[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How does league decide if a game gets delayed vs cancelled?

hezagenius

How does the league determine if a game gets delayed/cancelled vs just benching potentially exposed players?  Hypothetically, if someone like Brady or Mahomes were potentially exposed the day before the game, would the NFL delay it since they are bigger names?  Or would they tell TB or KC that he has to quarantine and the game proceeds as normal with their backup?

41 minutes ago, hezagenius said:

How does the league determine if a game gets delayed/cancelled vs just benching potentially exposed players?  Hypothetically, if someone like Brady or Mahomes were potentially exposed the day before the game, would the NFL delay it since they are bigger names?  Or would they tell TB or KC that he has to quarantine and the game proceeds as normal with their backup?

Unless it's a mass exposure It would be on the team to put a team out on the field. If they can't then I guess they'd forfeit it. There were scenarios last season where games were pushed back a day or two. I don think the NFL is going to be so lenient this year. If they have to put the practice squad out there, so be it. 

19 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Unless it's a mass exposure It would be on the team to put a team out on the field. If they can't then I guess they'd forfeit it. There were scenarios last season where games were pushed back a day or two. I don think the NFL is going to be so lenient this year. If they have to put the practice squad out there, so be it. 

The Browns played their season finale in PIT without a bunch of players and coaches due to some positive tests. I agree that there will be less flexibility this year. Below is a story from about a month ago that covers some of it (just started reading it now). I know I heard a bit when it was announced, relates in part to what happens if the cause is unvaccinated players. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-covid-19-outbreaks-unvaccinated-players-forfeit-cancelled-game

Just now, stevegrab said:

I agree that there will be less flexibility this year. Below is a story from about a month ago that covers some of it (just started reading it now). I know I heard a bit when it was announced, relates in part to what happens if the cause is unvaccinated players. 

Yeah, It's going to be very interesting to see what happens. Even if vaccinated exposure is exposure regardless. Nothing changes 

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

Yeah, It's going to be very interesting to see what happens. Even if vaccinated exposure is exposure regardless. Nothing changes 

Yes exposure is exposure, but the story clearly states that how it is handled will depend on whether the outbreak was caused by vaccinated vs. non-vaccinated people. That puts pressure on teams to both be vaccinated and continue to take precautions against having an outbreak. 

"If a game is cancelled/postponed because a club cannot play due to a Covid spike among or resulting from its non-vaccinated players/staff, then the burden of the cancellation or delay will fall on the club experiencing the Covid infection," the memo states. "We will seek to minimize the burden on the opposing club or clubs. If a club cannot play due to a Covid spike in vaccinated individuals, we will attempt to minimize the competitive and economic burden on both participating teams."

11 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

If a game is cancelled/postponed because a club cannot play due to a Covid spike among or resulting from its non-vaccinated players/staff, then the burden of the cancellation or delay will fall on the club experiencing the Covid infection," the memo states. "We will seek to minimize the burden on the opposing club or clubs. If a club cannot play due to a Covid spike in vaccinated individuals, we will attempt to minimize the competitive and economic burden on both participating teams."

That's about the stupidest thing I've ever read. 

16 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That's about the stupidest thing I've ever read. 

Who cares, it is the NFL policy, and teams will be held to it.  And this is not a place to debate your or my views on the pandemic, so save your drama for the tailgate.

13 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Who cares, it is the NFL policy, and teams will be held to it.  And this is not a place to debate your or my views on the pandemic, so save your drama for the tailgate.

I didn't read his comment as being a debate on the pandemic itself, but how the NFL policy in particular is ridiculous, and if this forum isn't the place for that then that will be news for a lot of people on here. 

Pooping dementia... :D