[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting Running Back Tandems....

DanMTampa

12 Team League Set-Up

Schedule: We play against each team 3 times.

Matchups each week:

Week 1 – 4 Games

Week 2 – 4 Games

Week 3 – 3 Games

Week 4 – 2 Games

Week 5 – 2 Games

Week 6 – 2 Games

Week 7 – 2 Games

Week 8– 2 Games

Week 9 – 2 Games

Week 10– 2 Games

Week 11– 2 Games

Week 12– 2 Games

Week 13– 4 Games

Therefore during bye weeks it is double headers only. The weeks with full NFL slate of games there are extra match-ups.

8 teams make playoffs. (Weeks 14-16)

3 Weeks of playoffs - tournament style.

Weekly Starting Line-up:

1 Team QB

2 RBs (on same NFL team (tandem) 1 Flex RB/WR

3 Flex WR/TE

1 Kicker

1 Team DEF

Draft Set-up and Rules.

Pre-determined draft order will proceed in snake design from 1-12, then 12-1 and so on.

During the first seven rounds each team may draft one pair of RBs with a single pick. This pair (Tandem) must be on the same NFL team.

If a team elects to pick their tandem in one pick – the second RB of the pair will be the team’s 7th round pick.

During the first seven rounds each team must draft a starting line-up.

*This does not include Kickers and Team Defense.

*Kickers and Team Defense may not be drafted until round eight.

Draft will consist of 16 Rounds.

9 Starters – 7 Reserves

2 – ‘Injured Reserve’ spots are only for players listed as at least ‘doubtful’ the week of their game.

12 Team League Set-Up

Schedule: We play against each team 3 times.

Matchups each week:

Week 1 – 4 Games

Week 2 – 4 Games

Week 3 – 3 Games

Week 4 – 2 Games

Week 5 – 2 Games

Week 6 – 2 Games

Week 7 – 2 Games

Week 8– 2 Games

Week 9 – 2 Games

Week 10– 2 Games

Week 11– 2 Games

Week 12– 2 Games

Week 13– 4 Games

Therefore during bye weeks it is double headers only. The weeks with full NFL slate of games there are extra match-ups.

8 teams make playoffs. (Weeks 14-16)

3 Weeks of playoffs - tournament style.

Weekly Starting Line-up:

1 Team QB

2 RBs (on same NFL team (tandem) 1 Flex RB/WR

3 Flex WR/TE

1 Kicker

1 Team DEF

Draft Set-up and Rules.

Pre-determined draft order will proceed in snake design from 1-12, then 12-1 and so on.

During the first seven rounds each team may draft one pair of RBs with a single pick. This pair (Tandem) must be on the same NFL team.

If a team elects to pick their tandem in one pick – the second RB of the pair will be the team’s 7th round pick.

During the first seven rounds each team must draft a starting line-up.

*This does not include Kickers and Team Defense.

*Kickers and Team Defense may not be drafted until round eight.

Draft will consist of 16 Rounds.

9 Starters – 7 Reserves

2 – ‘Injured Reserve’ spots are only for players listed as at least ‘doubtful’ the week of their game.

That's exactly what I would do. Make sure you draft a tandem of guys that can produce during those weeks where you need points. Just be sure not to grab guys who you know are going on IR, as they won't be able to do anything for you. On a side note, I'd look at the following positions in the draft: QB, RB, WR, TE, K, and D. You're going to need some of those to really compete on a week to week basis.

When you submit your starting line-up, make sure you fill it. That's important. You definitely don't want to leave those spots blank when the game starts. Some of the vets around here will give you a hard time if you post a WDIS with no people there. You learn that lesson once.

Anywho, looks good. I think you're set up for a great season. Have fun, and just do your best.

• Like 4

My bad.

I was prepared to make a comment after the OP - but got side tracked with real life...

The intent of sharing the format was to just that.

I drew first pick in the draft - but selected to go third. I know the player that is picking first will likely take Adrian Foster and Ben Tate. They project to be the top Tandem. So I will get to choose from AP or Doug Martin then wait to see how many Top Ten WR are left for the next two picks unless a real good tandem like Vereen/Ridley - McCoy/Brown or Jackson/Rodgers gets over looked.

Then the next time back through I will be looking QB, Tandem or WR based on quality and the if the 1&2 holes have gone QB yet. Anywhere 1-11 for QB is fine... I just don't want the 12th if it is NYG or SF 49ers QB.

The point of the post is the variation on strategy using the tandem system opens up... there is not any cheat sheet that covers the ranks because it is so different.

BTW - the humor is appreciated!

In my opinion, Rice and Pierce are the best tandem set of backs to get, especially since the Ravens re-signed Leach.

I would put McCoy and Brown second followed by Foster and Tate.

I am tempted to consider Rice and Pierce and they do predict higher as a tandem than Martin alone.

However - since the best line-up (I feel) will have a stub RB and a tandem....

And since I expect a fairly good tandem to fall to me later in the first seven rounds...

That is why I was looking stud first.

Martin + Johnson/Greene or Martin + Jackson/Rodgers or Martin + Wilson/Brown or worst case Martin + Ball/Hillman... look more advantageous than:

Rice/Pierce + McFadden or Rice/Pierce + Gore or Rice/Pierce + Jones-Drew or Rice/Pierce + Le'Veon Bell

Now that I look at it - I might be in great shape if Jackson or Johnson fall to me after Rice/Pierce

I wouldn't discount the TEN backfield. The scariest part about CJ is the risk of Greene, and now you get to take advantage of that rather than fear it. I also like NEP a whole lot.

How is "tandem" defined - is it two players that you must specifically name, or is it more like a "team RB" thing - can you just take all of the PIT RB's for example? NEP is ever better here and might be a top 5 pick for me if so.

• 4 weeks later...

Draft for this league was Friday...

Baby Jane was right - with all the negative Foster talk the number one picker did go with AP.

Number two picker went with NEP Ridley/Vereen.

flemingd - players are players but starting line-ups must have two RB on the same team.

Based on the league set-up - I went backwards logic and drafted Calvin Johnson with the number 3 pick.

People went heavy RB much of the 1st round... 3 took the top QBs & only two others took receivers. ONe of those was Andre Johnson - the other Graham which with no mandatory TE a very foolish reach IMO.

So I felt really happy to settle for Dez Bryant - even over AJ & Marshall - either of which I would have been tempted to at 3 but they did not survive the turn.

At 3 I took The Giants RBs... then best receiver left @ 4 was Bowe.

Keep in mind we draft starting line-ups first...

So - with

CJ, Dez & Bowe @ WR

D Wilson & A Brown as my tandum...

I selected G Bernard as my Flex WR/RB followed by RG3 for a QB.

Second half of the draft I still managed to get:

Lamar Miller

Monte Ball & Hillman as a potential back-up tandem.

WRs D Tompkins & R Randle seemed like good options as back-ups with upside potential.

With a QB that with injury risk I decided to grab another QB.

I took a flier on Vick - mainly because he was there and has high upside... but he doesn't seem much like insurance unless RG3 fails to start week one.

I am sure a lot of you would love to play in this league - especially if you look at some of the picks:

Draft Board: http://www.reposites.com/cffl.pdf

flemingd - players are players but starting line-ups must have two RB on the same team.

At 3 I took The Giants RBs... then best receiver left @ 4 was Bowe.

Ok so which is it - are players players, or do you draft "Giants RB's" and they are automatically linked?

And again, how is the tandem defined? When you draft one do you declare who your second guy is, or do you automatically get all RB's from that team?

Edited by flemingd

Two RBs from the same team must be part of your starting line-up this week.

During the draft a team may select two players at the same time.

If that happens in the first 9 picks - the second in the 9th round selection.

After 9th round - it counts as the next pick.