logo is a major part of the product, the same for everyone and not removable. Further, anyone choosing a piece of clothing that advertises the maker / vendor is making a conscious decision to do so knowing that it is unalterable later.

With a car, it's specific to the dealer, is extremely minor and definitely is immediately removable / optional, so having it removed is fine.

I tend to avoid clothes with logos of any consequence. Athletic shoes, obviously are impossible to avoid, same with workout clothes. Then again, I give two craps about what my shirt says on it while I'm working out. But I specifically buy brands of polo and dress shirts that don't have logos on the breast. Not that I have some hang-up about providing free advertizing, rather, I just think it looks stupid.