[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As expected Brandon Weeden named Browns' starting QB...

irish

I don't have a link but read it on the Bleacher report.

"I busted my tail for 10 practices now and put in a lot of work," Weeden said.

It's been a tough road and he's reached the light at the end of the tunnel. Deserving. LoL!

named the starter for the first preseason game, anyways.

Where you reading that? Or just your interpretation?

According to 2 articles I've read, Shurmur is quotes as saying

“Brandon is the starter, and we’re moving forward,”

nothing about "for the first preseason game" or "we'll reevaulate it later" or anything at all to indicate it isn't for the whole season.

Where are you on the Weeden/McCoy controversy, Loaf (or other Browns fans)? It was my impression that McCoy performed pretty well last year given that he was thrown into the fire as a rookie the year before and didn't have a very good rushing attack or talented receivers to support him last year.

Do you guys welcome another rookie starting at QB again, or would you rather see the (now) vet start, or at least be given a legit chance to compete?

Edited for clarification

Edited by Bronco Billy

BB,

I don't like starting over all the time, we've been doing that at many positions including coach/front office too often for a 15 year old franchise. But I think McCoy is just not the answer at QB. He could do ok, but I don't think he's got it and could produce at a high level long term. Haven't seen enough of Weeden (don't watch much college football) to make a decision. The only thing that bothers me is his age, and the chance that by the time he learns, and the Browns build a good offense around him, he'll be getting old. (Plus our top OL players Thomas/Mack will also be getting up there).

At this point I trust the team leadership. If McCoy is not the starter and Wallace is adequate as a backup, then let's trade him for something before it creates more issues in the locker room. (He seems to think he was screwed, not given a chance, no first team reps, etc.)

Thanks steve. If you and the other Browns fan are convinced McCoy can't appreciably progress, then a QB change would make sense and be tolerable.

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on Weeden's age. Given how long QBs are playing these days, he could still give CLE a good 5/7 years of prime time play if he can negotiate his learning curve quickly.

Thanks steve. If you and the other Browns fan are convinced McCoy can't appreciably progress, then a QB change would make sense and be tolerable.

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on Weeden's age. Given how long QBs are playing these days, he could still give CLE a good 5/7 years of prime time play if he can negotiate his learning curve quickly.

Well Browns fans like those of any team are rarely unified. Heck a few years ago many fans were screaming for Brady Quinn to start. You remember him, the golden boy from ND who fell like a rock in the draft.

I think most fans just want to improve, have some consistency from the roster/coaches/front office for a while so we can grow. I think some fear that a new owner means mroe shake ups, more change. I'm already seeing "Will they get rid of Shurmur, Heckert, Holmgren?" discussions. Of course some fans think 1 or more of those guys are horrible and should be replaced.

Look at most successful teams, they do not have constant turnover of their roster and coach/GM. We need to learn from that, and allow a group of people to make a long term effort to improve the team.

From all reports, Colt did not start with the 1st teamers at all so far this camp. The writing was on the wall for him when they drafted Weeden. Stronger arm. I'm just hoping we're not seeing another Derek Anderson. Have heard that the decision making and reads are progressing for Weeden though.

McCoy may have been limited by his poor offensive line, lack of any receivers, and overall low talent level offensively. I'm not sure one can fault him totally, but there is a reason the Browns drafted Weeden, and last I checked, Holmgren has a pretty decent history when it comes to evaluating QB talent. Whether it's McCoy, Weeden, or whoever, I just hope the new owner keeps Holmgren and the rest of his staff in place. Given time, they will bring the Browns back to respectability and more.

I'm personally hoping to see improvement from the Browns offense. Maybe Greg Little breaks out this year.