[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is AP going to have a Barry Sanders like career?

Cowboyz1

I remember watching the morons in Detroit that had the most dynamic, explosive, elusive and perhaps the best RB of all time yet year after year continued to put dog chives around him so they never won. Now Peterson seems to be going down the same road. The one year they had a legit QB was when they had Farve and took them to the playoffs. I just don't understand how moronic you have to be as a GM to not be able to build around a ALL World RB. Missing year after year on quality QB's. I don't blame Barry for quitting like he did. You can only carry a franchise on your back for so long before dropping dead of disgust. AP deserves to get deep in the playoffs and play in prime-time. I just hate to see awesome talent wasted year after year.

The more I watch AP the more I see a frustrated runner that needs only to have the resemblance of a QB that can threaten down the field to run wild of defenses but no. I only dream of what AP could do on a team that can throw. As it stand we are left to Ponder, what could have been.

It really does bother me to see a guy run his heart out and still end up getting beat because the teams management can't seem to draft quality or keep players that can make a difference. Harvin comes to mind. It's not like the team has money tied up in Super Stars. Just don't get it.

Then again, I do kind of.

I feel for AP & have always been a Vikes fan but more than him & Sanders have been in this situation

Most recently was Ladainian Tomlinson , Eddy George , you could even throw in Shawn Alexander or Warrick Dunne or how about Clinton Portis , I'm sure there are many more highly respected RB's that had repeated Pro-Bowls but just never landed on the right team

The Vikings GM was totally in love with Christian Ponder when they drafted him. He was a sharp, mobile QB with a decent enough arm. They figured between him, AP and an excellent defense that they could be contenders for many, many seasons.

Well, we have seen how that's all panned out. Ponder has been less than average (at best), and the team has been scrambling since that mistake of a draft pick. On top of everything else, their defense hasn't been as stellar as it's been in the past. They brought back Kevin Williams, drafted a stud DT in Sharif Floyd, kept Jared Allen, paid Brian Robison and should be getting contract year play out of Everson Griffen. These guys have been average at best and they don't have a playmaking LB. Chad Greenway is solid but he's not a difference maker. And lastly, outside of Harrison Smith the defensive backfield has been garbage.

As for the OP, I see where you're leaning here but I don't know if the situations are 100% comparable.

I loved Barry Sanders, but in no life was he better than Walter Payton or Jim Brown.

Sanders played behind TWO pro bowl offensive lineman (Kevin Glover, Lomas Brown) and Payton NEVER played behind one until the 10th year of his career.

Barry was an undisciplined runner, was very inconsistent in following the holes or his blocks. He was a total liability on the goal line because with limited space he tended to go backward (NOT what you want on the goal line). He was also an average pass receiver and a poor blocker. So the meme was he had bad coaching or bad talent around him. Hogwash. A coach doesn't make it to the NFL and NOT let the "best running back in NFL history" try it from the 1 yard line. A smart coach doesn't want it to be 2nd and goal from the 6.

Lets talk passing game. While the QBs during Barry's day were not great they did have two outstanding playmakers in Herman Moore and Brett Perriman. Absolutely NOT garbage around him.

Payton from 75 to 83 epitomized having garbage around him. QBs like Bob Avelinni, Mike Phipps an Vince Evans. Receivers like Brian Bashnaegal and I don't know who else. And NO pro bowl lineman in front of him. Constantly playing against stacked fronts, taking the punishment he did, almost single-handedly making the Bears legitimate (in 77 and 79). He FINALLY got some talent in front of him by the mid 1980s and continued to roll behind a great O-Line in 84-86, but he was at the end. Had the 1977 Payton run behind the 1985 Bears offensive line he'd have had 2,500 yards rushing easily and probably 40 touchdowns, Payton was THAT good.

Barry IS and WAS a great guy, love him, but he's not close to being the best RB of all time.

Edited by kwolf68

I loved Barry Sanders, but in no life was he better than Walter Payton or Jim Brown.

Sanders played behind TWO pro bowl offensive lineman (Kevin Glover, Lomas Brown) and Payton NEVER played behind one until the 10th year of his career.

Barry was an undisciplined runner, was very inconsistent in following the holes or his blocks. He was a total liability on the goal line because with limited space he tended to go backward (NOT what you want on the goal line). He was also an average pass receiver and a poor blocker. So the meme was he had bad coaching or bad talent around him. Hogwash. A coach doesn't make it to the NFL and NOT let the "best running back in NFL history" try it from the 1 yard line. A smart coach doesn't want it to be 2nd and goal from the 6.

Lets talk passing game. While the QBs during Barry's day were not great they did have two outstanding playmakers in Herman Moore and Brett Perriman. Absolutely NOT garbage around him.

Payton from 75 to 83 epitomized having garbage around him. QBs like Bob Avelinni, Mike Phipps an Vince Evans. Receivers like Brian Bashnaegal and I don't know who else. And NO pro bowl lineman in front of him. Constantly playing against stacked fronts, taking the punishment he did, almost single-handedly making the Bears legitimate (in 77 and 79). He FINALLY got some talent in front of him by the mid 1980s and continued to roll behind a great O-Line in 84-86, but he was at the end. Had the 1977 Payton run behind the 1985 Bears offensive line he'd have had 2,500 yards rushing easily and probably 40 touchdowns, Payton was THAT good.

Barry IS and WAS a great guy, love him, but he's not close to being the best RB of all time.

Thanks for the extremely long rant that really has nothing to do with discussion. The question wasn't "was Barry Sanders the best RB ever",

I feel for AP & have always been a Vikes fan but more than him & Sanders have been in this situation

Most recently was Ladainian Tomlinson , Eddy George , you could even throw in Shawn Alexander or Warrick Dunne or how about Clinton Portis , I'm sure there are many more highly respected RB's that had repeated Pro-Bowls but just never landed on the right team

Yeah, as mentioned above, Walter Payton had a pretty long slog with nothing around him, too.

It's a QB league - has been since arguably the 80s; the only capital-G Great RBs to carry their team to a title over the last 30 yrs were Emmitt Smith and Terrell Davis (John Riggins just misses the deadline with his '82 season) - and they had pretty good OLs, QBs, and WRs complementing them.

I wouldn't put Tomlinson in that group. He was on some really good Chargers teams, and he averaged around 3 yards per carry in close to a dozen playoff games. He had plenty of support and didn't get it done when it mattered. Great player, but I certainly don't feel sorry for him or his situation. He never put his team on his back when they needed him most.

Thanks for the extremely long rant that really has nothing to do with discussion. The question wasn't "was Barry Sanders the best RB ever",

The OP did say "perhaps the greatest of all time" and made the case that he was held back by his team, just like Peterson. He then disputed that and claimed Payton was a better comparison.

Maybe you should lay off being the forum police, because his post was far more relevant than yours... or now mine, dammit, you turned me into the forum police :doh:

The OP did say "perhaps the greatest of all time" and made the case that he was held back by his team, just like Peterson. He then disputed that and claimed Payton was a better comparison.

Maybe you should lay off being the forum police, because his post was far more relevant than yours... or now mine, dammit, you turned me into the forum police :doh:

I didn't get that kwolf was saying that Peyton was a better comparison. It just read like a post talking about how Barry wasn't the best, not even close. Including his final statement. Nowhere did he say "Payton would be a better comparison to AP than Barry."

Which will (has) lead to the topic being derailed. I wasn't trying to be the forum police.