[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Project Thread

rajncajn

Just knock it out with a baseball bat as hard as you can. It will stun them right away and by the time they come to you will have knocked them far enough away so that you're safe.

Oh,  and be sure to have somebody film the whole thing so that you can share it with us after you recover.  :shades:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest got in a fender bender (literally) a few weeks ago and I had to do a temporary fix so that she could drive until I could get the parts to fix. I got the headlights in this week and installed them today, but I'm still on the hunt for a new fender and bumper cover.

20230629_180317.thumb.jpg.50aceb50319a1bdd6aed97c6c368be7a.jpg20230817_171544.thumb.jpg.9ebedb2b53676b40742d738b8e93e763.jpg

12 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Keg, it was a multi day effort.

It required patience but a steadfast dose of poison every few hours. What sucked is when we got it down, I ran over all that poison with the lawn mower a few days later and inhaled that sh!t in my lungs.

Was it just something like a can of wasp spray or did you have to use some special type of poison?

Would it have helped to run a sprinkler over the area for a couple of hours to dilute the poison and/or soak it into the ground before you mowed?

On 8/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, gilthorp said:

Keg, it was a multi day effort.

It required patience but a steadfast dose of poison every few hours. What sucked is when we got it down, I ran over all that poison with the lawn mower a few days later and inhaled that sh!t in my lungs.

Damn, man that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

I never posted my temporary patch-up job. Looks like crap, but at least it's drivable. Have I mentioned before that I absolutely hate this car? My in-laws gave it to my oldest when she started to drive and while the car was very well taken care of and it is very much appreciated,  there are certain things I don't like about it. My FIL changed the suspension on it so that it's slightly lower to the ground and supposedly more stable. However, the suspension is terrible and the car is all over the place with any disruption in the road. The worst part though is what led to her accident in the first place. The car has a horrible blind spot where the window columns come down. When turning you have to look around it just to see where you are going.

Anyway:

20230828_140305.thumb.jpg.80b76072e4dc96cfa1d19e4119be5fb4.jpg

Today's project: I got a letter in the mail from my new wind insurance policy warning that if I didn't cut the branches away from my roof that they would drop my policy. Bastards. There wasn't a single branch within 15 feet of my roof. I know that because I broke my old 15' pole saw clearing them away.

So, this time I ordered a 26' pole and let me tell you, that mofo is hell to try to control at full length. Definitely got my workout today. Got everything away from the roof, cut out a few dead branches and cut all the branches that were close to my power line. Here's a little before and after from over the roof. You can see the saw in the 1st picture leaning against one of the branches. Some of these I still had to get on the roof to reach.

20230901_134328.thumb.jpg.8ad321b187fec64e0da282d5d32e620e.jpg20230901_155748.thumb.jpg.bd1f8e2613dc905adddf496e6ae41ff6.jpg

My pile ended up about 6' high

20230901_172714.thumb.jpg.e08744258123de48a91a142feaa56111.jpg

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Looks like some of the cleanup my brother showed me after they had some trees downed at his property. His neighbor had a burn pile going all weekend. 

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere in the yard to burn. Too many trees. I used to haul everything across the street to an empty lot and the county would pick it up once a month,  but a new house was built next door and the couple bought both empty lots on either side of them. I had to stack and strap in the back of the truck and haul it all to the dump.

22 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere in the yard to burn. Too many trees. I used to haul everything across the street to an empty lot and the county would pick it up once a month,  but a new house was built next door and the couple bought both empty lots on either side of them. I had to stack and strap in the back of the truck and haul it all to the dump.

I've got a tall wooden fence along back edge of property, separates our homes from a retail complex. Over the years I've piled up a lot of debris there, making quite the habitat for the woodland creatures, good hunting for the local hawk population. 

• 1 month later...

I HATE working on newer cars. All damn day, missed the Saints game, missed visiting with out of town family. All because of a damn thermostat. What used to take maybe an hour tops has literally cost me an entire f'n day and I'm still not done. :bash::furious:

Who the designs this garbage?

Only pic I took was when I first removed the throttle body. You can't really see it, but the thermostat pipe passes below and in between the heads and the thermostat itself is underneath the left side. Needless to say it is a massive pain in the rear to work it out of there. It's even more a pain when you drop the mounting bolt in a place you can't see or reach. Then, finally got it all back together, cranked it up and it ran like crap. Also forgot to put the insulation foam back on top of the thermostat pipe. So, took the throttle body back off, replaced the foam and saw that I didn't plug the cable back into the throttle. All back together now and running fine.

20231008_151928.thumb.jpg.12a32e0c8caa0b420a4cf7c9fd9074d3.jpg

18 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I HATE working on newer cars. All damn day, missed the Saints game, missed visiting with out of town family. All because of a damn thermostat. What used to take maybe an hour tops has literally cost me an entire f'n day and I'm still not done. :bash::furious:

Who the designs this garbage?

You probably realize this but they don't design the cars with ease of repairs by a shade tree mechanic. I never worked on a car I owned, when I got into riding motorcycles 2 years ago I started to do a bit of maintenance, because many parts (tires) wear out quickly (5-6K miles) and the cost of taking it to the dealer was rather high. I've learned a bit over the years, but I've also seen things get far more complex, my most recent bike (2016 model) has all LED lights, if something goes out good luck with a cheap/simple repair involving a commonly available bulb from an auto parts store.

I hear some of my riding friends lamenting the same thing, but most of them have not shied away from buying newer vehicles depspite those headaches. My brother's BMW (F800GT) that he won in an annual club giveaway is worse than my Hondas, with fewer dealers around as well. 

I still won't work on my own cars, and know my limits on my bike.