[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MJD to be traded?

Chloroform Rx

I think we're starting to see MJD flinching first. My gut feeling is that he'll be in camp within the week.

He's got 4 million reasons to give in. It certainly isn't commensurate with his ability, but it ain't exactly chump change either.

Edited by Bronco Billy

MJD won't be traded unless some team is willing to give high draft choices and then pay MJD what he wants, for a 29 year old RB with 2 years left on his contract- doubt that will happen. He and/or his agent gambled and lost. He's not going to get more money so if he wants to play and get paid he needs to report- his choice. The fans here love MJD, but they are not taking his side right now- he's under contract and most feel he needs to be in camp. And, they are NOT moving anywhere. There are other franchises in worse shape than the Jax. People outside this area have no clue about things here, it just cracks me up to hear all the rumors from all these people..

I think I heard on Sirius they are not fining him yet. It was Toomer I think that mentioned "they might start now".

I heard he had over $400,000 in fines piled up already.

I heard he had over $400,000 in fines piled up already.

I've seen a lot of reporting using big numbers, but they all use words like "potentially" or "up to" - I have yet to see anything definitive. I might have missed it of course, I'm not following it very closely. ESPN put the number at $870k but it's also hypothetical from them as well.

MJD has spoken......Sounds positive (i think)

Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, JAC

News: Speaking on a video teleconference provided by Oovoo.com and DirecTV on Wednesday, Maurice Jones-Drew said he believes "things are going to work out and everything's going to be good" regarding his short-term future. Jones-Drew is mired in a holdout with the Jaguars and there are conflicting reports on when he'll rejoin the team. Responding to a question posed by CBSSports.com, Jones-Drew's advice for Fantasy owners interested in drafting him was pretty cut and dried. "A lot of people were scared last year with me coming off the knee injury but that obviously panned out well," MJD said. "So if you're scared to draft than be scared, that's your choice. I understand that when it's time to play, it's time to play. So it's up to you, you have to do what you want and we'll see how it pans out from there."

The fine is up to almost 900k right now, but that number will be negotiated when/if he decides to return. Who can really say what they will or won't make him pay. His choices are really pretty simple: return and play under his current contract or continue to hold out and not get paid as it is highly unlikely anyone will pony up what it would take for Jax to let him go, which they don't want to do anyway. Personally, I think he'll return fairly soon and I think the fines will be taken care of so as not to be an issue.

Fine the hell out of him ! He's getting paid well. There's always going to be someone that is getting paid more. He has a current paycheck waiting for him and he made a choice not to show up. I love to watch professional sports but these salaries are getting out of control. I would like to take my kids and grandchildren to games without going broke.

Fine the hell out of him ! He's getting paid well. There's always going to be someone that is getting paid more. He has a current paycheck waiting for him and he made a choice not to show up. I love to watch professional sports but these salaries are getting out of control. I would like to take my kids and grandchildren to games without going broke.

Then you should blame the owners who have created these salaries, not the players who receive them. Whethera player is right or wrong for holding out is judgemental and it's his choice. And I guess you have no problems with teams cutting players who are under contract either, as the players don't get anything if their contracts aren't guaranteed.

Then you should blame the owners who have created these salaries, not the players who receive them. Whethera player is right or wrong for holding out is judgemental and it's his choice. And I guess you have no problems with teams cutting players who are under contract either, as the players don't get anything if their contracts aren't guaranteed.

I knew somebody would bring up the teams can cut the player part. Here is the problem as I see it

Player signs a contract like this (just throwing numbers out there, have no idea about MJD current contract, but the key is the heavily front loaded part with big signing bonus)

12 million bonus

2 million in 1st year

2.5 million in 2nd year

3 million in 3rd & 4th year

After the first couple years player feels like they're underpaid at $3 million a year, because some other guy is making more and they're a key part of the team. But here's the thing that $12 million bonus, much like a portion counts against the salary cap each year, should be considered to be spread out over the course of their contract. So that is another $3 million per year, meaning they're really making $6 million per year. And nobody can take away that bonus, and if the player is cut they're actually making more per year of their contract from the bonus. (If they're cut in this case after year 2 they really made $8 and 10.5 million those 2 years.)

Players sign a contract and need to continue to perform at a high level to earn their roster spot and pay each year. They got their big fat bonus up front, and are not (in most cases) being underpaid or under valued just because another player came along a couple years after their contract and got a bigger paycheck (which is probably not that much bigger if you average out the whole pay over the contract life).

The big signing bonus is their gauranteed part, protecting them somewhat from lost earnings later if they are cut.

If they want fully gauranteed contracts I'd excpect those huge signing bonuses to disappear or be much smaller (like 1-10% of their current size). Its all driven by agents, telling their players "they're disprespecting you, you should be paid top X money like so-and-so". Of course that way the agent gets another slice of a big fat contract.

I knew somebody would bring up the teams can cut the player part. Here is the problem as I see it

Player signs a contract like this (just throwing numbers out there, have no idea about MJD current contract, but the key is the heavily front loaded part with big signing bonus)

12 million bonus

2 million in 1st year

2.5 million in 2nd year

3 million in 3rd & 4th year

After the first couple years player feels like they're underpaid at $3 million a year, because some other guy is making more and they're a key part of the team. But here's the thing that $12 million bonus, much like a portion counts against the salary cap each year, should be considered to be spread out over the course of their contract. So that is another $3 million per year, meaning they're really making $6 million per year. And nobody can take away that bonus, and if the player is cut they're actually making more per year of their contract from the bonus. (If they're cut in this case after year 2 they really made $8 and 10.5 million those 2 years.)

Players sign a contract and need to continue to perform at a high level to earn their roster spot and pay each year. They got their big fat bonus up front, and are not (in most cases) being underpaid or under valued just because another player came along a couple years after their contract and got a bigger paycheck (which is probably not that much bigger if you average out the whole pay over the contract life).

The big signing bonus is their gauranteed part, protecting them somewhat from lost earnings later if they are cut.

If they want fully gauranteed contracts I'd excpect those huge signing bonuses to disappear or be much smaller (like 1-10% of their current size). Its all driven by agents, telling their players "they're disprespecting you, you should be paid top X money like so-and-so". Of course that way the agent gets another slice of a big fat contract.

Actually, I wasn't debating cutting players under contract. I'm well aware of front and back ended contracts as it's been beaten to death on these sites as well as by the media. I referenced that more as sarcasm about his statement than as the reason behind it.

Actually, I wasn't debating cutting players under contract. I'm well aware of front and back ended contracts as it's been beaten to death on these sites as well as by the media. I referenced that more as sarcasm about his statement than as the reason behind it.

Sorry, saw no indication of sarcasm, just took your post at face value. Haven't seen you post here before, so wasn't sure if you're familiar with the whole contract thing.

Point still remains, MJD and many others who hold out simply because "somebody else is being paid more, and I'm worth it" have no leverage and will lose (especially under the new CBA). Can debate if they're right or wrong, if owners screw them etc.

PS Nice avatar.

Um, the owners created the salaries because we pay for them. It's called capitalism, and it's no one's fault. We give these guys $9 billion a year, and we won't continue to if the product sucks. Of course the owners are going to pay the hell out of them.

I'm with the owners on this one ... MJD signed a fat contract that he was very happy with several years ago. I just don't follow the logic that says that since other players are NOW getting paid more money AND I had a good season last year that it follows that NOW I get a do-over on my contract for more money. If a player wants an option to re-do his contract every year then he shouldn't sign anything more than a 1 year contract.

And the big signing bonus up front is insurance on being cut before the contract is over ... again no sympathy for the player on my part.

I think JAX should stick to their guns AND enforce the fines even if MJD returns to camp.

• Like 2

And I guess you have no problems with teams cutting players who are under contract either, as the players don't get anything if their contracts aren't guaranteed.

Aw crap, another person who doesn't understand player contracts at all but speaks with expertise.

You know, while yesterday's news may be better than it seemed on Wednesday, I'm still quite concerned. Who knows if Jax has any intention at all of extending him? They've ridden him hard, so he's exactly the type of back that is likely to nose-dive when he hits 30.

This is not Fred Jackson who got spot duty his first 5 years. This is s dude has gotten 300+ carries for the last 3 years and I can't imagine that slowing down for the next two, especially if they open up the check book.

I would say he's got exactly a two year window of being worth the big bucks and then plummets from there in terms of how effective he can be.

Hell, he freaking knows this, which is why he's doing what he's doing. He knows that nobody is paying him jack in 2 years regardless of how well he plays.

If I'm Jax, there's no freaking way I do this. There is no long term deal that is anywhere near what I'm assuming MJD wants that I'd sign on for.

And, anyone who has read anything I've written here knows that I'm not really an owner-side guy.