[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RIP John Madden

whomper

7 hours ago, purplemonster said:

This is why I loved Madden. The nonsense bullmanureting during the game commenting on whatever. Nobody has been able to do it anywhere near as good as he has since, and it's been a while.  

I think that's what made him a one of a kind.  Not that he was a goofball, but that he could get away with being a goofball because he offset it with a wealth of football knowledge.  He was a coach at heart, a teacher both on and off the field.  And, he oozed football knowledge.  Players who never played for him still called him "Coach" or "Coach Madden."  And, everybody respected him like he was the godfather of football.  Not in a fearful or intimidating way, but with love and respect.  Madden once admitted that, right or wrong, football was his life.  But, he was also a great man with a huge heart.  The perfect example of this is the story of Madden and Darryl Stingley....

Madden will always hold a special place in Patriots history

Others have tried to be funny, but they either haven't had the football background/knowledge to go with the comedy (think Dennis Miller), or they HAVE the football knowledge, but just weren't as funny as they thought they were.  I don't even think Madden tried to be funny.  He just had a mind like no other, and really no filter.  Whatever came to his mind, came out of his mouth.  It was like John Candy meets Howard Cosell.  Sometimes, he stated the obvious (things like "they're going to have to score to win this game"), and sometimes it was downright silly (analyzing Aikman's beard, or talking about two Gatorade buckets having a baby).  Anybody else, and that schtick doesn't work.  But, with Madden, people loved it.  

John Madden on Letterman

Frank Caliendo Madden imitation on Letterman

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whomper said:

In one of the old Maddens , if you did a fake punt , Summeralls voice would say "Its a fake!" My friends and I till this day just randomly blurt that out on occasion. Summerall had an amazing braodcasting voice and Madden was so colorful. No better tandem will ever exist in a booth 

The voices of Madden and Summerall are what makes that game so great, in my opinion.  I hope they never change that part of it.  

The Stingley story is pretty incredible.  Imagine that happening today.  Player suffers a significant injury, and the opposing head coach not only stays with him at the hospital, but also calls the local airport to tell them to not let the player's head coach get on his plane.  I'm not judging the other coach, as I certainly don't know all of the details.  But, the story just personifies who Madden was.  All heart, but also a bit of a bull in a china cabinet.  He moved through the world in his own way, as elegantly as a giant of a man could, but also not afraid to say what was on his mind, even if it meant offending someone.  Madden ended up staying by Stingley's side, not for hours, not for days, but basically for months (as much as an NFL HC could).  Madden and his wife offered up their home and car to Stingley's family while they spent time in the area visiting Stingley.  Stingley later went on to say that he believed that his devastating injury played a big part in Madden's relatively early retirement from coaching.  

• Like 1

I started following football when I was about 5 (74).  At the time the raiders were a strong, fun team who really epitomized the personality of their coach.  while being a 49ers fan, it was easy to appreciate madden and his teams.  loved those matchups vs pitt, sd, den back then 

On 12/29/2021 at 3:33 PM, Gopher said:

The Stingley story is pretty incredible.  Imagine that happening today.  Player suffers a significant injury, and the opposing head coach not only stays with him at the hospital, but also calls the local airport to tell them to not let the player's head coach get on his plane.  I'm not judging the other coach, as I certainly don't know all of the details.  But, the story just personifies who Madden was.  All heart, but also a bit of a bull in a china cabinet.  He moved through the world in his own way, as elegantly as a giant of a man could, but also not afraid to say what was on his mind, even if it meant offending someone.  Madden ended up staying by Stingley's side, not for hours, not for days, but basically for months (as much as an NFL HC could).  Madden and his wife offered up their home and car to Stingley's family while they spent time in the area visiting Stingley.  Stingley later went on to say that he believed that his devastating injury played a big part in Madden's relatively early retirement from coaching.  

I never heard that story before, what a great guy.