[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Feedback request: Videos

Cory J. Bonini

As you may have noticed, we recently began an increase in video content on the site. The videos have all been free to view and are mostly lists with minimal text. I'd like to get some feedback to see how we can improve the videos, or if you even want to view them. Some people prefer to read, others to watch videos, and some a mixture of the two. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and thoughts.

Haven't been looking at info much yet, but I prefer to read, somewhat just old school that way. But often I'm doing this stuff at work, and even during lunch watching videos requires headphones (during work hours a no-no) where reading is more easily done anywhere at anytime and far less conspicuous.

So long as the weekly stuff stays in mostly text form probably won't matter much to me.

I guess I would say the videos aren't really videos - they're pictures with background music and some text on the screen. That format is less helpful to me than an article.

True videos would be a nice addition but I think there needs to be some back and forth with more than one person speaking.  If it's just one person then it's not much different from an article.

Like most of the commenters here, I strongly prefer reading.  I rarely listen to podcasts, and I have I not watched a huddle video.  The one time I tried to watch a video, it wouldn't run.  I thought it might be an article when I clicked on it, but when I saw it was a video, I didn't bother figuring out the issue.

And please...please don't have videos auto-play.

Edited by CowboysDiehard

On 7/29/2017 at 9:11 AM, stethant said:

I guess I would say the videos aren't really videos - they're pictures with background music and some text on the screen. That format is less helpful to me than an article.

True videos would be a nice addition but I think there needs to be some back and forth with more than one person speaking.  If it's just one person then it's not much different from an article.

I agree. This would be the perfect way of producing videos -- point/counterpoint style. The production requirements are too great, so we've avoided them for now.

On 7/29/2017 at 6:33 PM, heehawks said:

Just watched a few of the "videos", and they are just not that informative imho. I would much rather read an article. :2cents:

Thanks. It is an unfortunate byproduct of covering multiple players in one video. We are also exploring shorter videos focusing exclusively on data for one player.

On 7/28/2017 at 0:23 PM, stevegrab said:

Haven't been looking at info much yet, but I prefer to read, somewhat just old school that way. But often I'm doing this stuff at work, and even during lunch watching videos requires headphones (during work hours a no-no) where reading is more easily done anywhere at anytime and far less conspicuous.

So long as the weekly stuff stays in mostly text form probably won't matter much to me.

The video format doesn't require listening to absorb the subject matter. We use text overlays on imagery instead of voice-over work to prevent this issue.

The weekly content will remain text-based.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. It looks like most of the responses are in the same vein of reasoning. We never will replace substantive articles with a video format, so rest assured. All of our video offerings are freebies and will remain separate from a subscription. The primary purpose of the videos is to augment our existing offerings in a different way for social media and mobile consumption.

1 hour ago, Cory J. Bonini said:

The video format doesn't require listening to absorb the subject matter. We use text overlays on imagery instead of voice-over work to prevent this issue.

The weekly content will remain text-based.

Thanks for the chance to provide our feedback. The text helps but still watching something that is a video is something I'd avoid in some cases. And with the limited amount of info there a short list would be readable faster, not sure what the still photos of players adds to it.

Sounds like something with a target audience that is not represented here, at least with the comments posted.

Hopefully the staff is primarily spending their time on the content for paying customers and not freebie videos for social media.