[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade term Agreements

Gourdeau

I am the commish in my local. The Zeke Owner offered me a conditional trade, sending me Zeke and Agholor for Demarco Murray and Demaryius Thomas. The condition was that the trade would be void if Zeke is suspended before week 3, I countered with week 4, and in turn added that he could keep Thomas and I would get Murray back if the suspension occurred and he accepted the deal... Now I see he makes a trade with another owner, sending Murray in the deal and says it was never discussed that Murray could not be traded. I'm saying he's right, but it was also assumed in the deal by me that the terms followed Murray no matter who owned him and that it is his obligation to notify the other owner of the terms attached to Murray. Now the other owner is pissy about it and wants a vote, I'm saying no, no vote, it's simple scenario, and I will approve the trade ONLY if he accepts the terms that come with Murray. 

Would like opinions on this.. I've never made or seen a conditional trade made in our league, I have no issues with it but it's annoying when people seek out ways to find loopholes.. Is it a coincidence that this owner is a Pats fan lol

I think it is just asking for trouble allowing trades that can be undone weeks later under certain conditions.  What if Zeke broke his leg?  Or Murray?  IF such a conditional trade were allowed to exist, I think neither party should be able to trade or cut the players involved until the trade becomes permanent.

My expieriences in different leagues leads me to thinking that the simpler a commissioner can keep things like trades and pick ups.....the better! Either he wants to trade the risk that comes along with Zeke and take a little less or he doesn't....that would be how I would do it...without all the complicated conditions to try to keep up with. Just my opinion.

I hate voting on trades, but since you're the commish and it involves you, and you want to push it, you might want to put it for a vote (if voting is in your bylaws).  If there was an offer and acceptance (as opposed to "hey I might be willing down the line") with whatever conditions, an honest person would honor it.  You might get permission to enforce it if they thing he's welching, or you might get hit with ridicule and No votes out of spite or jealousy. 

I commish 2 leagues

I've never seen conditions such as this allowed for conditional trades, and those leagues I'm in that allow conditional trades lock all the assets in the trade until the conditional aspect of the deal is gone.  

Personally i feel the conditions travel with the player,( and  that murray should never of been allowed to be traded) 

The question the league must answer is, what happens if you send thomas back (due to zeke being suspended).  How are you compensated.  The other owner cant be able to void the condition by trading the asset.  

Id also argue that the entire league accepted the conditions of the murray zeke trade when the deal was approved, and all owners had tje ability to raise concerns at that point.  Right now, as the commiah you are only reminding the other owner of those conditions, and allowing him a second chance to back out of the deal.

I hope your moving quickly in this

These "conditions" put in the trade seem to border closely to roster sharing.  In the future, either accept the risk or don't (or ask for future compensation if said condition occurs like his 3rd for your 5th round draft pick).  There should never be a possibility of a void/reverse on a trade 3-4 weeks later.  

Agree the owner looking to acquire Murray either accepts the condition as is or doesn't.  Would also be very frustrated as that owner to learn of conditions after the fact.  Those should of been disclosed to the league when the trade occurred.    

9 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

it doesn't matter of y'all dislike conditions, that wasn't the question.

Yes, the conditions travel with the player. If the conditions weren't made publicly, then the terms are void. If the terms were made open, then the team receiving the player with the conditions is responsible for filling them.

like it or not, it's that simple.

Can comment on both the question and the settings behind it.  It was put out there, so it is fair game. 

• Thanks 1

These words:  " it was also assumed in the deal by me"

Well...you know what they say about assumptions.  Trades have been made, and the players are now on other rosters.  The people who own the rosters are the ones who own the rights to the players.  End of story.  That's the message you send to your owners.  You also state that it's incorrect to attach terms to trades, this should never have been done, and is the root cause of the mess your league finds itself in on this matter.  In fact, you add a rule to your league that says 'Once a player has been traded from your roster, he cannot return to your roster for the duration of the season, even via drop/add'.  This is a specific rule I have in my league which serves to stop any of this nonsense at the start.

Unless you do the above, you will continue to stew in this mess.  That's my :2cents:

Edited by CowboysDiehard
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, skindzier said:

I think it is just asking for trouble allowing trades that can be undone weeks later under certain conditions.  What if Zeke broke his leg?  Or Murray?  IF such a conditional trade were allowed to exist, I think neither party should be able to trade or cut the players involved until the trade becomes permanent.

Agree completely, have never had that kind of conditional trade, and if there is a condition where you can get players back, that is part of that player status, either they are not allowed to be traded or the "give back" is part of the future trades.

I'd suggest a resolution to undo the original trade (assuming nobody has been used in a game yet).

Also any and all conditions of a trade should be shared with the entire league, when we have a trade on the website that includes anything other than players traded (including draft picks), a message is sent out explaining that. If you had done that initially then ALL OWNERS would know about your potential to get Murray back, and been leary of trading for him. IMHO the other guy is trying to pull a fast one, trade Murray, then if Zeke is suspended he'll demand Zeke back and tell you to talk to Murray's current owner.

Most conditional trades we've seen involve the compensation being increased (higher or extra draft pick) based on how a guy finished the season ranked in position, or if they ended up being a keeper (usually that is worded as "for any team" so if you trade the player acquired and somebody keeps them that counts).

16 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Id also argue that the entire league accepted the conditions of the murray zeke trade when the deal was approved, and all owners had tje ability to raise concerns at that point. Right now, as the commiah you are only reminding the other owner of those conditions, and allowing him a second chance to back out of the deal.

I hope your moving quickly in this

You're assuming the entire league knew about that condition, I suspect they did not. Otherwise the team trying to get Murray would know about the potential trade back and want that in his trade as well.