[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Cassell is a Defense Assassin

Cowboyz1

He single handily demoralized our defense today. I have never seen a worse QB with regards to pocket presence, reads or accuracy. He's just horrid. This defense was so ready to take the game over and did so for three series yet when Cassell came in and couldn't make the most basic of throws he destroyed their desire and energy to play. You can't have a QB like that and expect your team to play for you. He's a cancer that destroys the heart of your team by eliminating all hope of success on offense.

If Kellen Moore doesn't start the rest of the season, I'm done for the year 2015. There is no excuse now to not start Moore the rest of the season. He honestly can't possibly be any worse then what we saw today and the past few weeks. It's sickening to see a team fight so hard just to watch a QB kill your entire teams motivation to play.

Cassell is an Assassin to our defense. After three straight stops Cassell comes in and puts them right back on the field. Totally disgusting. Almost purposely playing to lose. I believe if Moore doesn't start the rest of the season Garrett loses the team. Because if you start Cassell you are saying to the entire team, "we aren't playing to win".

I am so disgusted. I don't think I have ever seen such a horrid QB. I thought Weeden was bad but Cassell is worse. The fact they had these two as our backups is mind boggling.

Edited by Cowboyz1

He single handily demoralized our defense today. I have never seen a worse QB with regards to pocket presents, reads or accuracy. He's just horrid. This defense was so ready to take the game over and did so for three series yet when Cassell came in and couldn't make the most basic of throws he destroyed their desire and energy to play. You can't have a QB like that and expect your team to play for you. He's a cancer that destroys the heart of your team by eliminating all hope of success on offense.

If Kellen Moore doesn't start the rest of the season, I'm done for the year 2015. There is no excuse now to not start Moore the rest of the season. He honestly can't possibly be any worse then what we saw today and the past few weeks. It's sickening to see a team fight so hard just to watch a QB kill your entire teams motivation to play.

Cassell is an Assassin to our defense. After three straight stops Cassell comes in and puts them right back on the field. Totally disgusting. Almost purposely playing to lose. I believe if Moore doesn't start the rest of the season Garrett loses the team. Because if you start Cassell you are saying to the entire team, "we aren't playing to win".

I am so disgusted. I don't think I have ever seen such a horrid QB. I thought Weeden was bad but Cassell is worse. The fact they had these two as our backups is mind boggling.

Marble warmer?

• Like 1

And I don't think you can blame giving up 200+ yards rushing on the bad play of the QB ... just sayin'

I can. They leaked pretty badly in the first half but the second half they figured it out. They stopped the Green Bay offense three straight times and then watched Cassell do absolutely nothing. Even with a solid running game taking the pressure off. You could see it after the third time. Look at the time of possession. The defense just got worn out and demoralized realizing they had no chance of winning anymore. That last series they just didn't have anything left. Cassell took their momentum and enthusiasm and threw it right back in their face telling them in essence "why are you guys killing yourselves out there? You know I can't play this game and have no hope of scoring or even getting a few first downs. So just take it easy guys and save your energy cause you up again. We simply can't win with me under center. Haven't you figured that out by now?"

Edited by Cowboyz1

I can. They leaked pretty badly in the first half but the second half they figured it out. They stopped the Green Bay offense three straight times and then watched Cassell do absolutely nothing. Even with a solid running game taking the pressure off. You could see it after the third time. Look at the time of possession. The defense just got worn out and demoralized realizing they had no chance of winning anymore. That last series they just didn't have anything left. Cassell took their momentum and enthusiasm and threw it right back in their face telling them in essence "why are you guys killing yourselves out there? You know I can't play this game and have no hope of scoring or even getting a few first downs. So just take it easy guys, we can't win with me under center. Haven't you figured that out by now?"

If and when a team gives up ... that is on the head coach.

If and when a team gives up ... that is on the head coach.

Yes, the coach should have pulled him to show the team he sees what's happening and cares to try something new. I totally agree. If we find out that Cassell is starting next week, the team will revolt and I wouldn't blame them one bit. In fact, he is flirting with getting fired if he plays him which I thought was unthinkable before now because Jerry love the guy. There is a lot of blame to go around but it begins with whomever decided that Weeden and Cassell could play in this league. They are the worst QB's in this league starting for any team. I challenge you to find me another QB with less talent and ability then these two.

yeah....Anyway, I don't want to start another thread but..in addition to not throwing the ball to Dez, how does McFadden avg 12 yds a carry only get 9 carries? What a mess..

If that's his contention, then everyone on defense is not a professional and just a big group of babies. I'm not going to do my job because our QB sucks. I'm going to get gashed and look like a fool because our QB sucks. Sounds like sour grapes of a team that got gashed on the ground when they've been used to doing the damage. :oldrollseyes:

If that's his contention, then everyone on defense is not a professional and just a big group of babies. I'm not going to do my job because our QB sucks. I'm going to get gashed and look like a fool because our QB sucks. Sounds like sour grapes of a team that got gashed on the ground when they've been used to doing the damage. :oldrollseyes:

"yeah...anyway" was my contention that his contention was silly. Not sure why I quoted your post. They got gashed because they suck.

Well C1 has been touting all year long how good the Cowboy defense is ... so when the defense fails horribly he has to find fault somewhere else, anywhere else.

Don't be obtuse grits. You know what I am saying. It's one thing to play your guts out tired and quite another to play your guts out tired without hope of winning. You see it all the time in the NFL. A team that can't move the ball wears their defense down and by the 4th quarter you can have all the resolve and fight you want to but it's hard to keep playing at a high level when your gassed. However, you can also see teams that are gassed and find a way to make one more play because they know if they do their offense will find a way to keep them in the game. Subtract that hope and now you have a gassed bunch of players just trying to hold on. It's human nature, if you remove hope, it's hard to fight for something all out.

When are cowboys fans going to run jerry out of town? His constant excuses and defense of indefensible positions have got to be driving them insane. I hate the cowboys, but I do feel sorry for their fans. I can't think of another instance where one man's arrogance has cost a team so much. I will never understand how he still thinks that he is a good general manager 20 years since the last Super Bowl appearance. No other GM would still have their job. Cowboys fans are the only ones that do anything...start a petition...have a protest...boycott something...dang.

Press: Can you tell us why the defense allowed over 200 yards rushing to a Green Bay team that has been struggling offensively?

Coach Garrett: Sure, our problem is that our offense can't sustain drives, specifically Cassell can't make plays. This just rips the heart out of the defense. When the defense sees Cassell struggling they just give up hope and lay down on the field.

Press: McFadden was having a good deal of success, do you think it might have taken some of the pressure off of Cassell to give the ball to McFadden more than 9 times?

Coach Garrett: Well you see once Cassell threw that first interception off of Dez Bryant's hands on the first drive in a 0-0 game the defense just decided the game was over and gave up hope. However, in a moment of strength, the defense stood up and stopped Green Bay on a 4th and 1 on the 1. I was proud, a tear came to my eye ... and the defense had this gleam in their eye like they might have rediscovered their hearts. On 2nd down Cassell hooked up with Bryant and my hope soared sky high ... but Byrant came up 1 yard short and Turbin just couldn't get 1 yard on the next play. It was at this point that the defense knew they had lost the game and stopped playing.

Press: But wasn't it still 0-0 at that time? Why would the defense decide to stop playing?

Coach Garrett: Don't ask me, I'm just the head coach. Maybe Jerry Jones can answer that. Anyway Green Bay then ran 8 plays and scored a TD. Again, this is all Cassell's fault ... had Cassell only lead his team on a more sustained drive resulting in points we wouldn't have been in this position.

Press: I'm not sure I understand? At this point you were only down 1 TD, weren't you still in the game at that point.

Coach Garrett: Well you would THINK we were still in the game, but you have failed to consider Cassell's inability to make plays and Dez Bryant's inability complete a catch in bounds. I almost had a hope when I saw Bryant bring down that 28 yard pass from Cassell ... I thought maybe the nightmare was over. But Cassell and Dez, well they just don't have chemistry. This time it took Green Bay 11 plays to score a TD. You have to understand by this point in the game the defense was so disheartened and gassed that really we just didn't have a chance.

Press: Down by only 2 TDs in the first half, you didn't have a chance? Did I understand you correctly?

Coach Garrett: Weren't you watching the same game I was?

Press: Uhm ... okay .. well if Cassell is such a disaster did you consider inserting Moore? And why didn't McFadden get some more touches.

Coach Garrett: Are you questioning my personnel decisions and our play calling? I've already told you ... the problem is Cassell.

Press: At half time you were only down 2 TDs. And with your ... uhm ... with your belief that Cassell is the cause of the teams woes did you consider trying to get the ball to McFadden more?

Coach Garrett. Absolutely ... did you notice the first play of the 2nd half that we called his number? But he only got 2 yards and I thought it was time to keep the defense guessing and build Cassell's confidence with 2 straight passes. I think it almost worked too.

Press: You've said that the defense had already given up hope and stopped playing, but didn't they stop Green Bay on their first possession in the first half? And didn't the offense respond by actually scoring a TD and making it a 7 point game? And was that success because all 4 plays on the scoring drive were running plays?

Coach Garrett: I am telling you that the defense doesn't play well when Cassell is the QB, you're just going to have to believe me on that one. And I am not stupid, of course those 4 running plays were successful, that is plain for all to see. But you have to remember the key to success in the NFL is being unpredictable and mixing up the plays.

Press: You've mentioned several times that the defense gave up hope and lost heart because Cassell was under center on the offense. But in the 3rd quarter wouldn't it be fair to say that game was largely defensive stops by both teams and that Dallas out performed Green Bay in the 3rd quarter with the lone score in that quarter? Wouldn't you agree that both team defenses would have expended the same amount of energy by this point in the game; that Dallas' defense wouldn't be any more gassed than Green Bay's?

Coach Garrett: How many times do I have to repeat, Cassell kills our defense.

Press: Does Cassell call the defensive plays?

Coach Garrett: Of course not, but he rips the hearts out of the defense. Trust me on this one.

Press: Is it possible that the fact that the Dallas defense ranks near the bottom of the league in take aways might be contributing to the overall poor performance of this team?

Coach Garrett: No that is not possible, it is all Cassell's fault.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 1

"Almost purposely playing to lose. "

I know angry fans say a lot of dumb stuff, I probably do as well, but I'm less inclined to post it for others to read. I didn't watch the game, expecting it to be a GB blowout. But I doubt Cassell is this bad, or deserves the blame for the defense not playing well.

Didn't they win there first game in years without Romo while Cassell ws in there?

"Almost purposely playing to lose. "

I know angry fans say a lot of dumb stuff, I probably do as well, but I'm less inclined to post it for others to read. I didn't watch the game, expecting it to be a GB blowout. But I doubt Cassell is this bad, or deserves the blame for the defense not playing well.

Didn't they win there first game in years without Romo while Cassell ws in there?

You didn't watch the game obviously.

Press: Can you tell us why the defense allowed over 200 yards rushing to a Green Bay team that has been struggling offensively?

Coach Garrett: Sure, our problem is that our offense can't sustain drives, specifically Cassell can't make plays. This just rips the heart out of the defense. When the defense sees Cassell struggling they just give up hope and lay down on the field.

Press: McFadden was having a good deal of success, do you think it might have taken some of the pressure off of Cassell to give the ball to McFadden more than 9 times?

Coach Garrett: Well you see once Cassell threw that first interception off of Dez Bryant's hands on the first drive in a 0-0 game the defense just decided the game was over and gave up hope. However, in a moment of strength, the defense stood up and stopped Green Bay on a 4th and 1 on the 1. I was proud, a tear came to my eye ... and the defense had this gleam in their eye like they might have rediscovered their hearts. On 2nd down Cassell hooked up with Bryant and my hope soared sky high ... but Byrant came up 1 yard short and Turbin just couldn't get 1 yard on the next play. It was at this point that the defense knew they had lost the game and stopped playing.

Coach Garrett: How you all doin folks.
Press: Fine Coach
Coach Garrett: Sure, it started last year. You see I told that rat faced bastage that Weeden can't play in this league. But he wouldn't listen. I explained we lost our starting running back to the pouching Eagles who wanted him just to deprive us rather then actually use him, so I told him we need to make sure we have a quality backup QB. Jerry's reply was "have you seen Weeden pass in practice coach? I have, I replied. If you can't coach this kid to throw that beautiful ball to a receiver then I don't know what to tell ya.
Well, says coach, it's not that I can't coach him to throw the ball, it's that he doesn't have balls, or the brains to stand there and pick out the right guy and typically he needs more then 10 seconds to make up his mind.
Today the defense played stepped up in the second half and stopped the Packers on three straight series. It took all they had to do that hoping they could get back into the game. Cassell, however, would have none of it. He insisted they stop playing like that because he wasn't about to help them out and let them rest at all. So in the end, our defense was hung out to dry by our rat faced owner.
Edited by Cowboyz1

Placing blame on the GM when the team lacks depth is appropriate.

Placing blame on the QB or the GM when the team loses heart and gives up is stupid.

If the defense was as good as you claim C1 then they would play for a full 60 minutes/4 quarters.

Of course you are the guy that thought the Cowboys were up and coming when they were on a 3 game losing streak.