[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MJD to be traded?

Chloroform Rx

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Maurice Jones-Drew is now "open to being traded" in light of owner Shad Khan's recent suggestion that the "train is leaving the station."

"Run, get on it," Khan added as advice for Jones-Drew. If the star tailback was thinking about returning soon, as teammates reportedly believed, Khan's comments had the opposite effect. Jones-Drew is once again entrenched. Per Schefter, the holdout "shows no signs of letting up and is fully expected to extend into the regular season." If the front office accepts Jones-Drew's trade invitation, former Jags coordinator Dirk Koetter's team in Atlanta is one to watch. GM Thomas Dimitroff isn't afraid to make bold moves, and a declining Michael Turner is a poor fit for Koetter's fast-paced offense. Aug 21 - 6:20 PM

Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3596/maurice-jones-drew

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/238036145718579200

Man, the few fans that are still there are all going to take MJD's side and it is going to be UGLY if he leaves. I'm on board with MJD as a good pick after Foster, Rice, McCoy, Rodgers, and Calvin Johnson easy if he goes to a good situation

I don't think there's a snowball's chance he gets traded, but can you imagine the Lions, Packers, or Steelers with MJD? Good God...

Yeah just saw this:

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3596/maurice-jones-drew

And with that news I see this as an ugly, bitter ego-filled dispute that will last way too long, MJD will come back and be ineffective. Jennings stock should skyrocket now...

I don't think there's a snowball's chance he gets traded, but can you imagine the Lions, Packers, or Steelers with MJD? Good God...

As a Packer fan I sure could. I can't imagine how they would pay him, but I would love to see i if the salary cap were nt a consideration.

This sure doesn't feel like it's going to get resolved anytimg soon. Even if MoJo reports in time for week one, will he be effective? Will he be rusty? Will he be in shape? I feel confident that if he reports, he won't pull a DeSean Jackson and play half-assed. If the dude did what he did for last year's abysmal offense, I'll never question his heart.

MJD is a workout warrior, his lower body training is legendary, and he's missed/sat out prior preseasons with no ill effect. But will he be a little rusty? Sure. I'm actually very interested to see how this will effect his ADP. Because of his knee last year I was able to get him at 2.8 in a 10 team league.

Serious game of chicken being played here, and the impression I get from Khan is that he has no intention of blinking first.

MJD has some things to consider here. He has a limited number of bankable years. Is he really willing to surrender one? Khan obviously thinks not.

Also, from a FF perspective I am no fan of running backs who have extended holdouts. They just seem to have rough seasons and a proclivity for injuries.

I don't see how this ends well for MJD. I definitely don't see Khan bucckling to even make a trade, unless the exchange were to be tipped outrageously in his favor. What other NFL team is going to make that kind of offer AND pay MJD enough to keep him happy? Not seeing it.

He's going to have to drop a long ways before I consider taking him in a FF draft. Someone like White Lightning will scoop him up well before I'd consider it.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Denver

Wait, they're going to pay Manning $19M a year and then also pay MJD +/- $9M a year? Plus give up some premier draft choices?

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with that strategy?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Wait, they're going to pay Manning $19M a year and then also pay MJD +/- $9M a year? Plus give up some premier draft choices?

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with that strategy?

It was meant as a joke. I don't think they will but Denver is clearly in win now mode as they went crazy with Manning (IMO), and they don't use their draft picks well anyway, so why not include Denver on the list of teams that you expect to do something crazy in general?

Edited by Papajohn
  • Like 1

It was meant as a joke. I don't think they will but Denver is clearly in win now mode as they went crazy with Manning (IMO), and they don't use their draft picks well anyway, so why not include Denver on the list of teams that you expect to do something crazy to get MJD?

Ah, missed the joke part GB.

If DEN is in win-now mode, they sure as hell forgot that during the $ost recent draft.

I'm not sure what to think of the front office now. I was excited after their first draft, but have been making what can be kindly described as seriously head scratching decisions ever since.

Jones-Drew is 27 years old, has 6 years in the league, and has been heavily used the last three years. I would worry about his longevity. Were I a GM I would not tie myself to him beyond the next year or two. I doubt he or his agent would be looking for a two year deal.

Yep. Sucks for him but he picked the wrong position to play if he truly expects a big, multi-year contract at this point. And it's no wonder why he's holding out now as opposed to just playing it out, because at least now, whomever signs him gets a few years out of him before he turns 30.

But they all know the score, and nobody can afford "thank you" contracts, at least not for someone who plays a position that typically sees such a dramatic drop-off at 30. QB? WR? Sure. There's no shortage of guys who have stayed very productive past 30.

I think we're starting to see MJD flinching first. My gut feeling is that he'll be in camp within the week.