[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How bad have your team's injuries been?

Papa Deuce

I'm 6 -2, and lead the league in points.... so they haven't killed me, and I am really getting lucky.

But I lost Julio for the year, Randall Cobb for at least 6 weeks, Calvin for a week, and Ray Rice for, was it one, or 2 weeks? And also lost DeMarco Murray for 2 weeks so far.

Yes, the injury bug sucks, but injuries happen every year. My goal at the draft is to land 5-6 RBs who produce something each week, and I am always on the lookout for RBs who are getting into the mix (Free Agent Forecast here at the Huddle is a good source of information; see Ellington, Andre).

I am less concerned about WRs, since there are plenty of options after the elite tier. Sure, I keep my eyes open for up-and-coming players (see Jones, Marvin) and players with opportunities due to injuries (see Douglas, Harry) but it is the rare season when I cannot find serviceable WRs each week.

RBs, on the other hand, are a much rarer commodity, so I like to keep my bench filled with viable options. I also dislike wasting roster space on players who are giant question marks (see Martin, Doug): I will take a backup RB Kendall Hunter any day over a "is he going to be back in three weeks or will he go IR" type of player. BTW: now is the last chance to find a space for Shane Vereen for those who want some RB depth going into FF playoff season; he is owned in only 39 percent of Yahoo! leagues right now and has been trending up for the past two weeks.

I drafted Martin, Ridley, Murray and McFadden (I did see that one coming) and Graham and Fitzgerald in the first 6 rounds. Lately it has been really tough, but McFadden and Graham saved me this week.

I almost hesitate to say it, lest I jinx things but very few injuries so far. Calvin and Fitz have been hampered, Calvin missed one game, was a decoy another, and Fitz was also lightly used in one game while banged up. But that is pretty much it. Will be 6-2 after this week, but could be headed for a loss next week with all 3 starting WR (Calvin, Fitz, DemThomas) on bye.

In my main local I have lost to date the following: Shane Vereen, Doug Martin, DeMarco Murray, and Randall Cobb to lengthy injuries (I have written off Cobb and Martin on this team). That is three of the four RBs I drafted and my #1 WR (Forte is the other one early RB pick). Yet I will be 5-2 in this league after Week Seven, as I have been able to find enough WW fodder to keep my team afloat (relying on the likes of Andre Ellington, Bilal Powell, Pierre Thomas, and Mike James to stay afloat).

Is it pretty? No, but I am competitive, and I will be either first or second in total points after Week Seven despite the losses. I say this not to brag (Lord knows I have made some awful decisions, like leaving Josh Gordon on the bench this week) but that a spate of injuries need not sink a team. Hell, maybe it was good that the Muscle Hamster got hurt, as I was probably going to stay with him until the end if he was healthy. Instead I turn to Andre Ellington and get a nice bonus yesterday, and if I can get 4-5 weeks of a healthy DeMarco Murray after the bye, my team should still be able to make some playoff noise.

So, the point is you have to keep digging and working the WW (and trades, if possible) to keep the team going. Yes, a little luck is involved, but being first to the WW to snag Harry Douglas two weeks ago does not take a lot of brains.

Edited by historymike

So far so good my only players that hot hit where both expect Foster & Danny A. , I do have Hawkins that I'm expecting back in the next week or two & hopefully Foster is back next week , so far so good looking at the rest of the rosters in my league

• 1 month later...

With AP and Gronk going down today this seems to be the year of surviving.... I lost Doug Martin and A.Rod in one league and SJax for most of the year in another...I know it has been worse for others in my leagues, any horror stories from Huddlers?

OK, so far....

AP today, and I bet the rest of the season

Calvin, basically 2 weeks

Randall Cobb

Julio

DeMarco Murray

Aaron Rodgers

and Ray Rice... injured, but also sucks.

And I have already won my league. We are total points, and nobody can catch me. The closest team to me is about 250 points behind me, and his team averages 99.8 points per week, and I average 117.9. And I already have 81 today, with DeMarco Murray left to play.

I have just been blessed with otherwise good fortune.... and the willingness to draft Josh Gordon, in about the 12th round, LOL.

I've actually been rather fortunate. I traded for Cobb in one league, only to lose him that week. Fortunately that team's stacked so it wasn't a killer. Just lost AP in that league, but with a solid core of McCoy, Murray, Calvin, Andre and Marshall I "should" be fine the next 3 weeks, assuming I win here this week.

In another league I traded for (and subsequently lost the next week) Rashad Jennings and Sean Lee. Lee's back this week so hopefully he leads me to a "W". :tup:

My 3 keepers in my keeper league this year: Rogers, Martin, Cobb

Also drafted Gronkowski.

My free agent replacement for Martin - Mike James.

Still went 8-5 and on the verge of winning my first round playoff game if Marshall and Dan Bailey do not outscore Jeffery by 30 points tonight.

I have two players from my draft this season that are still on my roster and are active - Giovani Bernard and Knowshon Moreno.

Team 1: Lost Martin, Wayne and the Vereen absence, faced the 2nd most points, finished 3rd of 10.

Team 2: Just the Vereen absence, finished 2nd of 10 - 1st rd playoff bye.

Team 3: Vereen absence, finished 2nd of 14. Won $75 for the 2nd place reg season finish ($50 entry). :yes:

Team 4: Lost LeVeon and A Brown preseason, Vereen and S-Jax absences, lost Julio, and just lost Gronk and Welker, finished 1st of 10, #1 in points scored and #1 in least points faced.

Team 5: Points league: Lost Martin, Wayne and Julio, Vereen absence. The top 3 teams are all with single digits of one another, I'm #2 of 10. (benched Cameron for L Green this week :bash:)

Team 6: Traded away Wayne the week before he got hurt :oops: , Vereen absence, 1st of 10. #1 in points scored by a mile.

Bring on the playoffs!

Edited by PPIchamp