[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you bought your car or truck from a dealership . . .

Furd

how much is it paying you for the advertising space around your license plate?

It appears to me that most people keep the license plate bracket that comes with the vehicle, which invariably trumpets the name of the dealership. Years of free advertising for the dealership from those who don't mind displaying the little billboard on their rides.

It should be worth something, shouldn't it?

I've thought this for years. Do those rear windshield stickers still get put in sometimes? Years ago, a person I know demanded it be removed or he'd bill the dealer for advertising. It was removed, though it was a SOB to get off. Dealer wasn't happy but better that than lose the sale.

how much is it paying you for the advertising space around your license plate?

It appears to me that most people keep the license plate bracket that comes with the vehicle, which invariably trumpets the name of the dealership. Years of free advertising for the dealership from those who don't mind displaying the little billboard on their rides.

It should be worth something, shouldn't it?

I actually have always made them not only take the license plate bracket off but also the name plate they stick on your car...and I straight up tell them they aren't paying me to advertise for them.

I've thought this for years. Do those rear windshield stickers still get put in sometimes? Years ago, a person I know demanded it be removed or he'd bill the dealer for advertising. It was removed, though it was a SOB to get off. Dealer wasn't happy but better that than lose the sale.

have never seen the windshield sticker thing that you describe...but i would make them take that off too. Edited by keggerz

I actually have always made them not only take the license plate bracket off but also the name plate they stick on your car...and I straight up tell them they aren't paying me to advertise for them.

This, except I never had to give them grief about it, as they have never given me any crap.

never had any grief either

Nod. Actually I have allowed (probably forgot) them to put on the plate frames, only to swap them out for something nicer within the first week.

Question:

From the 50's (maybe earlier) thru the 70's some dealerships actually had chrome plated "pot metal" ones that they drilled holes for and they started to oxidize and rust the car's finish faster than any other part of the car. My first NEW car was a 1973 Nova and that was the first place it rusted (~1976). Anyone still see those anymore?

• Like 1

Nod. Actually I have allowed (probably forgot) them to put on the plate frames, only to swap them out for something nicer within the first week.

Question:

From the 50's (maybe earlier) thru the 70's some dealerships actually had chrome plated "pot metal" ones that they drilled holes for and they started to oxidize and rust the car's finish faster than any other part of the car. My first NEW car was a 1973 Nova and that was the first place it rusted (~1976). Anyone still see those anymore?

those are before my driving/car purchasing time...I know that they progressed to a "metal/plastic" whatever it was that was put on with an adhesive...now I think it is mainly stickers or vinyl lettering...

on a similar but slightly different note I also hated pin stripping, not sure if they do it like they used to years ago but I would make them bring in a car without it or remove it...looked like an easy profit center for the dealerships.

Edited by keggerz

those are before my driving/car purchasing time...I know that they progressed to a "metal/plastic" whatever it was that was put on with an adhesive...now I think it is mainly stickers or vinyl lettering...

on a similar but slightly different note I also hated pin stripping, not sure if they do it like they used to years ago but I would make them bring in a car without it or remove it...looked like an easy profit center for the dealerships.

I like the pin striping. :bag:

On my last vehicle, it came with the door edge guards...guaranteed for life. :rolleyes: It wasn't too outrageous and looked decent. :shrug: But I stonewalled them on the extended warranty and the extended maintenance! :helmet::lol:

I like the pin striping. :bag:

On my last vehicle, it came with the door edge guards...guaranteed for life. :rolleyes: It wasn't too outrageous and looked decent. :shrug: But I stonewalled them on the extended warranty and the extended maintenance! :helmet::lol:

I forgot all about that built in money maker for them

Question:

I had a 73 nova when I was in high school. I don't think it's been that long since there were metal plates.

A dealer had to replace the Toyota emblem on my daughter's car and the put it on upside down the first try.

I'll keep the license plate thingy on if they did a good job on the sale. Basically if they didn't start to hassle me about financing through them, extended warranties, etc...

PUDDY: (While punching up numbers on a calculator) That chick’s whacked. We’re history. (Back to the transaction) I just left out a couple of things:

rust-proofing..

JERRY: "Rust-proofing"?

PUDDY: (Reading off what he’s adding up on the calculator) Transport charge, storage surcharge, additional overcharge, finder’s fee

JERRY: "Finder’s fee"? It was on the lot!

PUDDY: Yeah, that’s right. (Continues reading off) Floor mats, keys..

JERRY: ‘Keys"?!

PUDDY: How ya gonna start it?

They don't owe you anything for advertising, if you don't want it there remove it, or ask the dealer to remove it.

How much is Starter, crappy shoes from spammers, Adidas or other brands pay you for advertising their product when you buy it?

I've usually left these on, the plate looks better with a frame, and I'm not inclined to spend more $$ just to put on something else.

They don't owe you anything for advertising, if you don't want it there remove it, or ask the dealer to remove it.

How much is Starter, crappy shoes from spammers, Adidas or other brands pay you for advertising their product when you buy it?

I've usually left these on, the plate looks better with a frame, and I'm not inclined to spend more $$ just to put on something else.

I agree about people walking around like they're billboards, especially the Abercrombie or Gap brigade but I think you have a bad analogy here. Basically, with clothing the logo is a major part of the product, the same for everyone and not removable. Further, anyone choosing a piece of clothing that advertises the maker / vendor is making a conscious decision to do so knowing that it is unalterable later.

With a car, it's specific to the dealer, is extremely minor and definitely is immediately removable / optional, so having it removed is fine.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I agree about people walking around like they're billboards, especially the Abercrombie or Gap brigade but I think you have a bad analogy here. Basically, with clothing the logo is a major part of the product, the same for everyone and not removable. Further, anyone choosing a piece of clothing that advertises the maker / vendor is making a conscious decision to do so knowing that it is unalterable later.

With a car, it's specific to the dealer, is extremely minor and definitely is immediately removable / optional, so having it removed is fine.

Agree on clothing although for many items the logo isn't a major part of the garment, but its still there, and not easily removed.

I just don't see the plates as a big deal, but have heard this "what are they paying you for the free advertising" thing before. The answer is nothing, remove the frame or ask the dealer to remove it.

Agree on clothing although for many items the logo isn't a major part of the garment, but its still there, and not easily removed.

I just don't see the plates as a big deal, but have heard this "what are they paying you for the free advertising" thing before. The answer is nothing, remove the frame or ask the dealer to remove it.

for your clothing analogy to work, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Joe's T-Shirt Shack, etc would be adding their name/logo to the N1KE, Polo, Reebok stuff you buy...your car is already branded, just like those clothing items

Edited by keggerz

If you think about it (and I don't know why I do) its kind of remarkable. What else do you own that carries an advertisement for the place at which you bought it? Would you leave a Best Buy magnet on your referigerator? What about a plaque on your home with the name of your realtor?

I predominantly remove the dealer bracket from our cars because I think that it looks like sh*t. But I can't think of a good reason to pimp Joe Blow Motors either.

If you think about it (and I don't know why I do) its kind of remarkable. What else do you own that carries an advertisement for the place at which you bought it? Would you leave a Best Buy magnet on your referigerator? What about a plaque on your home with the name of your realtor?

I predominantly remove the dealer bracket from our cars because I think that it looks like sh*t. But I can't think of a good reason to pimp Joe Blow Motors either.

yep