[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Overturn the Game?

delfamdelfam

As expected, the NFL didn't disagree with the replacement refs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066164/article/nfl-supports-decision-to-not-overturn-seahawks-touchdown?module=HP11_breaking_news

I posted it in the other thread along with some keys, like there was off PI, they could review possession and did, but there was no evidence that it wasn't dual possession (the initial ruling on the field which awarded it to the offense).

So I guess the one official signaling touchback (an interception in the end zone) was a mirage, or was convince by the other that he was wrong.

SNICKERSing pathetic

If the regular officials do return, I wonder if everyone will be up in arms when they make a major mistake. Folks may be screaming to bring the replacements back.

Some day there will be dozens of little robotic spheres zipping around the field, zooming in on every player from multiple angles, and there will no missed calls, ever. Until that day, the human element of officiating will always be with us, and there will always be errors in judgment. I think everyone pretty much accepts that, assuming the officials are well-trained, competent and consistent. For the most part, the regular crews are very good in those aspects. They do miss calls but rarely is there an issue that affects the outcome of a game, like last night. The closest one I can remember from recent memory was Calvin Johnson's non-TD catch where he didn't maintain possession after going to the ground, but that was just a bad rule that was later corrected. The scab refs have been a complete disaster. No one will want them back. I actually fear for their safety if things continue like this.

Nobody will miss the replacement refs, that is crazy talk. Sure we'll complain when refs make a bad call. But this went beyond bad calls, the inability to properly handle the flow of the game, or to administer the penalties properly. All the conferences, going to the sideline because the administrator called them over again to say they screwed up. The players and coaches pushing the envelope, etc.

One thing I was noticing is how often the replacement officials were using the term "automatic first down" when it wasn't. Seems they were substituting that play with "penalty results in a first down". We also almost never got the good explanations we got with the regular refs, most likely because they didn't understand the rules in the first place and were just guessing. This added to the problem as the coaches wanted that explanation.