[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tamme Td

CrimsonGhost

When his rear hit the ground he had full control of the ball ... then his back hit the ground and the ball came out ... looked like a TD to me ...

Agreed. He had possession of the ball, crossed the stripe and a part of his body (ass) made contact with the ground and he remained in possession of the ball through that first down contact = Touchdown.

Not true. Tron's ass hit the ground before he lost control of the ball. Youtube it. Rule is not consistent IMO.

Yes ... you are correct ... additionally the refs have since said that Megatron's catch should have been ruled a TD (and I agree).

BTW .. the REGULAR REFs got the Megatron call wrong ...

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 1

So he isn't required to maintain control the whole time? crap rule is crap. How is it any different then TRONS catch 2 years ago?

Difference as I saw it was that Tamme caught the ball outside the end zone, took a couple steps (made a football move which is key), crossed the end zone,went down. Ball came out when he hit.

Yes ... you are correct ... additionally the refs have since said that Megatron's catch should have been ruled a TD (and I agree).

BTW .. the REGULAR REFs got the Megatron call wrong ...

Nope, the league at the time said that according to the rule, it was called correctly.

Tamme caught the ball before he crossed the goal line. Therefore when he crossed the goal line he was a runner, not in the act of catching the ball.

Even if he had caught the ball in the end zone, he made a football move before he was tackled, making him a runner. That's the difference between the plays. Johnson was in the process of catching the ball, which requires when the receiver lands and after he hits the ground that he maintain complete control of the football.

And FWIW, Johnson cost himself on that play by making it a close call on the possesion judgment. He could have easily maintained control of that ball after landing and made the whole issue moot.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Tamme caught the ball before he crossed the goal line. Therefore when he crossed the goal line he was a runner, not in the act of catching the ball.

Even if he had caught the ball in the end zone, he made a football move before he was tackled, making him a runner. That's the difference between the plays. Johnson was in the process of catching the ball, which requires when the receiver lands and after he hits the ground that he maintain complete control of the football.

And FWIW, Johnson cost himself on that play by making it a close call on the possesion judgment. He could have easily maintained control of that ball after landing and made the whole issue moot.

Precisely, and you can bet since then that all players are more careful about that. I'm still amazed how quickly players will give up the ball on a score or first down, I just assume they hear the whistle or something before letting go.

Isn't it different when you cross the goal line compared to catching it in the endzone?

Just asking because I don't know but for some reason I have gotten that into my head.

Yes, I believe that is correct. A runner with the ball (QB, RB, WR or TE) who starts off with the ball outside of the endzone and has to run into the endzone scores the moment the very tip of the ball crosses the FRONT of the endzone line. Said player can drop ball once that happens and the TD stands.

It is different. That's where the ridiculous inconsistency lies.

That's not inconsistent. If a player catches prior to entering the endzone, then epossession has clearly been established, and you only need to cross the plane. If you catch it in the endzone, then obviously you have to establish possession. If Tamme had failed to establish possession prior to entering the endzone, then jsut the same, it wouldn't have been a catch. No inconsistency.

And BTW, Calvin did not lose the ball on that play. He simply left the ball sitting on the ground because he thought the play was over (and IMO, it should have been, because he did have possession, but I can see where it was more of a judgement call).

Edited by delusions of grandeur

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.