[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Martavis Bryant

InTomWeTrust

Heard he is going to enter rehab, has missed several tests, not a good sign whether its "just Josh Gordon" or he has more serious issues. This isn't some guy saying "well I didn't know it was a banned substance" or "I thought the deadline elapsed and I could start drinking again".

Heard he is going to enter rehab, has missed several tests, not a good sign whether its "just Josh Gordon" or he has more serious issues. This isn't some guy saying "well I didn't know it was a banned substance" or "I thought the deadline elapsed and I could start drinking again".

Read his agent states he suffers with depression.

Read his agent states he suffers with depression.

I did see that mentioned somewhere that this isn't "partying this is some guy who suffers from depression", didn't notice the source or really consider it the view of a mental health professional who has talked to Bryant. Sounded more like trying to paint a better picture by saying there is something causing him to do this, not just him wanting to get high.

How long you think before the NFL just decides fu©k it we're giving up trying to stop people from smoking Josh Gordon cause if this rate were to keep up, the entire league will be suspended in about 15 years.

Number of substance abuse suspensions in 2005: 8

Number of substance abuse suspensions in 2015: 54

I recognize not all of those are for Josh Gordon but surely the increase is in large part a result of more people smoking since it has rapidly become more socially acceptable in the past few years and that is only going to continue to grow, no?

also, unrelated to if martavis' instance is actually just Josh Gordon or additional issues, i still think the tide has turned and it's not going back, and at some point the NFL is going to have to give up and admit they can't control this.

Also, if the reason they can't use cannabis isn't due to health (as even the most extreme critics have to admit it's safer than alcohol, but they're still allowed to drink), and it's because cannabis is illegal while alcohol is not, how can they tell players who smoked in a state where it's decriminalized or legalized that that's not ok?

Also, if the reason they can't use cannabis isn't due to health (as even the most extreme critics have to admit it's safer than alcohol, but they're still allowed to drink), and it's because cannabis is illegal while alcohol is not, how can they tell players who smoked in a state where it's decriminalized or legalized that that's not ok?

Easily. It is still illegal federally. The feds can go into any state and make them enforce the federal law as well.

Also to add to Morning Mud's post, its not about legality in the US. They are a private company and can ban any substance they want for whatever reasons they want. You want to smoke it fine, but you will be at risk to lose large sums of money.

• Like 1

Also to add to Morning Mud's post, its not about legality in the US. They are a private company and can ban any substance they want for whatever reasons they want. You want to smoke it fine, but you will be at risk to lose large sums of money.

The legality may result in some change in policy of sports leagues and others that ban it, but I wouldn't expect all employers to adopt do that, and certainly not while it is still illegal in most places and with the feds.

The increase in suspensions is likely due to more and more athletes being stupider than before thinking they can get away with getting high sometimes (or hanging out with your friends who get high if you're Josh "It was second hand smoke" Gordon). I don;t think the NFL is testing more often, I don't think more people entering the NFL have a desire to smoke it.

Its pretty simple, you're in your early 20s, set to makes 10s of million with a 10-15-20 year career (average more in the 5-10 or less) quit smoking pot during tha time or risk throwing it all all.

Easily. It is still illegal federally. The feds can go into any state and make them enforce the federal law as well.

Legality is pretty irrelevant. They collectively bargained away their right to do all kinds of legal things. There are a ton of dietary supplements, cold remedies, and deer sprays that are perfectly legal in the US but for a variety of reasons (performance enhancing, masking, etc) will get an NFL player into hot water.

How long you think before the NFL just decides fu©k it we're giving up trying to stop people from smoking Josh Gordon cause if this rate were to keep up, the entire league will be suspended in about 15 years.

Number of substance abuse suspensions in 2005: 8

Number of substance abuse suspensions in 2015: 54

I recognize not all of those are for Josh Gordon but surely the increase is in large part a result of more people smoking since it has rapidly become more socially acceptable in the past few years and that is only going to continue to grow, no?

also, unrelated to if martavis' instance is actually just Josh Gordon or additional issues, i still think the tide has turned and it's not going back, and at some point the NFL is going to have to give up and admit they can't control this.

The legality may result in some change in policy of sports leagues and others that ban it, but I wouldn't expect all employers to adopt do that, and certainly not while it is still illegal in most places and with the feds.

The increase in suspensions is likely due to more and more athletes being stupider than before thinking they can get away with getting high sometimes (or hanging out with your friends who get high if you're Josh "It was second hand smoke" Gordon). I don;t think the NFL is testing more often, I don't think more people entering the NFL have a desire to smoke it.

Its pretty simple, you're in your early 20s, set to makes 10s of million with a 10-15-20 year career (average more in the 5-10 or less) quit smoking pot during tha time or risk throwing it all all.

The increase could easily be related to enforcing rules. I don't think it's a coincidence that Goodell became the commissioner in 2006 and the numbers of substance abuse suspensions have risen. Arrest rates don't always go up just because more crime is being committed; people tend to overlook the power of discretion and it really can't be measured.

• Like 1

Agreed a corporation can make this decision, of course. I'm just asking - how long until they decide smoochie it, this is a PR nightmare, there's a new suspension every week, and we look like a bunch of hypocritical stiffs getting our panties in a bunch over the devil's lettuce but not giving two smoochies about alcohol.

That's how it is right now, but at what point does the NFL decide it just isn't worth it to keep with the puritanism? (profit-wise as well as the image of the league, which are arguably two in the same)

like, if it's not as bad for your health as alcohol (or tobacco), then they have no health basis to keep it banned, and if it's legal or decriminalized in almost half the states at this point, they have no legal reason to keep it banned (in those states), so why does it have to be the case that "if you're in your early 20s.....quit smoking pot or risk throwing your career away"? are they just anti-fun?

Edited by pun

Agreed a corporation can make this decision, of course. I'm just asking - how long until they decide smoochie it, this is a PR nightmare, there's a new suspension every week, and we look like a bunch of hypocritical stiffs getting our panties in a bunch over the devil's lettuce but not giving two smoochies about alcohol.

That's how it is right now, but at what point does the NFL decide it just isn't worth it to keep with the puritanism?

never gonna happen

never gonna happen

really, how do you reckon?

i feel like it can't be more than 10 years. especially if/when it's legalized nationally, they'll get a lot of pressure to un-ban it. the league has shown time & again that their bottom line is by far their main concern. when they were criticized for the way they dealt with domestic violence for example, they reacted swiftly like they're a chameleon that will change its color to whatever will result in the largest profits and the best public image.

there are other good examples - they want to appeal to a female audience, so they direct a lot of their focus to breast cancer awareness; people criticize them for long-term player health, and they pretty quickly change some major rules. I'm sure others could name more examples.

surely it's going to eventually reach a point where they're suspending like 200 people per year and then an Aaron Rodgers or a JJ Watt type of player gets suspended..... and people will have finally had it, I don't see them holding onto the ban after that. or maybe they'd turn it into a fine instead of a suspension, there are probably more middle-of-the-road solutions they'll go for than completely tolerating it.

Edited by pun

That's how it is right now, but at what point does the NFL decide it just isn't worth it to keep with the puritanism? (profit-wise as well as the image of the league, which are arguably two in the same)

like, if it's not as bad for your health as alcohol (or tobacco), then they have no health basis to keep it banned, and if it's legal or decriminalized in almost half the states at this point, they have no legal reason to keep it banned (in those states), so why does it have to be the case that "if you're in your early 20s.....quit smoking pot or risk throwing your career away"? are they just anti-fun?

I don't see the problem here. Yes quit smoking pot or throw your career away Josh Gordon. Stop drinking alcohol all the time or throw your career away Johnny Manziel. Smoke a pack a day and throw your career away guy who can't run and I can't name.

• Like 1

I don't see the problem here. Yes quit smoking pot or throw your career away Josh Gordon. Stop drinking alcohol all the time or throw your career away Johnny Manziel. Smoke a pack a day and throw your career away guy who can't run and I can't name.

I do. There's a very clear difference between "stop drinking alcohol all the time" and "don't smoke Josh Gordon ever." And a difference between "don't smoke Josh Gordon ever" and "don't smoke a pack a day."

Should we also ban them from eating fast food and drinking soda? It could hinder their ability to run...

But the main problem is that the suspensions aren't deterring use, and the number of suspended players is gonna keep climbing until they'll just have tolerate it (or suffer the consequences of a decrease to their bottom line).

Edited by pun
  • Like 1

I do. There's a very clear difference between "stop drinking alcohol all the time" and "don't smoke Josh Gordon ever." And a difference between "don't smoke Josh Gordon ever" and "don't smoke a pack a day."

Should we also ban them from eating fast food and drinking soda? It could hinder their ability to run...

But the main problem is that the suspensions aren't deterring use, and the number of suspended players is gonna keep climbing until they'll just have tolerate it (or suffer the consequences of a decrease to their bottom line).

So your theory is to reward stupid? If they are told not to do something so they can go make millions playing a game, most will do it. The ones that don't can pay the consequences. Do you really think the NFL will stop rolling along because a couple guys aren't there? We miss them on our fantasy teams. Their teams miss them on the field. The NFL does not miss them in their ratings or wallets.

• Like 1

No there isn't. Its called consequences for your actions. If you smoke a pack a day your lung capabilities will degrade. If you drink all the time you will have problems functioning normally . You test for a banned substance, you will be suspended. I do not see why the NFL has to cater to a minority of players.

Please stop making Josh Gordon out to be something that has no negative side effects. If you are consistently smoking Josh Gordon guess what, your lung capabilities still degrade and you will have problems functioning normally.

If you are consistently smoking Josh Gordon guess what, your lung capabilities still degrade and you will have problems functioning normally.

Too bad they don't test for 'constantly smoking Josh Gordon' instead of 'been in the room with a smoker within a month'.

• Like 1

Too bad they don't test for 'constantly smoking Josh Gordon' instead of 'been in the room with a smoker within a month'.

Too bad people only claim realize that second hand smoke is the problem after the fact. If you're being tested for pot, don't stand around inhaling it. I didn't smoke as a teen, but hung out with friends who did smoke cigs, I often came home smelling like I smoked and would get grilled. If I had to I'd avoid those people so my parents wouldn't doubt me, luckily they understood.

pun seems to think that pot will be legal nationwide in 10 years, I doubt many share that view. Also thinks that will convince the NFL to stop treating it like a banned substance, I don't see that as a given. I might want it to change, but that doesn't mean it will, or that I will believe it can happen soon.

idk about 10 years, maybe 15, 20... idk. it's already either legal or decriminalized in 19 states. not medical - normal Josh Gordon - it's not a crime in 19 states. that's almost half the country. plus several will probably be added in november.

point is, the tide has long since turned and it's not going back imo, which leads to two basic issues for the NFL:

one, since it's more socially acceptable, more people (especially younger people, which contains the next generation of NFL players) will smoke. this is reflected in the 700% increase in the number of suspensions from 2005-2015. if this trend continues, that's going to be a major problem simply because too many players will be getting suspended, and I don't see how the NFL will be able to deal with it other than loosening the regulations in some way.

two, when a major player (or two... or ten) gets suspended and it ruins a super bowl contender or something like that, the public outcry would be overwhelming for the NFL, at least I think. maybe not the first time. maybe it'll take two, or three, or eight times. but this type of situation could easily effect their profits imo. they'd buckle as quick as they buckled to pressure from other situations like i talked about before (imo, but if you disagree that's cool).

If you smoke a pack a day your lung capabilities will degrade. If you drink all the time you will have problems functioning normally . You test for a banned substance, you will be suspended.

Please stop making Josh Gordon out to be something that has no negative side effects. If you are consistently smoking Josh Gordon guess what, your lung capabilities still degrade and you will have problems functioning normally.

the key word here that you don't seem to think is very important is 'consistently.'

you're of course right - a player could choose to drink or smoke their self to death. but they're given that choice because the NFL is not their mommy. they're adults and are expected to take personal responsibility for their actions - if they can manage to drink and smoke heavily, it's of course unlikely that they'll play well, but i'm sure some have pulled it off. either way, it's their prerogative. if a player drinks or smokes lightly/occasionally or during the offseason, it's unlikely to effect their play, and that's also their choice. or, if Russell Wilson wants to drink a beer once in his life, then again, totally up to him.

but if Russell (who does live in a place where the the old wacky tobacky is 100% legal by the way) wanted to share a Josh Gordon cigarette with Ciara instead of drinking a few beers, that'd get him suspended. does that seem right to you?

Edited by pun