[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Challenges

Shorttynaz

1:13 to go in the half (Colts/Jags), TY Hilton catches a questionable 1st down at the goal line, Gus Bradley challenges and they stop play.

I thought you can't challenge within 2 minutes of a half ending? Doesn't it have to be initiated by the booth??

Edited by Shorttynaz

That's what I thought too. I don't remember that rule changing. The refs are definitely gonna be punished harshly for that one.

They overturned it too - never mentioned anything about being an official booth review - was noted as a challenge by the Jags and a challenge they won..

According to the official game log it was a challenge by replay official not JAX

3-3-JAC 7 (1:12) (Shotgun) 12-A.Luck pass short left to 13-T.Hilton to JAC 2 for 5 yards (22-W.Guy). The Replay Official challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) 12-A.Luck pass incomplete short left to 13-T.Hilton.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014092104/2014/REG3/colts@jaguars#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000398539

Probably just a case of announcers and/or officials not communicating properly.

More than likely. It was sketchy at best. Luck was about to snap the ball, Bradley ran down the field, threw the red flag halfway across the field, and only THEN did the officials stop Luck from snapping it.

Also, I thought it was also a penalty for challenging something that was already being reviewed? I remember a big uproar last year or two years ago. Something along the lines of a turnover and score, a coach challenged it, and the team was penalized 15 yards after the play was reviewed and overturned.

Edited by Shorttynaz

More than likely. It was sketchy at best. Luck was about to snap the ball, Bradley ran down the field, threw the red flag halfway across the field, and only THEN did the officials stop Luck from snapping it.

Also, I thought it was also a penalty for challenging something that was already being reviewed? I remember a big uproar last year or two years ago. Something along the lines of a turnover and score, a coach challenged it, and the team was penalized 15 yards after the play was reviewed and overturned.

I think they changed the rule about penalizing the team who inadvertently throws a challenge flag in the last 2 minutes. Sounds like Bradley talked him into reviewing the play. Must be the first time that's ever happened.......

• Like 1

I think they changed the rule about penalizing the team who inadvertently throws a challenge flag in the last 2 minutes.

Yep. There were charged with a timeout for attempting to challenge. If they didn't have any, they would be penalized for delay of game and the play would not be reviewed.

Didn't that rule get changed after that weird Justin Forsett touchdown on Thanksgiving against the Lions a couple of years ago? I seem to remember Schwartz challenging the play, and even though the replay clearly showed that Forsett was down, because Schwartz challenged, the Lions were penalized and the play was not allowed to be reviewed. Talk about asinine rules!

Didn't that rule get changed after that weird Justin Forsett touchdown on Thanksgiving against the Lions a couple of years ago? I seem to remember Schwartz challenging the play, and even though the replay clearly showed that Forsett was down, because Schwartz challenged, the Lions were penalized and the play was not allowed to be reviewed. Talk about asinine rules!

Correct. An inadvertent challenge flag in a similar situation now counts as a regular challenge.

Yeah, I was partially wrong above. In that case, inside 2 minutes, the team is charged with a timeout and it's reviewed. If they don't have one, they are penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct and the booth then determines if it is reviewed.

If it's just a challenge of something that can't be challenged, they just deny the challenge opportunity completely.