[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Project Thread

rajncajn

2 hours ago, Running With Daboll said:

Any mechanics out there?

2008 Elantra with relatively low mileage. Takes 4 or 5 turns to start, then idling roughly at lights.  Not stalling but bogs down initially when shifting gears (5 speed).  Takes a second or two to kick in, then runs fine on the open road. Not overheating, but has intermittent surges every couple of seconds when idling.

My DIY attempt at fixing includes:

Replaced plugs, wires and coil. Cleaned out the throttle body. Replaced air filter. Cleaned fuel injectors.

At this point I'm guessing it's a fuel delivery issue, but I don't think the fuel pump is failing. Could just be the filter but I'm not smelling any gas.

It's been like this for quite a while. Mechanics want too much money for a complete diagnostic test, so I'm still trying to fix it myself.  I suppose I could check the O2 sensors next, but I really think it's a problem with the fuel delivery system.

Any ideas?

Bring it to one of the parts stores and see if they will run a diagnostic on it. Most parts stores have a tester. Could be a fuel issue, but my first thought when reading was that it may have jumped time. 08 Elantra has a timing belt. May want to get that checked as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

@Running With DabollAsked a mechanic coworker & he said it could also be an O2 sensor or mass air flow sensor, but timing is also a possibility. A diagnostic should give you more info though. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I had a very similar issue a fews years back and it was an O2 sensor. It drove me crazy before I finally found out that's what it was. 

Thanks for the heads up.  Changed the timing belt about 45k miles ago, so it better not be that. I will definitely look into the 02 sensor.

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

It's not a green stick shift is it? 😊

Faded black, can't see the gear pattern anymore. 

They didn't make many Elantras with sticks, I have one of them. Been driving sticks all my life, but I think I'll be ready to make the "shift" to an automatic when this car is done.

I'll see if the O2 sensor is my problem, it's driving me nuts like it did to you.

43 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Faded black, can't see the gear pattern anymore. 

They didn't make many Elantras with sticks, I have one of them. Been driving sticks all my life, but I think I'll be ready to make the "shift" to an automatic when this car is done.

I'll see if the O2 sensor is my problem, it's driving me nuts like it did to you.

Haven't owned a stick since 06. Still miss it.

16 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I've driven automatics of course, just never owned one. Now that I'm an old bag, I think I'm ready for the "transmission transition". Getting a bit tired of driving with a stick these days, constantly having to shift in local traffic. I will miss the gas savings and just the general fun of driving a stick, but it'll also be nice just to brake and go at stop signs.

Turns out my car has several O2 sensors, but I'm only going to replace the pre-cat one in the front of the engine.  Hopefully that'll do the trick.

On 1/17/2023 at 2:26 PM, rajncajn said:

My first few cars were sticks, used to love it, driving around the back roads throwing the gears. Of course I still have motorcycles and they're all manual transmission, so I have that fun there. But even that is starting to change with some automatics and clutchless shifting setups. I doubt it will ever get to the ratio we see today in cars, but then I bet people from many decades ago never thought it would change that way either. 

I didn't like having a stick when I sat in stop-n-go traffic on the highway, and was glad that wasn't part of my commute. 

Pouring and sanding test pieces, black vs clear. Still have a bit of sanding to do, but the clear seems to be the winner so far. Didn't get as much done on the weekend as I wanted. Had to sand in the rain a little and stopped because of all the dust getting in the garage.

20221228_183308.thumb.jpg.13907908374dad572692f9fa18193339.jpg

20230122_142750.thumb.jpg.d95106f01cc30ca29d6d0f9677222088.jpg

Edited by rajncajn

These are the pieces sanded down with 120 grit and wetted down with a damp cloth, both to raise the grain and to get a general view of how they will look finished. I'm going to go over them again with 220 grit, wipe them down with mineral oil and decide which I'll go with.

These pieces really show both why I like the black and why I dislike it. The black really displays a nice contrast, especially against the lighter part of the wood.  However, if I do end up using it I'll have to be really careful not to overpour because it takes a ton of sanding to get rid of the excess and if I'm pouring over a knot then there's no getting the black stain out of it leaving a hazy looking blob which you can see on the top knot vs the one on the bottom where I was more careful with my pour.

20230125_085756.thumb.jpg.0aeb9b358062584ae810b10a246b3b83.jpg

20230125_085631.thumb.jpg.4e017af1251c53709fdbf94ae1328284.jpg

The clear here I think gives rhe best of both worlds. It adds some contrast, but doesn't overpower and also adds some depth. A lower grit should make the clarity a little better, but not so much so that the imperfections stand out. I will have to be very careful to get all the loose material out though and I will have to be much more vigilant with drawing the bubbles out. On the bottom piece, if you look closely, you can see a large bubble that appeared from nowhere. 

20230125_090005.thumb.jpg.a9188f37ab2d15b529750085cfdb8be8.jpg

20230125_090106.thumb.jpg.eb6a6c622c289a2412917035bfa3718d.jpg

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

What kind of wood it that, it's beautiful. It would be a sin to stain that a color. 

Locally sourced and milled red cedar. It will get a boiled linseed oil finish which will look somewhat close to what it does wet. When I'm done sanding the test pieces I'll rub them down with mineral oil and they'll look a lot closer to the finished product.

5 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Locally sourced and milled red cedar. It will get a boiled linseed oil finish which will look somewhat close to what it does wet. When I'm done sanding the test pieces I'll rub them down with mineral oil and they'll look a lot closer to the finished product.

That's a nice wood. You really shouldn't do anything with Cedar but I'd just clear cote it a matte clear coat if you must. 

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That's a nice wood. You really shouldn't do anything with Cedar but I'd just clear cote it a matte clear coat if you must. 

My issue with a clear coat is that, while it'll be on a covered porch, it'll still be outside and over time those tend to break down, flake & yellow which means I'll have to take it all apart again and refinish. With linseed oil all I'll need to do is retreat it every now and again and the oil has an added benefit of strengthening the wood some. If I was truly a professional I'd just pour the entire thing with epoxy, but I know for a fact I'd screw that up.

I just noticed the dog hair on the boards in my pics. Yeah, that won't be a part of the finished product. :lol:

Also, I obviously need to refinish my kitchen table. :bag:

Edited by rajncajn
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I just noticed the dog hair on the boards in my pics. Yeah, that won't be a part of the finished product. :lol:

Bits of your dog get to live on forever in the bench, that's cool. When we have cloning available your kids/grandkids could use it to make a new pooch. ;) 

54 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

With linseed oil all I'll need to do is retreat it every now and again and the oil has an added benefit of strengthening the wood some. If I was truly a professional I'd just pour the entire thing with epoxy, but I know for a fact I'd screw that up.

That's a good idea. I'd be hesitant to stain that. 

41 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

You're doing great with your little projects, the house looks great 

You know why it's like that? Katrina got all attention, but Hurricane Rita was just as devastating for southern Louisiana below New Orleans. Many people could not afford to build back, could not afford to move and could not sell their property due to it's un-insurability and new outlandish building regulations. Because of these ridiculously unrealistic regulations, people were forced to do whatever they could to get by and put a roof over their heads kinda like what is demonstrated in your picture. We have some of the same regulations here. In fact, there are still very few houses to the south of me because in order to build you have to be just as high off the ground as in your pic and the insurance is insane. Not far from where I am there are a couple of trailers on stilts similar to what you see here.